Dragon Age: Inquisition

Gorth

Yeah, to be fair, Anders was whiny in DA:A, just a slightly different kind of whiny.

I didn't really feel the possession didn't explain thing - we don't know how different it made Anders in the ensuing months.  So I just took it on face value.

Still hated the guy in DA2 though.

I guess that in DA:A he came off as more of a man-child, substituting for Alistair (they even look alike) whereas in DA2 he became....er, I'm looking for a softer word for hysteric.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I dunno, Alister struck me as a character who just didn't want responsibility. 

Anders struck me as a guy who was against authority even in DA:A.  He wasn't against responsibility so long as there wasn't an authority breathing down his neck; he only accepted the authority of the Grey Wardens because they weren't the Mage's Tower, IMO.  And he soon blew them off too (which again, was in keeping with the character).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I enjoy Gaider's characters. He has a flair for making them humorous and likeable. Alistair and Awakening Anders both had a sense of humor, they were sarcastic, and it was their endearing trait without which I wouldn't have remembered their names.

But Gaider instead wrote Varric for wit in DA2, leaving Anders with someone who wasn't able to get the same humor and charm into the character, or perhaps didn't even want to.

• Like 2
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

varric was the only character i liked in DA2.  Anders was just awful.

not as bad as the spanish kid from DA1, that character was an embarassment to humankind (i think he was an elf, but i'm going out on a limb and assuming that a human wrote the character)

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Varric was definitely the high point of DA2 for me, followed by Aveline. Funnily enough, neither were romance options. 

I am disappointed that Gaider isn't writing the next DA novel... I liked both of the ones he wrote. I've tried to read videogame novels in the past -- a Mass Effect one, an Elder Scrolls one, a SWTOR one, and a Guild Wars one -- and they were all pretty awful. 

Varric is probably the best dwarf ever to be featured in video games. Just sayin'.

Oghren, you fool.

Three words. Korgan motherf*cking Bloodaxe. 

• Like 5

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Varric >>>> Korgan >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Oghren

Hell, I'll take that dwarven child killer from BG before Oghren. L0L

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Varric was an overall cooler character, but Oghren was a funnier character.  Especially if you brought him along in your party.  He had some of the funnier (cruder) party banter lines.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

it's in the customer's best interest to wait at least a year after release to atually play them.

If you're in to common sense. Me, I like the purest form of indignation only available with early adoption. Sweet, sweet complaining is best when fresh and deserved. :p   

All Stop. On Screen.

varric was the only character i liked in DA2.  Anders was just awful.

not as bad as the spanish kid from DA1, that character was an embarassment to humankind (i think he was an elf, but i'm going out on a limb and assuming that a human wrote the character)

I dug Aveline and Isabela, too. Both the siblings are ok too, but I'm not sure if their limited screen time is an advantage or disadvantage. Mechanically, to represent the "other side" of the mage/templar conflict, I think they are interesting.

Fenris, Merrill, Anders and Sebastian... I am, at best, indifferent to. Every time I replay this game I find myself just using a combination of Aveline, Isabela, Varric and Bethany (as much as I can), subbing Anders is for his gameplay advantages when I have to. :/

• Like 1

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I dug Aveline and Isabela, too. Both the siblings are ok too, but I'm not sure if their limited screen time is an advantage or disadvantage. Mechanically, to represent the "other side" of the mage/templar conflict, I think they are interesting.

Fenris, Merrill, Anders and Sebastian... I am, at best, indifferent to. Every time I replay this game I find myself just using a combination of Aveline, Isabela, Varric and Bethany (as much as I can), subbing Anders is for his gameplay advantages when I have to. :/

That's who I tend to use/leave behind as well. I think the only time I've ever used Sebastian was when I did the quests specifically about him. I don't mind Merrill, but I usually only bring one mage, and her abilities never felt all that useful. I hardly ever used Fenris. Anders was brought along solely for his healing abilities.

That is one thing I really hope DAI changes -- giving us flexibility with the companion abilities/roles in the party. DA2 was so restrictive.

Edited by Noviere
  • Like 1

it's in the customer's best interest to wait at least a year after release to atually play them.

If you're in to common sense. Me, I like the purest form of indignation only available with early adoption. Sweet, sweet complaining is best when fresh and deserved. :p   

See my signature.

I'm pre-order the CE as soon as it's available.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.