Journalism and sexism in the games industry

Tale

Even if we're not making fun of them they will say we do.

Lies and claims without evidence are their currency.

You think they will stop if we just stay quiet?

I can say that I share the sentiment of being tired at this juncture, you cannot however forget all the goodwill that GG has garnered and throw away because you want to make funny comments.

Besides: "Never interrupt your enemy while he is making a mistake."

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

That's how I feel. I think I need to take a break before I go class war on these entitled brats.

Why would you go to war with them dude, they seem to be doing a pretty good job of going to war with themselves.

Being Queen of Victimtown is srs bsns.

"To be united by hatred is a...fragile alliance at best."

• Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

7uVMFbv.jpg

As funny as this should be it kinda pisses me off cause they're screaming at a totally, undeniably innocent party and treating him like the devil.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

I like how he as a normal sane guy who wasn't involved in the whole mess before he started to report on it is just completely and utterly confused about the reaction he gets. Seriously, it's insane.  How can people support feminists and SJWs when they act like nutballs?

Equalism is the only way to go.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I like how he as a normal sane guy who wasn't involved in the whole mess before he started to report on it is just completely and utterly confused about the reaction he gets. Seriously, it's insane.  How can people support feminists and SJWs when they act like nutballs?

Equalism is the only way to go.

Volo you keep saying " equalism ", whats the difference between that word and gender equality ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Sargon had an interview with the BBC. He really puts it to them.

... Wow, that journalist is certainly not going to be asked to do anything like Hard Talk anytime soon. He's constantly going like "Oh, err, can we just err... hmm. errr."

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

Sargon had an interview with the BBC. He really puts it to them.

Sargon come out strong here.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

I am the bone of my platform
The casing is my body, and electricity my blood
I have played over a thousand games
Unknown to Death
And unknown to Life
Have withstood humiliation to experience many things
Yet all the grinding won't mean anything
So as I play
UNLIMITED GAMEWORKS!

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

I'm realizing my opinion of Feminism is at an all time low thanks to a Youtube video. Before reading on to the rest of the post, please watch the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRc_Kh_kYsA

So I watched that video thinking this is some comedy sketch regarding feminism, and I thought it was pretty funny and had some truth to it, perceiving intentions and harassment where there was none with things like "did you just cough AT me?" 

Turns out that no, this is not a comedy sketch about feminism.

And no, this is not someone taking someone else's comedy sketch and applying the title to it for comedic effect.

This woman is legitimately insane, and once had a youtube channel of her going around Boston believing herself to be stalked by anyone and everyone. That video is a video someone saved before her channel got taken down.

It's a very sad day when I can legitimately confuse a crazy person being crazy with a satirical sketch imitating a feminist.

Oh my god. Google that username. There is more gold, like this:

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Volo you keep saying " equalism ", whats the difference between that word and gender equality ?

I suspect equalism is an ideology while gebder equality is a goal.

furthermore, I think some people like gender equalism more than feminism because it has less variations than feminism; thus being easier to identify with. I'm honestly just guessing here, but I suspect equalists also have different ideas on what causes gender inequality than feminists do.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

7uVMFbv.jpg

As funny as this should be it kinda pisses me off cause they're screaming at a totally, undeniably innocent party and treating him like the devil.

I wonder how long it will take until he gets a knife or a syringe in the mail?

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I suspect equalism is an ideology while gebder equality is a goal.

Wish I could still edit. I mean't gender not gebder.

Even if we're not making fun of them they will say we do.

Lies and claims without evidence are their currency.

You think they will stop if we just stay quiet?

I can say that I share the sentiment of being tired at this juncture, you cannot however forget all the goodwill that GG has garnered and throw away because you want to make funny comments.

Screw good will, we don't need the public.

The greatest difference between equalism and feminism is that according to egalitarians the various gender inequalities have arisen from men and women in ancient times being more effective at different roles, thus society gradually built up a culture trying to enforce said roles, even though in our day and age those roles aren't really necessary, according to feminists women are oppressed becuz patriarchy, and no such thing as inequality favoring women exists.

• Like 1

The greatest difference between equalism and feminism is that according to egalitarians the various gender inequalities have arisen from men and women in ancient times being more effective at different roles, thus society gradually built up a culture trying to enforce said roles, even though in our day and age those roles aren't really necessary

That is exactly what I believe. I guess I'm an egalitarian. Good to know.:)

a) I doubt that making fun of people (what people have been doing anyway since forever) will destroy the goodwill

b) Don't forget whom we're dealing with here. They will believe making mistakes regardless of what we do. In fact, they'll probably make more mistakes.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

The greatest difference between equalism and feminism is that according to egalitarians the various gender inequalities have arisen from men and women in ancient times being more effective at different roles, thus society gradually built up a culture trying to enforce said roles, even though in our day and age those roles aren't really necessary, according to feminists women are oppressed becuz patriarchy, and no such thing as inequality favoring women exists.

Words can't express the surprise I feel at encountering straw feminist clichés from the mouths of self-professed 'equalists'.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Words can't express the surprise I feel at encountering straw feminist clichés from the mouths of self-professed 'equalists'.

Words can't express the surprise I feel at encountering people who can't that a joke.

For the record the style the statement was made in was the joke, I fully believe the sentiment applies to a decent portion of feminists.

Edited by Shallow

I'm going full Bruce and say it was an excellent read and everyone should read it. 

Apparantly, it was written by that Decado-guy at the 'Codex. Damn good.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

You can start by offering critique to Christina Sommers. She's been doing research on that for years.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

You can start by offering critique to Christina Sommers. She's been doing research on that for years.

He's got a bit of a point though. This defining and redefining of words only serves to make things muddier. I sometimes get the idea reading this thread that people here consider feminism, by itself, to be a completely negative thing. I wonder how people here would consider Christina Sommers to be "not a feminist", but rather an equalist, yet blew fire when FullMcIntosh mainsplained that she wasn't a feminist.

Here's the thing, I know feminists. Real life feminists. The vast majority of them are reasonable, smart, lovely people. Yes, the radicals have soured the movement but hey, so have radicals in GamerGate. Fun fact: I still consider myself to be a feminist, although I hesitate to make that claim here (which is sad). The thing is, I can be a feminist, in my personal definition someone who wants to women to be treated equally, and still care about men's rights as well because that is a huge part of being equals. You can consider yourself both a feminist and an egalitarian (I hesitate to use the word equalist, Legend of Korra soured that term somewhat haha). One does not preclude the other. Have some feminists (Sarkeesian included) soured the movement, or even the word? Hell yeah. But like GamerGate, feminism isn't an institution with leadership and I am bloody well not responsible for misandrists in the same way that I'm not responsible for fringe lunatics sending death threats to Zoe Quinn.

I'd wager Christina Sommers' school of feminism, equity feminism, is very much concerned with women not being superior. An equity feminist will see that it's unfair that fathers have very little rights in custody cases, because they will recognize that while the man is being treated unfairly, so is the woman albeit in a different way. I don't see the point of throwing terms around and turning them into labels when the only thing you really need to do to be a feminist or a GamerGater is say "I am a feminist" or "I am a GamerGater". Again, you can be both (and for the record, though I briefly thought it would be a good idea not to identify as someone who supports GamerGate because it might allow me to speak to some of the "antis" and actually discuss real issues, I changed my mind on that and it has my full support). I think the constant attacks on feminism as a whole rather than just on the spoiled brats who misuse it is a real shame and isn't really that different from the whole "Gamers are Dead" sentiment.

That said, I think some of you guys hating on feminism is understandable since the vocal feminists tend to be people like Sarkeesian. In my opinion, she and her writer (note that she had no real arguments to make in the Colbert show because McIntosh wasn't there to put the words into her mouth, real feminist that guy) are more harmful to feminism, gender equality and inclusiveness than anything else. I just think it's a real shame this has become gamers vs feminism rather than gamers vs moral authoritarianism.

Also, wasn't that Decado guy a member here?

• Like 2