Dragon Age: Inquisition

Gorth

So, apparently the Warden & Hawke are confirmed to make an appearance, since that's apparently so damn important. I don't care much for this idea given it'll only disappoint more than it'll satisfy people.

This has been a rumor forever.

It's literally impossible to get both of them in the game. Two different models, etc.

It's probably not impossible. There was talk of that official program to let players set the story state of the last two games before starting a new Inquisition campaign. It's not unthinkable that they could throw in the character creator with that and allow players to make new models for Hawke and the Warden if they intended to do so early enough in development. I could totally believe it would be more trouble than it's worth though.

Edited by Serrano

I'd also doubt they'd do that and at the same time I'd question again why it's so important that they are accounted for -- I've gotten the impression the franchise revolved around the world, where each entry would tell a story about different parts that make up the world of Dragon Age. Both of their stories have been told - The Warden relates to the Darkspawn & Blights and Hawke's relates to 'how-not-to-tell-a-story' formed up by random coincidences, put together to create a blob of tripe. I suppose it goes back to the priority of trying too hard to appeal to everyone's craving instead of focusing on something people didn't ask for/something new & innovative.

As long as an Anders appearance isn't confirmed there is hope.

I'm pretty sure Anders will be in it, since letting him live was a HUGE option in DA2.

Sure, let's make the terrorist, gay, apostate, possessed mage a recurring character. Good role models are overrated in my opinion.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I'm pretty sure Anders will be in it, since letting him live was a HUGE option in DA2.

Sure, let's make the terrorist, gay, apostate, possessed mage a recurring character. Good role models are overrated in my opinion.

I don't know if you're serious or not.

Maybe Bio is actually trying to make a statement about how history portrays terrorists freedom fighter-types.  :shifty:

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Not to derail the thread, but yes, it is a pity that a character seen by gamers as 'gay' (though in 'reality', 'player sexual') is a two dimensional whiney emo terrorist that comes on way too strong (in my understanding there was no way to let him down gently without him getting petty/unpleasant/earning a heap of rivalry points).

On topic - they should leave the warden alone or run the same risk as any film adaptation of a book. And the film in this case would be like a low budget aimed at a different audience than the book. However I doubt at this point there'll be much overlap between the people who bought DA: O and those that will buy DA:I, so I guess Bio can defile away to their hearts' content.

Edited by Halaster

Not to derail the thread, but yes, it is a pity that a character seen by gamers as 'gay' (though in 'reality', 'player sexual') is a two dimensional whiney emo terrorist that comes on way too strong (in my understanding there was no way to let him down gently without him getting petty/unpleasant/earning a heap of rivalry points).

Its interesting that you have played DA:I and have so much insight into the gay character, thanks for giving us your opinion. Oh wait DA:I hasn't been released yet.....

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

He was referring to Anders in DA II. Which I believe he also hasn't played, but likely has heard about. 

Anders isn't gay, and if you're referring to non-straight characters there isn't just Anders but Zevran, Leliana, Merrill, Isabela, Fenris, Branka, Hespith, Wade, Harren, and now the Orlesan Empress.

If you think they're all terrible, and some people do, then it's probably because you dislike most BioWare characters. Fair, but hardly limited to queer characters.

• Like 4

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I would guess because Patrick Weekes is also a novelist.

For Dragon Age: Last Flight, they hired a non-BioWare novelist. 

It would be nice if EA/BioWare hired a decent fantasy artist to do their covers. The Last Flight one looks like they used one of Tor's in-house artist.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

He was referring to Anders in DA II. Which I believe he also hasn't played, but likely has heard about. 

Anders isn't gay, and if you're referring to non-straight characters there isn't just Anders but Zevran, Leliana, Merrill, Isabela, Fenris, Branka, Hespith, Wade, Harren, and now the Orlesan Empress.

If you think they're all terrible, and some people do, then it's probably because you dislike most BioWare characters. Fair, but hardly limited to queer characters.

I'd just like to point out that Anders' sexual orientation has nothing to do with my hate for him.

Him being a whiny self-centered, self-pitying (I don't think that's a word) idiot otoh, has. I mean, even Fenris , the self-proclaimed anti-mage zealot, was more open minded than Anders (you can actually get him to fight at your side *with* the mages). I'll admit I didn't feel even a twinge of guilt running Anders through in DA2 and unless he actually grows at least a single brain cell I'll gladly do the same in DA:I.

But now I'm eagerly anticipating being able to finish him off once and for all in DA:I (or make him the villain in some game, that would be a nice plot-twist ;) )

Edited by marelooke

Why do you believe I haven't played DA2 - because I make a criticism of it that you disagree with? (FYI I did play it) I disliked almost all the party characters in DA2 regardless of their orientation (in contrast to DA: O) simply because - imho - they were written for a young teen audience with the depth and issues that are relevant to that demographic. If I were 15 or 16, I'd probably have connected better with them. My point was though, that if Gaider wants to make a social comment with a character, he should, in my opinion, try not to make him a petty whiney emo terrorist. At least for my demographic - teen mileage may differ.

I was thinking it would be nice if BioWare made a game where you could make bad decisions.

I dunno, currently playing DA2 and having a harder time making good decisions. I mean, when the dude wants me to help him gather obvious gunpowder, I can make the good decision of not doing it or the bad decision of helping him, but the end result is the same. :p

Pretty sure you can make some fairly bad decisions in Awakening, too?

If both decisions lead to the same result, it's not much of a decision. If helping Anders led to the Chantry blowing up, and not helping him meant it didn't blow, it would be a rather meaningful one.

That was kind of my point.

So, apparently the Warden & Hawke are confirmed to make an appearance, since that's apparently so damn important. I don't care much for this idea given it'll only disappoint more than it'll satisfy people.

This has been a rumor forever.

It's literally impossible to get both of them in the game. Two different models, etc.

Dragon Age Keep. I just made the impossible possible again. Where's my halo.

• Like 1

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I'd just like to point out that Anders' sexual orientation has nothing to do with my hate for him.

Him being a whiny self-centered, self-pitying (I don't think that's a word) idiot otoh, has. I mean, even Fenris , the self-proclaimed anti-mage zealot, was more open minded than Anders (you can actually get him to fight at your side *with* the mages). I'll admit I didn't feel even a twinge of guilt running Anders through in DA2 and unless he actually grows at least a single brain cell I'll gladly do the same in DA:I.

But now I'm eagerly anticipating being able to finish him off once and for all in DA:I (or make him the villain in some game, that would be a nice plot-twist ;) )

This. And the fact that they totally rewrote his personality between Awakening and DA2. He was my favorite companion in the expansion:

Yeah, yeah. I know Gaider defended the rewrite as his own idea and stuff. And as a concept for character development, it's original and interesting. But it was a hack job; DA2 Anders just comes off as annoying, petty and whiny. Certainly not what one would expect from a powerful mage that is both the victim of constant unjust persecution and possession by a spirit of justice. The new voice actor didn't help either.

• Like 5

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I disliked the new Anders immensely in DA2. Where in DA:A he was witty and on some occasions funny, in DA2 too I was all to happy to end him.

• Like 4

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Why do you believe I haven't played DA2?

Because you said "in my understanding there was no way to let him down gently without him getting petty/unpleasant/earning a heap of rivalry points." That sounds like you're going on second hand knowledge.

...because I make a criticism of it that you disagree with?

Amusingly, I didn't read your post as a criticism of the game, but of gamers.

• Like 1

This. And the fact that they totally rewrote his personality between Awakening and DA2. He was my favorite companion in the expansion:

Yeah, yeah. I know Gaider defended the rewrite as his own idea and stuff. And as a concept for character development, it's original and interesting. But it was a hack job; DA2 Anders just comes off as annoying, petty and whiny. Certainly not what one would expect from a powerful mage that is both the victim of constant unjust persecution and possession by a spirit of justice. The new voice actor didn't help either.

Merging Anders and Justice was a nice loophole, but ultimately they didn't fully commit to the idea. It wasn't a retcon or a rewrite, he was simply two different characters.

• Like 1

Nope. Same character. Just one that went off the deepend and snapped.  He was 'annoying' in both games. Seriously, the guy was a psycho in DA1 always going on about a stupid cat and how tough he had it. It just continued on in part 2. It's called character progression. And, killing him the crazy person was a satisfying experience.

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Yeah, to be fair, Anders was whiny in DA:A, just a slightly different kind of whiny.

I didn't really feel the possession didn't explain thing - we don't know how different it made Anders in the ensuing months.  So I just took it on face value.

Still hated the guy in DA2 though.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man