RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Discrimination is now good news?

No, no one is suggesting that. But why would you want to join a female only group where they specifically ask that only females are part of?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'd just like to point out that if this was a male only group professional outrage mongers would be readying the pitchforks and torches.

• Like 6

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I'd just like to point out that if this was a male only group professional outrage mongers would be readying the pitchforks and torches.

Keyrock I'm knew someone would bring that up and I'm going to try to explain why its not same thing. I wish Alan was here, I'm sure he would explain it properly

You can't have a men only guild because women have no choice but to join guilds dominated by men. Also lets be honest, we have men  dominated forums, games, guilds, blogs and more. I know what you saying but you can't tell me you really have an issue because a group of women in a game want there own groups? Its not a big deal if you think about the big picture around gender representation?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Keyrock I'm knew someone would bring that up and I'm going to try to explain why its not same thing. I wish Alan was here, I'm sure he would explain it properly

You can't have a men only guild because women have no choice but to join guilds dominated by men. Also lets be honest, we have men  dominated forums, games, guilds, blogs and more. I know what you saying but you can't tell me you really have an issue because a group of women in a game want there own groups? Its not a big deal if you think about the big picture around gender representation?

I don't have an issue with the group at all, I have an issue with the double standard.  I don't have an issue with them making a women only group, yes, it's a public game, but it's a private group, they can include or exclude whoever they want based on whatever criteria they want.  I would equally have no problem with a male only group, or a white only group, but I bet the professional outrage mongers would certainly have a problem with it.  My problem is not with the women only group, more power to them.  My problem is with the professional outrage mongers.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 4

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

There are already plenty of male only groups. Which is why people would be outraged if one set themselves up with it as an intent.
  • Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I'm in a Star Citizen corporation of which I am the only member. It's just a virtual treehouse, no one's going to police them in any way besides the automatic obscene name filter.

Besides, I played WoW for seven years. I never divulged my gender and no one ever seriously asked. Voice chat was strictly optional (hint: Logitech G-key macros), so it's not a policy I'd even be able to enforce - indeed I made it a point to not ask for any personally identifying information in guild applications, just the bare minimum in confirming availability. Sure, it's probably not the common thing to do, but I guess that's the luxury of building up your own community. The early days of Star Citizen would afford plenty of opportunity to do a similar thing if one were so inclined.

P.P.S. Rather than a mod adding the Enclave to New Vegas, I'd rather a mod that removed them from Fallout 3. They died in Fallout 2 and should have stayed dead instead of just being the convenient contextless villains that they are now.

Edited by Humanoid
  • Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/05/07/womens-only-groups-star-citizen/#more-205659

Guys here is a really good article explaining how lady gamers can join exclusive groups if they want in Star Citizen, this is a good news story around an aspect of social justice

Took the RPS Knights long enough to pick that up and 'aspect of social justice' :lol: Basically someone whined about a forum ban as oppression and the Outrage machine picked it up. 

Guess the Goons got their jollies in the end, heh.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/05/07/womens-only-groups-star-citizen/#more-205659

Guys here is a really good article explaining how lady gamers can join exclusive groups if they want in Star Citizen, this is a good news story around an aspect of social justice

Took the RPS Knights long enough to pick that up and 'aspect of social justice' :lol: Basically someone whined about a forum ban as oppression and the Outrage machine picked it up. 

Guess the Goons got their jollies in the end, heh.

No Malc, you've missed the point. These ladies feel victims of sustained discrimination and sexism, they aren't making it up. Its a valid issue. They should be entitled to there own group. Its not unreasonable

John Milton 

No the point is her whining about her ban and some game being played here by Goonrathi.  Funny demands she made too, along with apology and removal of the bans of herself and her Goon mates was for CIG to basically do her bidding for the "safe space" or whatever.     I guess another one would have been for them to fire the moderator so a Goon can take his place :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Discrimination, sexism and inequality are instituted to fight sexism. Ones opinion of the intellect and morals of those concerned is somewhat diminished, hopefully the backers will challenge being denied equal rights based upon their gender.

Edit: Do parents no longer tell their children that two wrongs do not make a right?

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 4

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Discrimination, sexism and inequality are instituted to fight sexism.

I can't believe you really see it like that , I think you are just saying that because you want to be difficult  around this obvious and reasonable reason for  a female only group

Sorry if I sound rude, but I'm just being honest.

John Milton 

I can't believe you really see it like that , I think you are just saying that because you want to be difficult around this obvious and reasonable reason for a female only group

Sorry if I sound rude, but I'm just being honest.

As am I dear boy, as am I.

Edit: It occurs to one that with the amount of times SJW themes are raised in the Random News thread that the topic might deserve its own thread, where such matters might be taken and discussed. Would it be permissable to create such a thread in Off Topic or Computer and Console for said use of? Or would it simply be too argumentative?

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

RSI's response

her recap of the events (and more importantly screencaps of the thread before it got removed/reinstated/moderated - and the information regurgitated through varous channels)

Those are very relevant links, I encourage everyone to read them fully and then still feel that that don't deserve a females only group

John Milton 

I only read the first page of the responses and they were quite polite (especially by internet standards). They boiled down to forum members (including one female) asking why she'd need a female only group in the first place, and what it is that she has to discuss there that she couldn't in regular channels. Those are legitimate questions since she's creating an exclusive group that isn't tied to some game faction/element/whatever.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

why does she have to justify creation of a closed group before some people on the Internet, though? I, too, have a closed group of people playing Arma 3, for example. and we don't let strangers in because they tend to ruin games we run. how is this even an issue? and a bannable offence? 

EDIT: oh, so she was (a) banned for reporting any and all posts calling her out, which apparently is considered abusive according to COC; (b) banned by a volunteer moderator (i.e. possibly, a teenager with no grasp of common sense or ability to draw accurate conclusions on sensitive subjects)

my conclusion: once again the Internet has blown something trivial out of proportions and unnecessarily empowered some random girl, giving her a platform. 

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

That's different and like having a competitive clan and its tied to the game. What she's proposing is excluding all males because some males are **** and that's naturally not going to sit well with people who haven't done anything wrong. Saying females need a "safe environment" is bound to rub normal people the wrong way. Ultimately, the question is, what are these gender exclusive discussions that need a "safe environment" and aren't suited for general chat.

but it's true. most gamers are people in their 20s, i.e. ****tards, in vast majority. and girls do get harassed for playing video games (which is part of a much bigger problem, not going to go into that). so while someone could get upset over it because he wanted to join said group and now he can't, for the majority of people that thread shouldn't have been even a tiny blip on their radar

• Like 2
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

but it's true. most gamers are people in their 20s, i.e. ****tards, in vast majority. and girls do get harassed for playing video games (which is part of a much bigger problem, not going to go into that). so while someone could get upset over it because he wanted to join said group and now he can't, for the majority of people that thread shouldn't have been even a tiny blip on their radar

I'm not saying its not true, I'm saying online gaming is toxic in general. Btw the point of the replies (and no one said she couldn't make the group) was the question what the point of the group was going to be, considering that outside of the group nothing was going to change since the same members can be simply spammed on other forums. No one forbids her anything, they just weren't thrilled about it. This includes some female members of that forum.

Btw, regarding that user:

Let me stress right now: I do not believe anyone on the moderation team banned Lauresh because they are a woman. I am 100% confident that it was because of the 30+ flags complaining about other users in the thread, with profane messages attached: “****ing ban this retard,” “for the love of god would someone please stop this person from ****ting up the thread already,” “mother ****ing trolling” and so on. Lauresh seems to have flagged not only sexist posts (which should be warned/probated) but also anything complaining that the thread was a setup (‘you’re a Goon, you just want to fight, etc.’)...

While Lauresh had been banned before (and warned several times before that,) their previous ban was overturned and should not have counted as a strike. ....

In other words, she's the exact type of vile online personality that's she's complaining against.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

Curiosity question, what is the context of the use of "Goon" in this?

I'm suspecting some kind of alternate definition from the norm the way its used (something common in online gaming?)

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man