Dragon Age: Inquistion

Since it hasn't been posted, DA:I's emo/boyband party member.

cole-gallery-1.jpg

cole-gallery-3.jpg

"All Cole knows for certain is that the world is full of pain and he must find his place within it."

I just brought up a little bit of vomit in my mouth.

And I thought that Emo elves in DA2 were bad....

Bio has created a new flavour of lameness based on schmaltz, adolescent angst and hyper-sexualised fan-service. Whatever it is, it isn't pulp.

You're still buying this aren't you Monte? Seems to be a big market for these games regardless of this content and a lot of people keep buying them.

Case in point:

we will wait a year before purchasing, but we will purchase eventually.

HA! Good Fun!

Perhaps Obsidian should take some pointers from BioWare, by appealing to the mass market instead of a niche market with their next original IP. :-

• Like 3

Bio has created a new flavour of lameness based on schmaltz, adolescent angst and hyper-sexualised fan-service. Whatever it is, it isn't pulp.

You're still buying this aren't you Monte? Seems to be a big market for these games regardless of this content and a lot of people keep buying them.

Case in point:

we will wait a year before purchasing, but we will purchase eventually.

HA! Good Fun!

Perhaps Obsidian should take some pointers from BioWare, by appealing to the mass market instead of a niche market with their next original IP. :-

Of course Monte will be buying DA:I

Haven't you realised its cool to bash Bioware games around anything you can then still buy there products when released

Oh and I'm not sure if you are joking but the whole mass market target makes sense, that would be a Romance objective for the next PoE

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Haven't you realised its cool to bash Bioware games around anything you can then still buy there products when released

Oh and I'm not sure if you are joking but the whole mass market target makes sense, that would be a Romance objective for the next PoE

Well I do find this thread humorous that a lot of these people will end up buying it anyway.

And I'm not joking. I'm being serious about Obsidian taking pointers from BioWare. Like it or not, Bioware seems to have gone from strength to strength over the years with their games and that translates into more consumer sales and profits. BioWare seems to know that people will buy their games when they include things like romances. If the majority of the market wants it, give it to them.

That why I said their next original IP can appeal to the mass market. If they choose to do an old fashioned hardcore rpg for a very small niche market, then they can do that too. It makes perfect business sense to do an rpg for the mass market too.

• Like 1

The sum of NPCs in DAI so far have been... not promising. Ah well, I'll get a varric/cassandra/vivienne playthrough out of this, at the very least. :p

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Like 2

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

The sum of NPCs in DAI so far have been... not promising. Ah well, I'll get a varric/cassandra/vivienne playthrough out of this, at the very least. :p

Yeah I'm relatively impressed with some of the lady NPC that can join your party, they aren't an Isabela but there backgrounds and objectives look fun enough :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

If Vince Vaughn tried to make a dark, forbidding movie, a piece of film noir, we'd probably laugh at him.

If Obz tried to do a romance-laden game it would be similar but in reverse. Unless of course the romances were all bitter parodies leading to murder and insanity, which might work.

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

If Obz tried to do a romance-laden game it would be similar but in reverse. Unless of course the romances were all bitter parodies leading to murder and insanity, which might work.

I'd totally play that game.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

If Vince Vaughn tried to make a dark, forbidding movie, a piece of film noir, we'd probably laugh at him.

IDK, Vince Vaughn did a pretty good job as a villain in "Domestic Disturbance". I can't count him out as a serious actor just yet.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Since it hasn't been posted, DA:I's emo/boyband party member.

cole-gallery-3.jpg

"All Cole knows for certain is that the world is full of pain and he must find his place within it."

Is that a hat?

It initially tried to be a cohesive Tolkien/GRRM style fantasy setting and now it's morphed into straight up pulp fantasy schlock.

Don't want to be a pedant, but 'Pulp' is good. Pulp is Robert E. Howard. Pulp is Fritz Lieber. Bio has created a new flavour of lameness based on schmaltz, adolescent angst and hyper-sexualised fan-service. Whatever it is, it isn't pulp.

You've seen the covers of some of the pulps, yeah?  And you still say this with a straight face?

I mean no comment on schmaltz and adolescent angst, but the pulps have the reputation they do (rightly or wrongly) because a large percentage of their covers were half-naked (or even naked) women imperiled.  Even Conan's home in Weird Tales wasn't immune - see this gallery of Margret Bundage art - http://weirdtalesmagazine.com/2013/03/01/90-years-of-weird-margaret-brundage-cover-gallery/

And Bundage was a great cover artist, but she was certainly playing up sex and/or violence in her covers.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

*new character intro*

The reason he looks dead-ish is because he's some kind of Fade entity (probably) weirdly bound to the body of a dead mage.  And he won't be romanceable in the slightest, because he basically has the mental outlook of a child and Gaider has explicitly said multiple times that a romance involving him would be foul and repellent.  Just to dispel a little bit of the ridicule.

• Like 3

*new character intro*

The reason he looks dead-ish is because he's some kind of Fade entity (probably) weirdly bound to the body of a dead mage.  And he won't be romanceable in the slightest, because he basically has the mental outlook of a child and Gaider has explicitly said multiple times that a romance involving him would be foul and repellent.  Just to dispel a little bit of the ridicule.

Is a Bioware game, if they reveal a chair companion the first question always is "Will it be romanceable?"

I'm starting to get the feeling that Gaider is overly protective of his characters which kind of compounds with the point that Grommir made about BW games being very safe. So their "dark" characters have the same edge as a cartoon villain. Which is not an accurate depiction since I've seen many cartoon villains that manage to be evil, creepy,ect without wearing a baby's skull around their neck (although if they could pull that off major props, since a baby's skull isn't fully formed and whatnot)

It all just feels as when that kid who hasn't gotten all they way out of childhood tries to project his/her problems onto cartoons and we end up with a drawing of a Goth Sonic the Hedgehog. 

So knowing the self imposed limitations that BW places on themselves I can't feel all that excited about edgy characters reveal, specially when I know they are going to try and make them likable even when they're just psychotic. Is like trying to make Ramsay Bolton likable.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I do hope that the new character is not all what he appears to be. 

Maybe he's DA:I's own version of Ziggy Stardust. Stealing the ladies of the main character's party, all while spellbinding everyone else with his incredible musicianship as the star bard of the kingdoms.

Bah, who am i kidding :(

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

*new character intro*

Thanks Tajero, that is interesting :thumbsup:

After hearing that he has just been moved up in my list of potential party NPC

Its probably a good thing he can't be Romanced because you know what they say .... "Necrophilia is dead boring " :wowey:

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

*new character intro*

given the numerous demands to romance your sibling in da2, am suspecting that the "outlook of a child" would not dissuade a significant % o' the bsn population from requesting that corpse-boy be romanceable. so, while you has managed to possibly dispel some o' the ridicule, we suspect that very shortly we is gonna be getting all new fodder worthy o' even greater contempt and derision... at least if history is telling us anything 'bout predicting bsn reactions regarding romance.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Cole looks like a mix of Kurt Cobain and 1970s-experimental-glam-rock-sensation-David-Bowie

His character bio doesn't sound very promising. It screams of "You'll never understand my pain"-variety.

*new character intro*

given the numerous demands to romance your sibling in da2, am suspecting that the "outlook of a child" would not dissuade a significant % o' the bsn population from requesting that corpse-boy be romanceable. so, while you has managed to possibly dispel some o' the ridicule, we suspect that very shortly we is gonna be getting all new fodder worthy o' even greater contempt and derision... at least if history is telling us anything 'bout predicting bsn reactions regarding romance.

HA! Good Fun!

Numerous requests for incest, really Gromnir? Really..... :skeptical:  Can you provide some links? A few people asking on BSN is not numerous

Hyperbole has always been your strong point..its one of things I find entertaining about your posts

John Milton 

Hey, nothing wrong with a little incest in the fantasy! Heck, it's one of the reason why a certain tv show (that I've never watched heh) is super popular. L0L

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Did you ever read the thread I linked the last time Bethany as a romance came up?

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/124511-bethany-as-love-interest/

And for bonus points:

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/191432-good-news-for-those-of-us-wanting-to-romance-bethany/

I think there were other threads, but the new Bio forum is hard to search...

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Did you ever read the thread I linked the last time Bethany as a romance came up?

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/124511-bethany-as-love-interest/

And for bonus points:

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/191432-good-news-for-those-of-us-wanting-to-romance-bethany/

I think there were other threads, but the new Bio forum is hard to search...

Yes I did read those links but 20 or so people discussing a possible Romance, and many people not supporting it, isn't a reason to suggest that BSN Romance discussions are about incest or that such discussions are numerous

John Milton