What you did today

Rosbjerg

Just prevented my kitty from committing foul murder against a young bird that flew into our garden. Said birdie was mostly without tail feathers so couldn't fly very well and was helping itself to some of the berries in our garden when our kitty pounced. Luckily our kitty isn't very experienced yet with hunting so she only managed to get some feathers, and I quickly pushed the kitty back inside. The bird wasn't very smart either though because it didn't seem to even attempt to fly away much, even though I did see it fly. It was still sitting there in our garden afterwards, which kind of worried me. But when I took a small branch with some berries, offering it to the birdie, it did quickly fly away. Odd. The birdie probably though that since I was screaming bloody murder and chasing it earlier I must've been a bad sort. It can't have known I was in fact screaming bloody murder and chasing our cat instead.

:cat: Its good that you moved so swiftly to prevent said murder, what would happen later when kitty gets older and reflects on its life. Imagine the guilt :blink:

Cats hunt - its what they do. They're obligate carnivores and as they can't produce etinol, taurine, and arachidonic acid IIRC and they have to get it from the flesh, organs and/or bones or prey.

Or cat food. But while you can take the animal hunting out of the cat food, you can't take the animal hunting instinct out of the cat.

But murder is murder,  and what about the long term psychological consequences when Kitty realizes all the lives that he/she has ended? Just because Kitty is an animal this needs to be considered...don't you think?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Just prevented my kitty from committing foul murder against a young bird that flew into our garden. Said birdie was mostly without tail feathers so couldn't fly very well and was helping itself to some of the berries in our garden when our kitty pounced. Luckily our kitty isn't very experienced yet with hunting so she only managed to get some feathers, and I quickly pushed the kitty back inside. The bird wasn't very smart either though because it didn't seem to even attempt to fly away much, even though I did see it fly. It was still sitting there in our garden afterwards, which kind of worried me. But when I took a small branch with some berries, offering it to the birdie, it did quickly fly away. Odd. The birdie probably though that since I was screaming bloody murder and chasing it earlier I must've been a bad sort. It can't have known I was in fact screaming bloody murder and chasing our cat instead.

:cat: Its good that you moved so swiftly to prevent said murder, what would happen later when kitty gets older and reflects on its life. Imagine the guilt :blink:

Cats hunt - its what they do. They're obligate carnivores and as they can't produce etinol, taurine, and arachidonic acid IIRC and they have to get it from the flesh, organs and/or bones or prey.

Or cat food. But while you can take the animal hunting out of the cat food, you can't take the animal hunting instinct out of the cat.

But murder is murder,  and what about the long term psychological consequences when Kitty realizes all the lives that he/she has ended? Just because Kitty is an animal this needs to be considered...don't you think?

Don't worry Bruce, we can't afford a cat therapist but we are going to try to council her ourselves with the help of some self-help literature. She's going through a rough patch, but we are going to make sure she gets through it.

In all seriousness, the bird must've had a death wish because it came back later that day. I was looking for the cat since it was her feeding time and saw her having a go on the same bird. It looked quite rough and I was quite sure the bird was dead but as it turned out she was only playing with the silly bird. I wonder if she even had her claws out, because when we the birdie hopped into our neighbours garden, who stuffs animals for a living and as such has a good idea of their anatomy, he gave the bird a good checkup and said that the bird was just fine. Weird, but our kitty has brought live animals into our garden before so it seems it's just play to her.

• Like 1

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

Don't worry Bruce, we can't afford a cat therapist but we are going to try to council her ourselves with the help of some self-help literature. She's going through a rough patch, but we are going to make sure she gets through it.

In all seriousness, the bird must've had a death wish because it came back later that day. I was looking for the cat since it was her feeding time and saw her having a go on the same bird. It looked quite rough and I was quite sure the bird was dead but as it turned out she was only playing with the silly bird. I wonder if she even had her claws out, because when we the birdie hopped into our neighbours garden, who stuffs animals for a living and as such has a good idea of their anatomy, he gave the bird a good checkup and said that the bird was just fine. Weird, but our kitty has brought live animals into our garden before so it seems it's just play to her.

Jadedmeister, I can't comment on the Netherlands but in South Africa we Pet Psychics and Pet Behavioral experts ( Pet Psychologists ) who do claim to understand what is going on in the mind of pets. So don't dismiss the fact that pets have feellings and thoughts too that correlate at times with ours :)

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Jadedmeister, I can't comment on the Netherlands but in South Africa we Pet Psychics and Pet Behavioral experts ( Pet Psychologists ) who do claim to understand what is going on in the mind of pets. So don't dismiss the fact that pets have feellings and thoughts too that correlate at times with ours :)

I don't discounts that they have feelings and thoughts at all. I do very much doubt our cat will ever feel guilty about chasing birds though!

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

So you're suggesting that cats abstain from hunting...

...and thus go blind and die because they can't synthesize proteins they need from eating plants?

And what about plant murder?  Why is that bird okay to save, but not the grass.  WON'T ANYONE THINK OF THE GRASS?

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

...and thus go blind and die because they can't synthesize proteins they need from eating plants?

And what about plant murder?  Why is that bird okay to save, but not the grass.  WON'T ANYONE THINK OF THE GRASS?

I am quite sure Bruce was joking. I certainly hope so!

• Like 1

Boring day.  But some managers gracing us with their presence this week so I suppose we have to act professional at work and not joke about working on our resumes or what's the proper notice period :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Well, I doubt that they have any special connection with the animals, but I know for certain that they have a connection with your wallet. Sort of like a leach.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

:lol: Yeah we should consider the feelings of grass, good point

I am joking but obviously  not about Pet Psychics and Pet Psychologists, they really exist and people utilize there services

John Milton 

I'm sorry, no one jokes on a message board.  This is serious business :verymad:

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I'm sorry, no one jokes on a message board.  This is serious business :verymad:

True dat

:aiee:  :aiee:

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

Meh, I've managed to attract one hell of a cold; sore throat, nasty cough, blocked nose - ****ing everything. Same with a friend of mine, but he got better by now, I've been ill since monday and I've getting worse. -.-

I ****ing hate my immunesystem.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Meh, I've managed to attract one hell of a cold; sore throat, nasty cough, blocked nose - ****ing everything. Same with a friend of mine, but he got better by now, I've been ill since monday and I've getting worse. -.-

I bet you can guess what I recommend to boost ones immune system?  ;) I've been sick only once in 9 years. 

Get better! And drink tons of water. 

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Sorry to hear :(

John Milton 

Got totally annoyed at the enduring thunderstorms, students and crazy parties.. Man, what's my age again?

I made myself a White Russian and decided to go crash the party downstars! I'm not gonna be one of those old gu zzzz....

• Like 2

Fortune favors the bald.

Got totally annoyed at the enduring thunderstorms, students and crazy parties.. Man, what's my age again?

I made myself a White Russian and decided to go crash the party downstars! I'm not gonna be one of those old gu zzzz....

How was it ?

John Milton 

I bet you can guess what I recommend to boost ones immune system?  ;) I've been sick only once in 9 years. 

Being scary? The germs are afraid of you?

• Like 4

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Deadhead client manager wants to have coffee with my manager and I. Apparently seeing people is important or something, but that will make for a fun experience to finally meet the man who barely keeps track of meetings, has power trips where he tries to convince you your recommendation actually came from him and is generally useless. 

Hm, we should get him to pay for the coffee.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Get better! And drink tons of water. 

Well, I've always had a ****ty immunesystem, even when I was in my best shape. I heard an epidemiologist speak about those things, and she said that generally speaking the immunesystem is the last thing that is affected - the rest of the body be damned. But having good physique makes it easier to stand it.

Thanks, and I have been, water and tea. With honey, 'cause damn that throat.

Got my last paycheck. Unemployment begins July 1st.

Been trying my luck at the stock market. Made around $1900 in ten dayd. That's not much less than I used to do while working. I know it's risky, but I will keep doing this until I know if I am going with studies or until I find new work.

Got my last paycheck. Unemployment begins July 1st.

Been trying my luck at the stock market. Made around $1900 in ten dayd. That's not much less than I used to do while working. I know it's risky, but I will keep doing this until I know if I am going with studies or until I find new work.

It's only risky if you take risks. There are plenty of safe investments, like water. When is the value of water going to decrease? Never. That's not rhetorical. The answer is "never." A risky investment usually doesn't pay off, and you really have to be in contact with the right people at the right time to be able to get in on the ground floor when it comes to your googles and facebooks and such. If you're studying, try studying CS and math so you can write yourself some good trading algorithms.

Edited by AGX-17

Crashing at a friends house in Beaumont tonight, then going to a party in San Antonio tomorrow. The hangover will be a hitch, but I'm pretty sure it will be worth it.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Crashing at a friends house in Beaumont tonight, then going to a party in San Antonio tomorrow. The hangover will be a hitch, but I'm pretty sure it will be worth it.

Crazy, we are leaving San Antonio tomorrow and will stay in Rayne tomorrow.  We are hitting the Tabasco sauce factory on Sunday.