What you did today

Tale

Malc, this post highlights just how different you and I are ( which we already know )

I also do what that guy did, you do it because you are trying to give someone good advice. But it can be misunderstood and seen in a negative light....like when you said he was weird for suggesting you use honey. It reminds me of that joke where I  ask a stranger to pay for my groceries in a supermarket line

Well you are weird then. People do what they want usually because they want to, not exactly into telling people how they should do things nor am I particularly tolerant of people doing that to me even over something as mundane as what I use to sweeten my coffee. Nor am I really that interested in random strangers attempting to talk to me, too much worry about being robbed or distracted enough for that, begged for money, trying to be sold something or having some nutcase engage me.

Did at least stare at him until he walked away though, so I guess it was amusing really. :)

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Malc, this post highlights just how different you and I are ( which we already know )

I also do what that guy did, you do it because you are trying to give someone good advice. But it can be misunderstood and seen in a negative light....like when you said he was weird for suggesting you use honey. It reminds me of that joke where I  ask a stranger to pay for my groceries in a supermarket line

Well you are weird then. People do what they want usually because they want to, not exactly into telling people how they should do things nor am I particularly tolerant of people doing that to me even over something as mundane as what I use to sweeten my coffee. Nor am I really that interested in random strangers attempting to talk to me, too much worry about being robbed or distracted enough for that, begged for money, trying to be sold something or having some nutcase engage me.

Did at least stare at him until he walked away though, so I guess it was amusing really. :)

So you are honestly going to tell me you never speak to strangers? I find that hard to believe...what about if you are at a bar waiting to get served a drink? I know you don't drink alcohol but I'm sure you have ordered drinks before ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Why is that strange ? I don't really talk to strangers unless required to.  As for waiting for something, I can easily busy myself by thinking about something or just looking around.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Why is that strange ? I don't really talk to strangers unless required to.  As for waiting for something, I can easily busy myself by thinking about something or just looking around.

I suppose the best reason for talking to strangers is the different and interesting responses you can get, you can learn new things about people that way.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Honey also tastes better.

In coffee?! U mad? O.O

Tea, sure, but coffee? I've tried it, and it's... vile.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I suppose the best reason for talking to strangers is the different and interesting responses you can get, you can learn new things about people that way.

I think it really depends whether people are used to it. In some countries, people are a little more reserved.

I remember going backpacking through England and Scotland with my brother when I was a teenager, and the completely new experience of sitting at random people's tables and having a chat with them. I am pretty sure if I tried that back home people would stare me away from their table with an evil gaze of death.

We had some funny conversations. In Dover, some old geezers who were constantly sniffing tobacco made us a proposition for us to be their drug mules (because, everyone knows us Dutchies do nothing else but drugs all day). We met some Glaswegian girls, one of which was completely convinced that she had an internet relationship with an actor who had played in "Children of the Corn". This was in the early days of the internet, we didn't even have an email address yet, but we were pretty sure she was being duped - but try telling that to a starry-eyed teenager. And I remember this one girl in Glasgow who upon hearing that we had planned to go north loudly said, in thick Glaswegian accent, that up north they were nothing but a "bunch 'o sheep shaggers!" We couldn't stop laughing, the way she said it.

I am not sure whether it was that people are more accepting towards such things at the other side of the sea, or whether it was because people open up more to a bunch of hippie backpacking tourists, but it was a great experience.

That being said, when some stranger approaches me, my first thought is always a suspicious "I wonder what they want from me?"

• Like 2

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

Possibly, but not too sure it's worth the effort of engaging them in long enough a conversation to learn something new about them. Assuming the thing you learn is notable anyway.

As for meeting people, well, enforced situations helps - met fair amount of people through work or school.

I think it really depends whether people are used to it. In some countries, people are a little more reserved.

I remember going backpacking through England and Scotland with my brother when I was a teenager, and the completely new experience of sitting at random people's tables and having a chat with them. I am pretty sure if I tried that back home people would stare me away from their table with an evil gaze of death.

We had some funny conversations. In Dover, some old geezers who were constantly sniffing tobacco made us a proposition for us to be their drug mules (because, everyone knows us Dutchies do nothing else but drugs all day). We met some Glaswegian girls, one of which was completely convinced that she had an internet relationship with an actor who had played in "Children of the Corn". This was in the early days of the internet, we didn't even have an email address yet, but we were pretty sure she was being duped - but try telling that to a starry-eyed teenager. And I remember this one girl in Glasgow who upon hearing that we had planned to go north loudly said, in thick Glaswegian accent, that up north they were nothing but a "bunch 'o sheep shaggers!" We couldn't stop laughing, the way she said it.

I am not sure whether it was that people are more accepting towards such things at the other side of the sea, or whether it was because people open up more to a bunch of hippie backpacking tourists, but it was a great experience.

That being said, when some stranger approaches me, my first thought is always a suspicious "I wonder what they want from me?"

But Wolfmeister you speak to me? We don't know each other...and we always have a good laugh don't we?

• Like 1

John Milton 

Get home from work, everything was great and I was super happy, this day can't go wrong. Come home to a disaster that makes this the second worst day of the year and maybe the 6th worst day in my life. Life is full of surprises, and I have never liked it.

How do you meet people?

That's actually an excellent point, at times I always seem to miss the most relevant question :teehee:

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

Get home from work, everything was great and I was super happy, this day can't go wrong. Come home to a disaster that makes this the second worst day of the year and maybe the 6th worst day in my life. Life is full of surprises, and I have never liked it.

The universe will always correct a positive mood. :p

But Wolfmeister you speak to me? We don't know each other...and we always have a good laugh don't we?

-Increases walking speed-

Look, I am really sorry, but I don't have any change, okay?

• Like 2

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

-Increases walking speed-

Look, I am really sorry, but I don't have any change, okay?

:lol:

Okay that undoubtedly gets the much coveted " BruceVC funniest post of the Week" award

:lol:

John Milton 

The fact that you have a ranked list of the worst days of your life and a ranked list of the worst days per year concerns me much more than whatever happened to ruin your mood.

• Like 1

You too, huh?

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Based on the current evidence, I deduce it is from a man named Brucesam.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Dreamed about having a dog, it was a good dream, maybe I'm getting one in the not so distant future, turning this dream into a self-fulfilling prophecy.... Also according to my weight scale I got some extra kilos, I'm close to 100 now, even though I seem to look slimmer from the cutting. 

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Work, work, work. I hate work. Sure would be nice to win the lotto.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

My body didn't respond well to something I ate, in the last 24 hours I produced so much gas I could have filled three Hindenburg zeppelins with it. Right now I'm trying to be careful not to be close to any electricity sources or open fire, one spark or a tiny ember would be enough to make me fly into orbit like a Saturn V rocket. 

I'm not sure what it was but I guess those eggs I ate weren't so fresh anymore.  :x

• Like 2

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Work, work, work. I hate work. Sure would be nice to win the lotto.

Um...are you a new mod?

The opposite, if I'm not mistaken. :)

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.