Adult females overthrown teen males as largest gaming demographic

Bryy

I meet a lot of woman in my life and only one of them played from time to time a little bit... where do these phenomenons live ?

And oh man about sexism... it´s about games. Games dont need political correctness all the time. Is shooting animals or humans pc ? Why do we care about pc when we show ultra violence and gore in video games. I dont get that at all. We have more problems i think as sexism in games... well Ellen ripley surely is a racist against aliens. Could be a bad influence for a possible alien encounter where one female rambo goes berzerk and wants to take revenge for Newt ... who knows.

anyone knows commando lybia ... that is a funny game.... no one cared about that. Fun eh.

I meet a lot of woman in my life and only one of them played from time to time a little bit... where do these phenomenons live ?

And oh man about sexism... it´s about games. Games dont need political correctness all the time. Is shooting animals or humans pc ? Why do we care about pc when we show ultra violence and gore in video games. I dont get that at all. We have more problems i think as sexism in games... well Ellen ripley surely is a racist against aliens. Could be a bad influence for a possible alien encounter where one female rambo goes berzerk and wants to take revenge for Newt ... who knows.

anyone knows commando lybia ... that is a funny game.... no one cared about that. Fun eh.

>talking seriously to a gay feminist

Keep trying man, you'll make her into a normal person yet, maybe if you write a few thousand more posts? Don't give up!

IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

Really? 

I look forward to seeing what's most popular with women in other entertainment industries finally come to gaming. Twilight in video game form. That paragon of feminist values which will show them sexist male developers.

I don't even know what you're getting at. 

He's saying that you should look forward to the Fifty shades of Gray-game of our generation.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

>talking seriously to a gay feminist

Why do you label yourself as a "gay feminist" ? What is that ? ... i dont want to know sorry. But i am a male with blue eyes who loves games. Wow, now i had a come out !

I'm saying that if triple A game makers start targeting women in earnest they will go for what's actually popular amongs the masses of girls more often than not and not what the gaming's feminist clique would like to be popular.

• Like 2

Indeed.  My wife and I are both "gamers" in that I play RPGs and strategy games on a PC, while she plays Hearts and Candy Crush on an ipad. 

(I have gotten her to participate in some pencil-and-paper RPG campaigns, but so far it hasn't translated to the electronic equivalent.)

I can certain relate to that! :)

However, I do have married friends, for instance, in their thirties all the way to the fifties, where the wives play online games like WoW, LoL and D3, for instance. This is probably still rare, and the fact that they do certainly explains why they are my friends in the first place. It's much more fun going to one of them couple dinners/parties, and discussing Whirlwind barbarians or ganking at times.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

This likely includes facebook and mobile games, and that's probably why.

I'll would have to agree here. While it's obvious that there is a lot more female gamers these days, I would suspect the majority of console and gaming PC owners would be male. Especially gaming PC's.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

The smarter marketeers might look at: number of active gamers in a group -times- the amount of money the group spends on gaming. If a group has a lot of gamers but only buys a few cheap mobile games to play over and over, then that group may not end up having as much influence as you might think.

OTOH, there's probably going to be another hype cycle with a lot of following the herd.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I'm saying that if triple A game makers start targeting women in earnest they will go for what's actually popular amongs the masses of girls more often than not and not what the gaming's feminist clique would like to be popular.

Brace yourself for melodramatic romance to the 3rd power.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Yeah, because the only thing women read are Twilight. Are the only games men play Call of Duty?

• Like 2

Yeah, because the only thing women read are Twilight.

Not exactly what I said.

Are the only games men play Call of Duty?

Don't they though? Every triple A has a touch of Call of Duty. Everyone chases that audience. It defines modern gaming if you haven't noticed, it defines what is a typical gamer to many people. That's why it is this game you brought up. The loud, obnoxious, violent fantasy of the average boy.

What defines the mainstream female audience? What is going to be the typical female gamer in the triple A space? Someone who plays the video game version of Sarah Connor or Kim Kardashian's dress up game done in Unreal engine?

This doesn't change console or PC gaming at all, women would actually need to buy the hardware to effect the market and they're generally not interested in playing complex or fast paced, involving games. Time wasters on mobile devices are not in the same sphere of games such as RPG or FPS. One of the largest segments of gaming in the 90's was solitaire because of bored office workers, progressing to bejeweled, this created a new market with new developers. Women were always gamers, even before video games existed.

This doesn't change console or PC gaming at all, women would actually need to buy the hardware to effect the market and they're generally not interested in playing complex or fast paced, involving games. Time wasters on mobile devices are not in the same sphere of games such as RPG or FPS. One of the largest segments of gaming in the 90's was solitaire because of bored office workers, progressing to bejeweled, this created a new market with new developers. Women were always gamers, even before video games existed.

Yes but the point is if there is a certain growing demographic, like adult female gamers, and they move to start playing  games like RPG then there will be more emphasize on what they expect from games. So logically we should start seeing changes in game design if we haven't already, and this is a good thing

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The only change we will see based on this statistics is more celebrity dress up games.

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

I'm somewhat concerned about all the posts going "women don't play games". Pretty much every woman I know is a gamer, up to and including my mother who has a load of Paragon levels in Diablo 3. In fact, the only non-gamer women I know are the inlaws, which is 3 women, out of a good three dozen I know on a personal level. 2 of them are hardcore streamers with their own gaming youtube channels and another one used to make money playing WarCraft 3 tournaments. Two of them are game devs. I find it hard to believe that I am the exception to the rule in such a large degree, especially since I am from a rural area. :blink:

• Like 5

Being decidedly rural myself, and like you, having a handful of female friends who are seriously into PC games (and who scoff at Facebook/solitaire games just like me), I can only presume that some people here would be well off trying to widen their net of getting new female acquaintances. It may pay off in dividends! :)

• Like 3

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I'm somewhat concerned about all the posts going "women don't play games".

To be honest, I haven't seen a post saying 'women don't play games'.

Most posts have been about how mobile and facebook games may skew the statistics towards adult females being the majority demographic. Lot's of women play video games, I just don't think they are the majority when talking about console and gaming PC's..... Yet. 

• Like 2
cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Maybe urban females have better things to do?

Perhaps you're right. The big city distractions are aplenty, and out in the country, there are fewer leisure options overall (unless you're really into wildlife, animals, or whatnot).

I'm somewhat concerned about all the posts going "women don't play games". Pretty much every woman I know is a gamer, up to and including my mother who has a load of Paragon levels in Diablo 3. In fact, the only non-gamer women I know are the inlaws, which is 3 women, out of a good three dozen I know on a personal level. 2 of them are hardcore streamers with their own gaming youtube channels and another one used to make money playing WarCraft 3 tournaments. Two of them are game devs. I find it hard to believe that I am the exception to the rule in such a large degree, especially since I am from a rural area. :blink:

So your anecdotal evidence trumps theirs  ? :p

Most are just not seeing this is heralding a new age of social justice aware games with female protagonists that check all the boxes to not be sexist, etc.  I suppose if the majority of developers were women this might be a consideration, but consumers, eh..

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra