What are you playing now

That is an unfair assessment I would say.

AoW3 has done a lot of things that bring it closer to the original Age of Wonders, while trying to modernize the series. Comparing it to Eador, Warlock or Fallen Enchantress, all later games is bound to happen with younger gamers who wouldn't know the older games from over a decade ago, but ultimately unfair.

Personally I see most problems with the Beta Test. There are just so many issues that have people wondering "How did this not get noticed during testing?"

Then I remember the reply by a couple of testers when people were talking about a prominent problem with the AI: "This is not an issue in multiplayer."

That puts a lot of problems in perspective :/

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Fair enough, I haven't tried it myself yet. Guess reports shook my confidence enough not to pay yet.

I have 100 hours on it.

It can't be all bad. But waiting for a couple more patches and the eventual sale is reasonable.

I hope they get some AI work done. The first 3 difficulties are laughable easy. (the problem not being easy, but the ridiculous things they do that let you win)

Edited by melkathi

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I probably shouldn't dip again into early access, but I was really jonesing for a golf game, so I scooped up The Golf Club.  It's early access, and very early access at that, so there are a ton of missing features, but it is quite playable and I'm liking it so far.  I really like the game mechanics.  It's not the standard 3 click swing fare.  There is no power meter.  You aim with the left stick, swing with the right.  Pull down on the stick for backswing, push forward to let it fly.  It's easy enough to do basic full power shots, but 3/4 shots, slices and hooks (performed my pushing not entirely straight up), and other touch shots are a lot trickier.  It's harder to master than the standard 3 click fare and the game is better for it, in my opinion.  I haven't tried using the mouse to swing yet, I read it's quite tricky at the moment, and all the prompts are right now based around a controller.  The ghost ball multiplayer is pretty great since anyone can drop in or out whenever they want and play at their own pace, and you can play against already finished rounds.  The course creator is missing a bunch of features right now, but even in its current state it's pretty robust and very user friendly.  It will procedurally generate a course accorning to a few settings in seconds, and from there you can fiddle with each individual hole to your heart's content.  It's a Unity game and not particularly well optimized at this point.  Graphical settings, at the moment, are limited to resolution, windowed or full screen, low, medium, and high, no advanced settings whatsoever.  On my lappy (i7-3630QM, GT 650M 2GB GDDR5) it runs nice and smooth on low settings, choppy on medium, and slideshow on high.  Anyway, I took a chance and so far I don't feel like I wasted my money.  The game certainly has a ton of potential.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Thank you, I will definitely pick that up.

Just know that it's pretty basic right now with a lot of missing features.  On the plus side, zero crashes or major glitches so far, though that's only a 3 hour-ish sample size.  If you do get the game you can try out the course I made.  It's called "Rusty Meadows".  It took me about 2 hours to make.  I initially made it in about 20 minutes, but then I played the course and every now and then would pop out of my round into the editor (they make it fairly easy to do so), and move some things around, adjust where fairway bunkers are located, change some elevations and pitches around the green.  I tried to design a decent bit of risk/reward into the course.  There's a par 4 potentially reachable in 1, but you'd have to run it up onto the green and thread the needle between some bunkers.  I have several fairways where if you go driver you'll bring fairway bunkers into play, so it might be wiser to grab a 5 wood and lay up, or go for it and try to set up a pitch to the green.  That kind of stuff.  It's my first course made in the game, so I'm sure I made a bunch of mistakes designing it that I'll learn from.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

LOL, I shot 6 over par on my own course.  It was the putting that did me in.  I'm pretty good at the ball striking, and obviously I had an advantage of being intimately familiar with where it's wise to lay up and where I could go for it, but the putting did me in.  Not too much in the way of fairly flat greens on my course and I've yet to master judging how hard I'm going to hit the putt.  Way too many 3 putts in that round.  Oh well, it's a learning experience, both in terms of getting my putting skills dialed in and in terms of golf course design.  While I don't want to make the greens flat and make them too easy, I think I overdid it with the slopes and ridges.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Almost nearing the end of Moebius.  Has been a pretty fun game, the premise is a bit bonkers if you think about it, but that's not a strike against it.  Puzzles are far too easy though, which is a shame, but the story does flow well and makes sense for the most part.  So far I guess it's 7/10 region of scoring.  

Hm, wish POS would improve themselves technically, it's better than Cognition in some aspects but still pretty rough.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Reached Hong Kong in Deus Ex, a delightful change of pace and very welcome. I am strangely enough not making very much use of my augmentations, except for the light which is hardly an extraordinary piece of equipment, and this leaves me wondering whether the next Deus Ex might feature a choice between augmentation and skills. I for one think it would be quite interesting to play as someone like Sam Carter, the former general and UNATCO quartermaster in his earlier days, using skill and ingenuity rather than mechanical augmentation.

I have to wonder whether this would be too much of a stretch from Deus Ex's initial premise however?

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I beat Dark Souls 2.

Now for Catherine or Rayman Origins.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I beat Dark Souls 2.

Gratz :)

How long did it take you and how was it compared to DS1 ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Remember Me is in my Steam list. The name is fitting since I don't remember buying it.

I sent it to you as a present, no need to thank me :biggrin:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Keep thinking I might want to try Payday2... but I'd have nobody to really play with.

Although I am a member of SomethingAwful now, who've been hanging with me in Titanfall (Gen 4 baby!) so I guess I'd find friends through that.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I beat Dark Souls 2.

Gratz :)

How long did it take you and how was it compared to DS1 ?

A little over 50 hours and I beat every boss except a few optional ones tied to PvP areas and Darklurker. But now that I think about it, maybe I should go through the areas leading to Darklurker.

Better in ways than DS1, worse than others. I'm not as interested in the world they have set up. But I like the mechanics better.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

look forward to the journey through the underground to Pripyat, as it's one of the more intense parts of the game.

that's where I stopped and unistalled the game. the idea of an underground tunnels swarming with armed soldiers, that also has some kind of health draining mechanic active throughout the whole place just blew my mind, and I had to bail  :skull:

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I recalled it being pretty bugged and not easy in the first place either.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

I need to find some TF2 servers with better players. Its no fun killing noobs. It got ridiculous at some point, I was on this server and my entire team was snipers and spies. I **** you not. All the noobs think snipers and spies = easy kills with little risk. Rubbish of course, both classes die in droves when played by poor players, unlike the tougher classes. I thought we were going to be destroyed.

It turned out the other team was just as bad although they had better composition. I was waiting for them by the spawn and they literally went in single file over a bridge, and I lined up my flamer behind the heavy and burned five of them at once. The ensuing confusion was glorious,everyone turning around to see where the fire is coming from but obstructed by the heavy until the end because he had more health than all of them. Of course, I only dared to do this because of how bad they were, it takes far too long to flame a heavy to death and a good one with shred you in a second.

I ended up winning another match on my own, taking the final control point while my comrades, all of them spies and snipers were god knows where, probably on the other side of the map. 

I hold no illusions though, the few times I played with what to me look like pro players I was barely able to hold my own and got my ass handed to me more than once.

Playing the pyro is too much fun. There is nothing like reflecting a Demoman's grenade or Soldier's rocket at close range and to see them explode to gibs.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

Keep thinking I might want to try Payday2... but I'd have nobody to really play with.

Although I am a member of SomethingAwful now, who've been hanging with me in Titanfall (Gen 4 baby!) so I guess I'd find friends through that.

Payday 2 gets boring as hell pretty fast, I found. Can only do Rats so often before it gets snooze inducing. :p

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

"Tougher" classes? Such as? My idea of the tougher classes - i.e. the classes I do least well with - were always Pyro and Heavy when I played. Then again, I thought any time I didn't get at least a KDR of 10 was doing poorly...and since I was generally okay as a pubstar with any of the classes, and Pyro and Heavy had the least versatility of all the classes, it usually lead to not as great KDR as any of the others. My most kills in some random pub was I think 72 as a Sniper...on 24 man 2fort. I wish I could actually check, but Valve goofed many years ago and enabled achievements/stats for when sv_cheats was enabled for a short period of time, (maybe a week), and I just happened to play that one custom practice map that I can't recall (that I don't know if is popular anymore) without knowing that and completely screwed up my stats. :(

(e): In regards to Stalker: I'm surprised people found CoP scary in the least. Something about it was a bit different for me than CS/SHoC in that I don't think I felt much frightened or surprised at hardly any point in the game. SHoC is still definitely my favorite for that. I recall the underground section feeling pretty cheesy...not to mention the part that comes after. Game cutscenes were never one of XRay's strong points, and SHoC/CS did well to completely avoid them...besides those three level pan overs (the Agroprom assault, the Rostok Scientist rescue, and the Stancia/CNPP assault) that were more annoying than useful. :)

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

"Tougher" classes? Such as? My idea of the tougher classes - i.e. the classes I do least well with - were always Pyro and Heavy when I played. Then again, I thought any time I didn't get at least a KDR of 10 was doing poorly...and since I was generally okay as a pubstar with any of the classes, and Pyro and Heavy had the least versatility of all the classes, it usually lead to not as great KDR as any of the others. My most kills in some random pub was I think 72 as a Sniper...on 24 man 2fort. I wish I could actually check, but Valve goofed many years ago and enabled achievements/stats for when sv_cheats was enabled for a short period of time, (maybe a week), and I just happened to play that one custom practice map that I can't recall (that I don't know if is popular anymore) without knowing that and completely screwed up my stats. :(

(e): In regards to Stalker: I'm surprised people found CoP scary in the least. Something about it was a bit different for me than CS/SHoC in that I don't think I felt much frightened or surprised at hardly any point in the game. SHoC is still definitely my favorite for that. I recall the underground section feeling pretty cheesy...not to mention the part that comes after. Game cutscenes were never one of XRay's strong points, and SHoC/CS did well to completely avoid them...besides those three level pan overs (the Agroprom assault, the Rostok Scientist rescue, and the Stancia/CNPP assault) that were more annoying than useful. :)

You're never going to get a KDR like that with the Pyro, its just not how the class plays. Its theoretically possible but unlikely considering how close you have to be to get a kill. That sort of engagement is way too risky to run constantly, even inept players can fire a rocket properly at close range sometimes.  I think my record is 24 kills in a single life, although I've beaten that with the demoman. 

When I said tougher classes I meant those that had more HP and could spam their primary. A soldier is very straight-forward. A demoman is almost trivial to play in the chaos of a pub game. The Spy is difficult to play well, most players are dead giveaways. Then again, my perception might be skewered because of the class I play so I generally hunt them rather then the other way around. Now the Sniper is generally easy to play, but I've run into so many players that are zoomed in all the time and focused or something else that they never see me coming I couldn't help but think they'd be better served by playing a class that isn't so specialized.

But yeah, the Pyro is hard to play well. You have to be on the top of your game constantly because the only thing you're good at (close range combat) is where everyone else can actually defend themselves. I enjoy that tension. I play the Medic and the Engineer to relax afterwards.

Finished Moebius, decent enough game in my mind, nothing horrendous about the game as I've read in some reviews, other than the graphics anyway. The ending is disappointing in it seeming to be rushed, but overall was good enough that I don't feel disappointed to kick the money I did in.