What you did today

LadyCrimson

Watching Arsenal screw it up. I am done with this team, better stuff to do on weekends

That's what they all say.

Probably, but definitely not bothering to watch them for the rest of the season

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I feel like we're starting to get the hang of this whole "caring for a baby" thing.  He generally gets fed every 2.5-3 hours, and roughly two-thirds of the time he's content to nap between feedings.  So we manage to get a respectable amount of sleep.  Also, today he got a bath and a walk around the neighborhood.  (This was the first day that the weather really cooperated with the latter goal.)  And I managed to make a fantastic roast chicken dinner. 

Of course, this is with 2 adults around.  Things are going to change when I go back to work, which I'm thinking about doing on April 1.  I've got the leave time to spend, and the wife could use a little more confidence-boosting before she has him all day by herself, but we've got to transition at some point and I do miss doing some of the work-type stuff. 

• Like 3

Watching Arsenal screw it up. I am done with this team, better stuff to do on weekends

That's what they all say.

Probably, but definitely not bothering to watch them for the rest of the season

You'll be back to see us give away the FA Cup to Hull when we score and the referee thinks it's the wrong goal and gives them a point!

You'll be back to see us give away the FA Cup to Hull when we score and the referee thinks it's the wrong goal and gives them a point!

:lol: That was one bright spot today.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The Manchurian Candidate. It was a fluke, a whim, but it turned out to be a real drink. I feel like Prometheus. It doesn't matter if someone discovered something before you, if you discovered it without prior knowledge, you're on even ground with the person/people who first discovered it. Ignorance is bliss, ignorance is truth, going from ignorance to knowledge on your own is the epitome of human intellect.

Participated on a language test that is supposed to test my English skill and if I pass with a high enough grade I get 35-50 euro raise on my wages. Too bad the actual test is more about answering techniques and not about actually understanding the language. You might have questions where all the answers are right, you have to choose the one that is the most right one?!, you have trick questions, not enough time to write (slow writer here) on open listening comprehension tests. And as usual the biggest tests 2 min speaking part and longest writing part were once again ruined by idiotic topics. It's not easy to talk about something for 2 minutes if you don't really feel like the topic suits you at all. You have to come up with stuff and then you can't speak naturally about it, you have weird pauses to collect your thoughts etc ruining any ******** momentum you might have during that 2 minute of time.

Hate the living, love the dead.

US Virgin Islands or Hawai'i would be my suggestions. You don't need passports or currency exchange for either (obviously). USVI is fairly inexpensive once you get there. Hawaii is best if you get away from the tourist areas. Like Oahu... all of it. It's kind of expensive everywhere but the ease of getting around makes up for it. 

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Thinking about quiting my job and going full time at university. I'm 22 and am only halfway to my BA, and I think I can finish it up in 2 years if I'm not working 30 hours a week. Any advice?

Today I did an hour of cardio, going to do a paper and read Volume 3 of The Boys or play some RPG.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Thinking about quiting my job and going full time at university. I'm 22 and am only halfway to my BA, and I think I can finish it up in 2 years if I'm not working 30 hours a week. Any advice?

Today I did an hour of cardio, going to do a paper and read Volume 3 of The Boys or play some RPG.

I'm 29. Quitting last day in June to go back to university full time. Advice? I'm not sure. All I know is that it will be worth it in the long run. Plus, you're only 22, kid.  :p

While driving my F-150 this morning I heard an unsettling metallic *thunk* come from the rear of the truck. After I parked I discovered that the driver's side rear leaf spring mount has rusted through and let go. Crap, crap, and mega crap. They're about $150+ each, plus labor.  This I didn't need.  :down:  Oh, to live in a state where they don't use rock salt like it was going out of style...

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

If you can work and pay for school as you go, future-you won't be literally sad all the time at how much student loan debt there is, I'm told.

Not tropical, but springtime Montreal could be the best breakfast, ever. Amazing architecture, and the Formula One race in June brings out the best black-skirt-high-heels-getting-into-a-taxi-outside-the-nightclub visions in North America. :w00t:   

All Stop. On Screen.

"This is Planet Earth! You're looking at planet Earth! Bopbopbop bopbopbop!"

...if it helps get the housework done...

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Today I was in the gun store and while I had to wait for the gunsmith who was busy with customers I couldn't stop thinking of a

I had to fight the urge to burst out in laughter the entire time I was in the store. 

My brain has an annoying habit of making me think of inappropriate things in all kinds of situations, just out of the blue.  

Do you speak Afrikaans?

I do but I am an English South African so my understanding of Afrikaans is better than how I speak it :)

I've always wondered, does this make you feel a little bit like a foreigner in your native country?

A good question but no it doesn't. English is considered the most important official language, we have 11 "official languages"  in South Africa, so people need to communicate in English.  There are certain communities that only speak and understand English

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I finished my BSEE working full time and taking 8-12 hours per semester including summer sessions when I could get them at night. It took 8 years. That was a hell of a long time. If you have the wherewithal financially to go full time and finish faster, I'd say do it. Less wear and tear on you and you get to your peak earning potential that much faster so in the long run you're better off.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Did you take a couple years off after high school? If you can afford it, you should quit and go to school full time imo.

I'll echo the others and say that if you can afford to you should probably go to school full time. As someone who recently went back to school at 32 this is how I feel

billy-madison-2.jpg

In other news my vacation planning is going well, and thanks for the suggestions, but the missus now has her heart set on Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic. I don't really care as long as it's all-inclusive and adults only.

Free games updated 3/4/21

Sounds about right.

And today I lost all hope.. .Not sure why, just don't have that much hope to have I guess.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Noticed I'd missed The Voice blind auditions (the only part of that show I care about) but lucky for me there's on-demand. So I watched the 1st one. For some reason it always makes me smile - the combo of the silly judge banter and the reactions of the singers when/if chairs turn. I could use some smiles today, so it was a nice way to relax, even if I can't fast forward through the filler.

Also making me smile: Mushroom cat.

Wasabi-Chan-Mushroom1.jpg

(kitten was being tube-fed so they were using the costumes to keep kitty still)

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Noticed I'd missed The Voice blind auditions (the only part of that show I care about) but lucky for me there's on-demand. So I watched the 1st one. For some reason it always makes me smile - the combo of the silly judge banter and the reactions of the singers when/if chairs turn. I could use some smiles today, so it was a nice way to relax, even if I can't fast forward through the filler.

Also making me smile: Mushroom cat.

Wasabi-Chan-Mushroom1.jpg

(kitten was being tube-fed so they were using the costumes to keep kitty still)

:cat:

Shame he doesn't look impressed

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Made a rather impressive breakthrough at work, simple looking back but still will enjoy feeling happy for a couple of hours playing Rust in Peace on my phone, well until the manager tells me to stop playing it.

Hubby is "cheap" in the way where he always feels a bit guilty when something he wants costs more than ... oh, say ... three bucks. Went to Costco today and they had a 1200w microwave for $99. He kept staring at it. Said a workmate told him how 1200w made decent frozen pot pies with the included "crisper" liner. I'm all whatever, babe. :-

Now our old microwave is one we also bought at CostCo/Price Club for cheap .... 20+ years ago. It still works perfectly fine. But it's "only" maybe 700-800w. So walking around in the store, hubby kept mentioning the new one but how the old one still worked and how the new ones probably won't last 20 years etc. I finally went "Hon, if you want it, just get it. it's not like we haven't gotten our money's worth out of the old one." :lol: So he finally went back to put it in the cart. He's so cute.

....so we have a new microwave. Maybe I'll stick the old one in my den so I can nuke my coffee during late night gaming sessions ... oh wait, I don't drink coffee. Hm. ;)