Dragon Age: Inquistion

Hey, let's talk about sexism and double standards, AGAIN!

Okay but I thought you didn't particularly enjoy discussing these issues?   :ermm:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Hey, let's talk about sexism and double standards, AGAIN!

Okay but I thought you didn't particularly enjoy discussing these issues?   :ermm:

sarcasm.jpg

• Like 5

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Is this the "final" chapter of the sexy-but-not-too-grimdark  DA-series? or is romancable Bioware hoping it to be a love-interest neverending series like emotionally-engaging Final Fantasy?

*Tried remove the Bioware-speak filter, but the words just seemed to come back no matter what

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Is this the "final" chapter of the sexy-but-not-too-grimdark  DA-series? or is romancable Bioware hoping it to be a love-interest neverending series like emotionally-engaging Final Fantasy?

*Tried remove the Bioware-speak filter, but the words just seemed to come back no matter what

No, yes.

That's what she said.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

It's probably the final chapter, just like there originally were only going to be three Mass Effect games (but hey, if there's money to be had... I don't really blame them for milking their franchises btw, it makes perfect business sense).

But that's not true, she also spoke about her aspirations to get her own ship and return to the sea and she supported Merill . She also discussed what her objectives were. I am not nitpicking but there was more to Isabela to just sex talk

But that's because both Isabella and Merill are idiots. Or maybe Isabella is a non-idiot (but not smart, either; I mean, just imagine the sorts of putrid ecosystems she's carrying around down there,) sadist who wants to encourage Merill's idiotic behavior in order to savor the terrible consequences.

Agx I want to ask you and Calax something and be honest with your comments. Why is it when we have your archetypical male character who espouses all "male" characteristics like being  overly sexually  confident we don't feel the need to raise or discuss this but when a women character does the same we consider this lascivious and worth commenting on?

Double standards? Are women not allowed to say things like "I want to bed every man who can help me with objectives in life" without us being concerned about these comments

I don't consider either of you guys sexist as I've read your comments on SJ and equality issues and I think of you guys as liberal. So my point is more of a general one

In summary I think unnecessary attention is given to Isabela's comments because she is a women making them and a male character acting the same way wouldn't get the same criticism

I didn't say the comments in and of themselves were bad, I said that Isabella was one note, there's a difference. I mean it'd be like if a "bro" was put in game and all he talked about was lifting.... the entire game.

Or if they were The Todd 

Except that Isabella is supposed to be more than a joke character. And while the Todd had a few moments over the course of 8 years where he was allowed to be more than his joke, Isabella's opportunities are completely limited in that regard.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Is this the "final" chapter of the sexy-but-not-too-grimdark  DA-series? or is romancable Bioware hoping it to be a love-interest neverending series like emotionally-engaging Final Fantasy?  *Tried remove the Bioware-speak filter, but the words just seemed to come back no matter what

It's probably the final chapter, just like there originally were only going to be three Mass Effect games (but hey, if there's money to be had... I don't really blame them for milking their franchises btw, it makes perfect business sense).

No, Dragon age is open-ended, but since the pc changes, there are other obvious differences, too.

I think Atton is probably Obsidian's best written romance. Because the character is so integral to the main plot and his dynamic with Kriea and the way she uses that romance over the course of the game ect. makes all the difference. I'm going partly off of the leaked cut-content as well but there are so many things about that one that were done so well, that whole arc is a really good story above everything else and it's another reason to lament that kotor2 was released as it was and not as it could have been. 

This? His death scene that was inevitably cut. 

I've never played any FF games, what would you recommend for the PC. I like  an interesting fantasy RPG setting

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I've never played any FF games, what would you recommend for the PC. I like  an interesting fantasy RPG setting

http://www.ign.com/games/final-fantasy-tactics-advance/gba-480116

is not pc, but is only ff game we could recommend. we would prefer to eat a sandwich filled with aluminum foil shavings than play ff rpgs. we tried to play ff 7. *shudder*

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Is this the "final" chapter of the sexy-but-not-too-grimdark  DA-series? or is romancable Bioware hoping it to be a love-interest neverending series like emotionally-engaging Final Fantasy?  *Tried remove the Bioware-speak filter, but the words just seemed to come back no matter what

No, Dragon age is open-ended, but since the pc changes, there are other obvious differences, too.

IIRC, though, Dragon Age is a set time frame and they were near the end of it when the first blight happened (isn't it like 100 years).

Eventually they'll end up having to end Dragon Age because of the Age naming system (to be followed by some other "Age" series - "Reborn Old God Age"?).

I've never played any FF games, what would you recommend for the PC. I like an interesting fantasy RPG setting

http://www.ign.com/games/final-fantasy-tactics-advance/gba-480116

is not pc, but is only ff game we could recommend. we would prefer to eat a sandwich filled with aluminum foil shavings than play ff rpgs. we tried to play ff 7. *shudder*

HA! Good Fun!

Final Fantasy VI is the best one; I don't think any of the ones before or sense have managed to be as compelling. But then I did enjoy 7, so...

IMO, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance is worse than (and a generally poor sequel to) FFT which itself isn't as good as Ogre Battle: Let Us Cling Together.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Not sure what the score is for. You don't think Obsidian should go the Bioware route and do rpgs for the mass market like Bioware have done?

It's a troll rating, for the quality of your troll post. You're getting better, 7/10 might get trolled again.

Agx I want to ask you and Calax something and be honest with your comments. Why is it when we have your archetypical male character who espouses all "male" characteristics like being  overly sexually  confident we don't feel the need to raise or discuss this but when a women character does the same we consider this lascivious and worth commenting on?

Double standards? Are women not allowed to say things like "I want to bed every man who can help me with objectives in life" without us being concerned about these comments

I don't consider either of you guys sexist as I've read your comments on SJ and equality issues and I think of you guys as liberal. So my point is more of a general one

In summary I think unnecessary attention is given to Isabela's comments because she is a women making them and a male character acting the same way wouldn't get the same criticism

What double standard? Can you precisely point out where I

A) said I didn't like Isabella, and specifically stated it was because of her sexuality

and

B) praised a man for having had sex with too many women to count such that he has acquired all known STDs and only has months to live due to the syphilitic abscess in his brain?

Because if you could, it would go a long way toward making your post approach the borderline keeping it well within the realm of invalid ad hominem.

And don't make up some fallacy like "Isabella only has sex with men to use them to further her own grand ambitions, showing how foolish men are and how brilliant women are for taking advantage of all the resources at their disposal" because it's very blatantly stated that Isabella just ****s attractive people because she wants to. She's a hedonist, not some kind of entrepreneur building a mercantile empire spanning the seas, one blown load at a time. <===Isabella would almost certainly laugh at that one.

Her own friends in the game make jokes about the same subject. The game's writers of her make jokes about the same subject in her dialogue (the itching.) Or are you saying she couldn't possibly have any venerial disease after copulating with uncountable numbers of people she doesn't know (on a whim, at that,) in a world where condoms don't exist?

Edited by AGX-17

Not sure what the score is for. You don't think Obsidian should go the Bioware route and do rpgs for the mass market like Bioware have done?

It's a troll rating, for the quality of your troll post. You're getting better, 7/10 might get trolled again.

A) said I didn't like Isabella, and specifically stated it was because of her sexuality

and

B) praised a man for having had sex with too many women to count such that he has acquired all known STDs and only has months to live due to the syphilitic abscess in his brain?

Because if you could, it would go a long way toward making your post approach the borderline keeping it well within the realm of invalid ad hominem.

My bad, it seems I did misunderstand your criticism. But I don't think STD would be an issue as they have magic which I'm sure can cure that type of ailment?

• Like 1

John Milton 

Doesn't DA2 have a scene where you walk in on anders saying something along the lines of "Next time, be more careful" after having cured her of something... (implied to be an STD but Hawke doesn't want to know).

Also DA:O starts at about year 30 in the Dragon Age. And it looks like Inquisition will be in the 40th.

• Like 1

She's a hedonist, not some kind of entrepreneur building a mercantile empire spanning the seas, one blown load at a time.

IIRC if you talk to Isabella enough you find she comes from a hedonistic culture, one in which sex is free and saying no is un-thought of. So I'd agree ultimately the character is a hedonist.

I'm not sure it makes her a bad character, though.

Her own friends in the game make jokes about the same subject. The game's writers of her make jokes about the same subject in her dialogue (the itching.) Or are you saying she couldn't possibly have any venerial disease after copulating with uncountable numbers of people she doesn't know (on a whim, at that,) in a world where condoms don't exist?

My bad, it seems I did misunderstand your criticism. But I don't think STD would be an issue as they have magic which I'm sure can cure that type of ailment?

The real reason why the Mage registry and relocation to a Circle is enforced - free access to STD cleansing.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

"in a world where condoms don't exist?"

How do you know they don't exist?

Anyways, Isabella is a fantastic character. And, she is way more than one note.

Also, asking if she is a 'realistic' woman. Well, it should be pointed out that in RL women are different. they don't react to sex in the same exact way as each other. Soem women loathe sex, some see it as just for baby making, some see it as a way to manipulate men, some do it for money, some do it for love. Many do it for multipel reasons. Just like men. Hedonists exist in real life.  People who claim that Isabella isn't 'realistic' because she likes sex are ignorant.

• Like 4

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

and

And don't make up some fallacy like "Isabella only has sex with men to use them to further her own grand ambitions, showing how foolish men are and how brilliant women are for taking advantage of all the resources at their disposal" because it's very blatantly stated that Isabella just ****s attractive people because she wants to. She's a hedonist, not some kind of entrepreneur building a mercantile empire spanning the seas, one blown load at a time. <===Isabella would almost certainly laugh at that one.

I have to be honest but nothing you are saying makes me think less of her even if it was all true. And as I said the STD aren't an issue because they can be cured :biggrin:

John Milton 

In my one play through of DA2, I kept Isabella out of the party because a) Varric was more useful mechanically and b) she never shut up about sex. If the writers were going for something different than a sex doll for deviants, they failed pretty badly.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Wow you guys are really dismissive of Isabella, I'm sorry you misunderstood her character that badly

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

In my one play through of DA2, I kept Isabella out of the party because a) Varric was more useful mechanically and b) she never shut up about sex. If the writers were going for something different than a sex doll for deviants, they failed pretty badly.

I'm havin a hard time following your logic here. If you kept her out of the party, how can you comment on the writer's achievements? :p

You should play FF6. It's the only one I can replay without rolling my eyes constantly. All the characters have good story arcs, the villain is deranged and evil, and there's a good mix of comedy, action and tragedy that the 16 bit graphics somehow convey better than more modern iterations. It's probably the awesome music. 

I believe there is a version for android now, but I'm not sure what the reception was like as I usually take to my DS to play the GBA port of the game when I get an urge to play the game. 

• Like 1

I'm havin a hard time following your logic here. If you kept her out of the party, how can you comment on the writer's achievements? :p

I kept trying to put her in my party and saw some of her banter during the time sink's that were created with the game. And deliberately put her in my party for certain events (her distaff counterpart, Zevran's appearance). 

I should point out I didn't exactly like Zevran for the same reasons. He was less clunky with "I <3 sex" but still it permeated his whole being to the point it just got boring. Also I tend to play Warrior/rogue characters which means that Zev and Isabela were redundant. 

With the way that the game is designed, DA2 seriously needs to amp up the amount of AOE possible given the only way they increase difficulty is by throwing more enemies at you.