What you did today

Rosbjerg

...Coworker resigned too so farewell "socializing" is ahead

Eh, that's not all bad, at least not when the office air conditioning doesn't work very well and cold drinks are provided at the farewell 'parties.' (2 retirement parties in the last 2 weeks, here... a lot of co-workers even older than me, yup.)

They always pick some crappy bar to go have the drinks at. Lots of beer snobs or pretenders to that at my work, so I guess the beer selection trumps the crappy service, poor seating, average food. Expensive too

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Big day planned today, in South Africa the 5 July is a prominent horse racing event called The Durban July

We are celebrating that and a friends 40th birthday by going to an event call The Pink Punter which replicates the horse racing by hosting it at the  Johannesburg Zoo lake. The weather is perfect so it should be a good day :dancing:

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'm going to spend the day sobering up by drinking water and watching horror films.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I know that a lot of parents stress out about letting their kid cry himself to sleep, but I've found it somewhat perversely enjoyable. 

He fell asleep in my arms while burping him after his 8PM bottle (during which he ate nearly all of a rather aspirational 200 mL pour), and I successfully laid him in his crib, hoping that would be good for the next 5 hours or so. But he woke up about 90 minutes later (which is the typical duration of 1 sleep cycle), and went into full-throated screaming mode.  After a few minutes of that, I checked him, and decided that his diaper was feeling spongy enough that it should be changed.  So that's what we did (and it was indeed rather wet), after which I bounced him in my arms for a moment or two to calm him down-- it didn't take long, as he was clearly quite sleepy.  But the transfer back to the crib went less-than-perfectly-- i.e., more screaming when he realized that daddy wasn't holding him anymore. 

The wife and I talked it over a bit.  We knew he was well-fed and dry, and we've seen him soothe himself out of somewhat-less-histrionic complaining before.  Based on the the reading we've done, we decided that he's old enough (4 months, plus a week) that we should give him a chance to get out of this himself.  So we sat there in the living room and listened to him scream.  (It's a small house, so you can pretty much hear him everywhere when he really gets into it.) 

It took a him a half-hour.  All the while I'm thinking "Yeah, I'm not that sucker who's going to carry you around for 20 minutes just to make sure you're asleep anymore!"  It felt a little like I was standing up to a bully, and the bully is now down for the count.  I love the guy, but he's got to figure out the way the world works, and he may have just learned his first lesson in self-reliance. 

• Like 3

I was always amazed how long my son could cry before finally rolling over and sleeping.  My daughter would go for 5 minutes, tops.  Thankfully it was a lot more rare for him to fuss than her, but he could go for awhile.

I'm going to spend the day sobering up by drinking water and watching horror films.

I got completely bongoed last night, and am currently nursing my hangover.

I fried up some steak and king prawns in olive oil, pepper, lemon zest and rosemary, ate same with rye bread, and am watching Archer while I burp up irn bru.

• Like 2

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Hm, since the training has been going.. .relatively well, I thought I'd look at properly registering for Tough Mudder. Although now seeing that the registration fee for the event is £109 then a further £10 insurance cover, and another £10 handling fee.. I'm having to ponder on whether that's actually worth it for my budget....

Hmm. Now I've got to figure out if with everything else going on and planned for the next few months I've actually got the money to spend that just for a few hours of slogging my way through and helping the charity.

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

We're going to a flea market today. Why we need to buy fleas is beyond me.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Caught up on forum business after I was away all day yesterday. Visited a German amusement park called Phantasialand with my family, wasn't extremely big but had some of the best and most beautifully themed rides. Their new log flume ride Chiapas especially is worth visiting (or looking up an onride youtube video of) having the biggest log flume drop in the world, and their B&M Rollercoaster Black Mamba is a great ride as well. B&M makes the best coasters, so fluid. Intense experience without getting banged up like in a Mack or Intamin. :)

Hung out with ex roomie last night. She was rather drunk but still able to beat me at pool. And for today and the 4th, the entire day was spent in a vehicle driving from the airport to school and back.

Trying to find my way back to California for at least a weekend to see the family but don't know how that'll work out.

Also need to get utilities and internet set up for my new place... gotta remember to do that this week.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Watching the tennis (Wimbledon final). This might take a few hours. Hope Federer wins.

So glad he took out Raonic and that Bouchard got pasted. Back to work on Monday so valiantly trying to remember what I have to do, beyond spacing out until lunch time.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I don't know, they have some swank, pricey glass on their artist's gallery page. Probably not super dog-friendly for an entryway centerpiece, however.

That's weird, I buzzed my noggin, too. Way too sticky and hot already to have a hair helmet.   

All Stop. On Screen.

I don't know, they have some swank, pricey glass on their artist's gallery page. Probably not super dog-friendly for an entryway centerpiece, however.

That's weird, I buzzed my noggin, too. Way too sticky and hot already to have a hair helmet.   

I usually keep my bald scalp, uh bald, but I had let it grow a bit more than I usually let it. With the hot weather coming back, I can't say it was a bad move. I'm a little sad about the beard, though. I'll grow one this winter. It helps keep the filthy cold away.

So, I started work today at about 8:30. I'm probably gonna be stuck working until at least 9pm.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I was always amazed how long my son could cry before finally rolling over and sleeping.  My daughter would go for 5 minutes, tops.  Thankfully it was a lot more rare for him to fuss than her, but he could go for awhile.

This guy has only rolled over once-- from his stomach to his back this past Friday-- and it was with a little assistance (a small pillow, roughly the size and shape of my forearm, was under his armpits to help him keep his face off the floor). 

The books we're reading are all talking about keeping a regular schedule and putting the kid in his crib before he gets "over tired," which apparently means before he shows any signs at all of actually being sleepy.  I don't know who these families are who can maintain a "regular schedule" sufficient to the needs of an infant, but it sure ain't us.  On weekdays we end up bringing him home from daycare at an inconsistent time, playing for a little while, and then noticing that he's rubbing his eyes or blinking slower than usual at some point between 6:30 and 9 PM.  And he needs to be fed somewhere in there, too.  Weekends are all different.  (He also is probably dealing with a little bit of the sore throat and sniffle that the wife and I have both gone through in the last week.)  The end result is that he usually ends up "over tired" and wants to be walked around (in one of the few postures he deems acceptble) until he's pretty soundly asleep and then gently lowered into the crib with a 50/50 shot that he wakes up (and complains) on contact.  That was getting pretty old.

The weekend, we went with option B-- just put the freakin' kid to bed.  Listening to screaming in the next room for 20-30 minutes beats carrying a 14.5 pound baby around for an equivalent amount of time with no guarantee of success.  And, provided that you know he's warm, dry, and well fed, it ain't gonna hurt him. 

Looked up what the rest of my tabletop Dark Heresy party was up to while I was occupied with all the silly exam stuff. 

Turns out they thought it's a good idea to steal crocodile-xenos in order to set up an underground fighting pit where they fight the scaly scum and set up elaborate betting scams to gain extra revenue (because our immediate superior, as it turns out, has been pocketing our wages for years now).

Things didn't work out so well when the guardsman's eye got ripped out right in the first fight. The few hundred thrones the party managed to gather with this venture doesn't cover even one cyber-replacement.

*Sigh* Things fall apart without my expert leadership, it seems.

• Like 2

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Back from Roskilde Festival - saw Rolling Stones, Outkast, Stevie Wonder, Rob Zombie, Arctic Monkies, Kasbian and a load of bigger and smaller international bands. Awesome.. One of the funnier experiences were a traditional Rajasthani band that incorporated modern elements, like beatboxing - on a mouth harp.

Couldn't find a good example, but here's a taste of it.

Also, in the pit with Major Lazer and Rob Zombie... That was hilarious - except mosh pits have their consequences ;)

10532761_10202516645426077_7199028171645

• Like 1

Fortune favors the bald.

Leaving today Knoxville for work. I love Knoxville!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Not sure if I should like the above post or not. I could like it to show support or like it because I'm okay with you hurting your hand. To be safe, I shall not like your post. Instead, I will recommend you to play Divinity: Original Sin.