RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Blarghagh

Why is that the 'best' outcome ? For some reason it reminds me of Crusader, and not just due to the perspective. Should finish that game though.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The best outcome would probably be for everyone to ignore Hatred.  It is basically waving its arms around saying "Look at me, I'm ultra violent!" and then assuming that is all you need to sell games.  It would be nice to see the market prove it wrong.

This is exactly what I am going to do, I'll just ignore it

But there is also no doubt in my mind that there will be people who will play this game for the reason that they think this type of game is a rebellion against the status quo and in fact this game offers "true entertainment "

And that's fine, people are perfectly entitled to spend money on any game they want

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The best outcome would probably be for everyone to ignore Hatred. It is basically waving its arms around saying "Look at me, I'm ultra violent!" and then assuming that is all you need to sell games. It would be nice to see the market prove it wrong.

So it's like a videogame Expendables?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

But there is also no doubt in my mind that there will be people who will play this game for the reason that they think this type of game is a rebellion against the status quo and in fact this game offers "true entertainment "

And that's fine, people are perfectly entitled to spend money on any game they want

Exactly.

The greatest irony is that the more that media outlets come out and demonize this game the more it is likely to sell.  It's how Leisure Suit Larry became an iconic game and launched into a highly successful series.  Initially, LSL sold poorly, but then the media started covering how immoral and terrible and evil it was and OH MY GOD THINK OF THE CHILDREN and the game started selling more and more and more, because it was "taboo".  Of course, it helped that LSL was a legitimately good and funny adventure game that was in reality a lot more about self-deprecating humor than about BEWBS, but all the negative coverage it got certainly helped that game become a financial success.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

The greatest irony is that the more that media outlets come out and demonize this game the more it is likely to sell.

I wouldn't call that irony. In fact, I fully expect it to be the game's intended business strategy.
  • Like 3
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Should have done it closer to the release date, doubt the outrage and fuss will hold over.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The idea would work well adapted to a Chaos cultist or something in 40k.

Could be worse, there could be romances.

Pre-ordered, with the early backer "killing SJF's" bonus pack, you also recieve a free pack of coughing nails with every purchase and a copy of "What Gun." Tremendous value for money, I highly recommend it.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Exactly.

The greatest irony is that the more that media outlets come out and demonize this game the more it is likely to sell.  It's how Leisure Suit Larry became an iconic game and launched into a highly successful series.  Initially, LSL sold poorly, but then the media started covering how immoral and terrible and evil it was and OH MY GOD THINK OF THE CHILDREN and the game started selling more and more and more, because it was "taboo".  Of course, it helped that LSL was a legitimately good and funny adventure game that was in reality a lot more about self-deprecating humor than about BEWBS, but all the negative coverage it got certainly helped that game become a financial success.

That's a good point about LSL and how it relates to Hatred

I remember when LSL first came out Apartheid was still in place in South Africa and the game was considered immoral and a "corruptive influence to healthy minds".....just the thought of playing it was a cardinal sin according to the state . So what did we do...we all played it to see what the big deal was and the ideas and concepts were very unique for us and the game was very entertaining :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

So, any idea why these days it seems as if the digital download copies of games when they're released are now more expensive then the physical copies? For pretty much all the major releases in the last 6 months or so I've noticed that trend.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Wait, so nobody minds killing thousands of enemies but people are pissing and moaning about not having a reason? :lol:

Um. Ethics aside - what's funny about that? In most combat-heavy games enemies are able to fight back. Or at least they are difficult to kill or destroy for some other reason. That's what makes it a game after all - you have rules and you have an opponent (AI or human) who you need to beat while the opponent tries to beat you using the same (or different but in any case predefined) ruleset.

A combat situation is a problem and victory is your reward for solving it successfully. If there's no opponent, there's no reward and it's not much of a game. :)

Edited by prodigydancer

Wait, so nobody minds killing thousands of enemies but people are pissing and moaning about not having a reason? :lol:

Um. Ethics aside - what's funny about that? In most combat-heavy games enemies are able to fight back. Or at least they are difficult to kill or destroy for some other reason. That's what makes it a game after all - you have rules and you have an opponent (AI or human) who you need to beat while the opponent tries to beat you using the same (or different but in any case predefined) ruleset.

A combat situation is a problem and victory is your reward for solving it successfully. If there's no opponent, there's no reward and it's not much of a game. :)

Who complained about a lack of challenge? People are QQing about the protagonist just randomly killing people without a "reason". Its funny because that's silly. :yes:   

That's a good point about LSL and how it relates to Hatred

I remember when LSL first came out Apartheid was still in place in South Africa and the game was considered immoral and a "corruptive influence to healthy minds".....just the thought of playing it was a cardinal sin according to the state . So what did we do...we all played it to see what the big deal was and the ideas and concepts were very unique for us and the game was very entertaining :)

Basically sounds like USSR. I remember hilariously they tried to ban Karate because it was "deadly". Meanwhile they allow the (in my opinion) far more street practical things like boxing and wrestling.

As a result people were learning Karate in basements based of smuggled books with much enthusiasm as a "forbidden deadly art" that would make them all awesome ninjas. It is a thing that happened.

• Like 1

There will be cops going after you

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Who complained about a lack of challenge? People are QQing about the protagonist just randomly killing people without a "reason". Its funny because that's silly. :yes:   

My bad then. :) Still I believe they just couldn't express their objections properly. You see if the game was full of zombies and their usual hunger for brains, nobody would be surprised I suppose. Even if each individual zombie was an easy target. Challenge and reason to kill in games are often intertwined, e.g. "kill as many zombies as you can before they'll be able to gorge on your precious gray matter" is both a challenge and a reason to kill.

Edited by prodigydancer

There will be cops going after you

Yeah, I know. But the point of the controversy are gruesome kills of helpless civilians and savoring the gore. Which indeed adds little to entertainment value. I think the only way for this game to succeed is to become a very fast-paced and unforgiving shooter where you're free to do your rampage stuff and commit whatever atrocities you have in mind... as long as you can dodge bullets. No regen, no magic medpacks, no health-replenishing painkillers, no huge health bar. Took a blast of lead from a shotgun in your face? Sorry, dude, your "crusade" is over and now it's you in a body bag.

Edited by prodigydancer
  • Like 1

Ive always thought that digital being the same price as physical was a little wonky but I don't recall seeing digital cost more than physical. Can you provide a linked example?

Hm, well for the minor one http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/gb/en/pc/games/strategy/civilization-beyond-earth/

But when I picked up Shadows of Mordor that was £5 cheaper for the physical copy from amazon then to buy the digital download version.

Watch Dogs was about the same price difference as a physical copy then digital.

http://www.game.co.uk/en/sid-meiers-civilization-beyond-earth-307495?pageSize=20&searchTerm=Civilisation

http://www.game.co.uk/en/sid-meiers-civilization-beyond-earth-293671?pageSize=20&searchTerm=Civilisation

(okay, that's only £1 difference, but I've seen more)

http://www.game.co.uk/en/dragon-age-inquisition-293375?catGroupId

There's a classic, £10 less to pre-order the physical copy then to get the digital copy.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Hatred seems to be solely based around chasing people down, standing over them, and then blowing their heads off.  All while they scream for mercy.  These people seem to just be walking around on the streets with no hint of provocation.  It looks like you do this over and over again.  

How does that compare to other games and movies?  I get that there is an element of that in Zombie and GTA games, but it's far from being the sole gameplay device.

• Like 1

Well, you only execute them if you fail to kill them from a distance, so not all about the executions. Looks like he has a infinite mag AK though :lol:

• Like 1

Hatred seems to be solely based around chasing people down, standing over them, and then blowing their heads off.  All while they scream for mercy.  These people seem to just be walking around on the streets with no hint of provocation.  It looks like you do this over and over again.  

How does that compare to other games and movies?  I get that there is an element of that in Zombie and GTA games, but it's far from being the sole gameplay device.

I agree with this, and my question would also be "what game has ever been created whose only design purpose was just the killing of civilians and people in positions in authority, like Police ? ". In other words no other purpose but this?

I don't want to seem to keep going on about it but its a new low for me in gaming development

John Milton 

I agree with this, and my question would also be "what game has ever been created whose only design purpose was just the killing of civilians and people in positions in authority, like Police ? ". In other words no other purpose but this?

I don't want to seem to keep going on about it but its a new low for me in gaming development

Postal, Carmageddon, GTA, Manhunt... list can go on but I dont like too much those games so someone can add more (I know these games were not ONLY about that but be real, most of gameplay was killing civilians

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Postal, Carmageddon, GTA, Manhunt... list can go on but I dont like too much those games so someone can add more (I know these games were not ONLY about that but be real, most of gameplay was killing civilians

No you can't possibly compare GTA to this game, I can play GTA and not go any killings spree if I don't want to. You seem to acknowledge that so that isn't an applicable example.

I don't know about the other games so I can't comment ?

John Milton