Dragon Age: Inquisition

Rosbjerg

This was probably obvious to anyone, but it only clicked for me tonight when I was replaying Skyrim.  I was trying to figure out what it was that was "off" about the open world design BioWare went with in Inquisition.  The lack of villages/cities with lots of people living there/walking around.

Most of the maps in Inquisition didn't have a village.  There were outposts, half-filled old forts, and some little collections of individuals (like the tiny Dalish camp in the Exalted Plains), but none of the maps had large, sprawling villages with plenty of citizens and sidequests/stories associated with those citizens.

IMO, that's what I felt was lacking in their open world approach.  The open world games that do succeed at being sandbox games with great worlds are the ones that have multiple cities/towns you can pass through, each with their own quests and backstories.

Ditto Cassandra romance. I also had some personal quests fail to start, so that further limited my companion material. Still, in spite of the issues I mentioned, I'm still looking forward to a second playthrough. In great part due to comparing notes with a friend yesterday who had significant differences (well, for bioware anyway) in his story. :p

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

This was probably obvious to anyone, but it only clicked for me tonight when I was replaying Skyrim.  I was trying to figure out what it was that was "off" about the open world design BioWare went with in Inquisition.  The lack of villages/cities with lots of people living there/walking around.

Most of the maps in Inquisition didn't have a village.  There were outposts, half-filled old forts, and some little collections of individuals (like the tiny Dalish camp in the Exalted Plains), but none of the maps had large, sprawling villages with plenty of citizens and sidequests/stories associated with those citizens.

IMO, that's what I felt was lacking in their open world approach.  The open world games that do succeed at being sandbox games with great worlds are the ones that have multiple cities/towns you can pass through, each with their own quests and backstories.

Ditto Cassandra romance. I also had some personal quests fail to start, so that further limited my companion material. Still, in spite of the issues I mentioned, I'm still looking forward to a second playthrough. In great part due to comparing notes with a friend yesterday who had significant differences (well, for bioware anyway) in his story. :p

He got the blue ending, while you chose the green?  ;)

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Anyone else like the connect-the-dots astrariums? Some actually require me to think, I like those puzzles.

Some took me awhile, some where easy as hell.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Anyone else like the connect-the-dots astrariums? Some actually require me to think, I like those puzzles. 

Those were hit or miss for me.  Some of them I just "saw" the pattern right away, even if it was rather complex.  While others had me stumped even when they weren't that intricate.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

This is a brand new pathetic in text sizes. For pete's sake, offer SD text sizes as well. I can't bloody read the menus. It's worse than Stick of Truth. Why are all developers so bloody stupid now when it comes to this? There was nothing wrong with text sizes 5+ years ago. Just because you can make them smaller doesn't mean that you should. Or if you do want to, offer bigger text sizes as well.

If you make a game on a console, you have to expect people aren't going to play it 2 feet from their face, or that everyone has a 50+" 1080p HDTV, and sit 4 feet away.

I was expecting bad, this was worse. Everything is basically Stick of Truth's worst text size.

--------

I guess I need at least a 37" HDTV to read the text just fine from a couch 8 feet away as I have just found out. If someone is willing to pay my child support for a month, I will pick one up.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

3DM saved me 60 bucks. DAI made me rethink my previous judgement and now I can say that Dragon Age II ws not a horrible game - it was a mediocre game. Because compared to DAI even DAII is great. Bioware simply have no idea how games work. This and plus retardo Gaider writing. ME WUNT TO B A DRAGUN: Open World edition.

MzpydUh.gif

Lvl 18 right now. Using infinite amulet of power bug to make char as powerful as possible and finish the game as fast as possible to finally uninstall it.

P.S. Yes, I have to finish the game once I start it no matter how bad game could be, it's like Cartman have to sing entre song after he hears several words of it.

Edited by Cultist
  • Like 1

MzpydUh.gif

``This is a brand new pathetic in text sizes. For pete's sake, offer SD text sizes as well. I can't bloody read the menus. It's worse than Stick of Truth. Why are all developers so bloody stupid now when it comes to this? There was nothing wrong with text sizes 5+ years ago. Just because you can make them smaller doesn't mean that you should. Or if you do want to, offer bigger text sizes as well.``

Get glasses. The text is easily readable.

``You've got to be kidding, DA2 was a terrible game, DA:I is better by a mile.  I don't even know how you can prefer DA2 over DA:I.

`DA2 is better. Tat`s why. DA3 is way overrated.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I would be happy if the mouse pointer was larger in the game. It gets lost real quick when you're in a fight, especially if you have a large screen monitor.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Lvl 18 right now. Using infinite amulet of power bug to make char as powerful as possible and finish the game as fast as possible to finally uninstall it.

P.S. Yes, I have to finish the game once I start it no matter how bad game could be, it's like Cartman have to sing entre song after he hears several words of it.

Lower the difficulty to casual and run past any mob you don't have to fight. 

Also, if you're only interested in the story then  skip the open world stuff entirely, none of it has any baring on the important plots at all, even in the epilogue slides. Each area is almost entirely self-contained. I think the idea may have been that you could do multiple playthroughs and have a freash and unique experience each time. I wish I had known that beforehand, but don't get me wrong I really enjoyed the game from start to finish, but I think I missed out by being largely overlevelled and equipped the whole way through. That's probably why most people go through the game on autopilot, I noticed starting a new playthrough that the game felt a lot more tactical knowing how everything worked but having to make do with scraps.

It was slightly better on my tv vs. my sisters. I thought her 2nd tv was basically the same as mine. As it turned out, I could read the bigger text like the menus there (at home.) Basically, it was just like Stick of Truth, and that's not a good thing.

They still should give a text size option. How long could that possibly take to implement?

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

I toyed with doing my second playthrough, this time as a mage, but I think I'm going to wait for the first big DLC before I  make a serious effort.

It was good, but I don't want to commit 100 hours to the same stuff. All I missed the first time was Dorian's quest and the secret dungeon from Emprise du Lion.

I guess that means I like DAO better. I was excited to do a second playthrough of that immediately after the first.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Stupid buggy game. My character's facial scar all of a sudden disappeared. Now they don't look menacing and tough any more.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I can't help but feel somewhat incensed by the implementation of RNG for getting certain schematics as loot drops or in chests as well as the seeding of the Masterworking success, even if a part of me tells me that I shouldn't feel that way given that the Infinity Engine games totally did seeded unique loot drops.

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Stupid buggy game. My character's facial scar all of a sudden disappeared. Now they don't look menacing and tough any more.

Scars etc facial stuff is part of the mesh-setting in the graphics settings. If you turn it too low, they'll disappear. Putting it back higher will make them show again.