Dragon Age: Inquisition

Gorth

I think for a lot of people, it's mere existence comes across as forced. In ME3, Steve made a casual reference to his husband that passed on. My reaction: "WHOA! He's gay!" I make that reaction because, well, it's not something I'm used to see. But I'll remember that... Makes a casual reference to his wife passing on? Do I even blink an eye? (I actually love Shepard's response to that line, given that it unphases Shepard in the slightest).

Got an eye roll from me, not for him being gay but for having to deal with the trauma of a dead loved one, haunting him, etc. Still find the consequence of his arc BS - oh he gets over his partner's demise and manages to not get shot down. :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Alan, settle down a bit. No one here is pro-rape or suggesting that any victim of rape was asking for it.

What you are describing could be a good scenario in DA:I. Our hero the adventurer has to protect a victim of rape under dubious circumstances (who said what to whom and did what when and where) from a village of bigoted peasants. You could even make it more interesting is that the girl having deliberately broken several taboos before the rape (slept with married husbands and bragged about it) and the rape itself was a not a result of mob rule, but rather a highly controlled ritual with special robes, chanting and such to give it a sinister vibe. Heck, have the victim being partly brainwashed into believing that the rape was justified according to their local code of conduct. Finally, if our hero defends her and tries to help her escape it will result in a massacre of the whole village, unless the hero has a reaaaaally high wisdom/diplomacy-stat, and having her alone without any previous friends or relatives.

I don't know but your post just seems to me some indirect way to get some kind of rape example into an RPG and have a way to justify it. Like when you say "that the girl having deliberately broken several taboos before the rape"

I know RPG can contain mature topics but any example in any game where the developers try to position the rape as " the victim may have deserved it" I would find highly offensive and unacceptable. And the reality is no gaming studio would position rape in such a way

You missed my point entirely. In order to have an interesting conflict, you have to both parties feeling justified for their actions. After all it, is all up to the player on what to do in that situation and the consequences those actions provide. 

In no way did i insinuate that the developers were pro-rape. It is all in your head.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Alan, settle down a bit. No one here is pro-rape or suggesting that any victim of rape was asking for it.

What you are describing could be a good scenario in DA:I. Our hero the adventurer has to protect a victim of rape under dubious circumstances (who said what to whom and did what when and where) from a village of bigoted peasants. You could even make it more interesting is that the girl having deliberately broken several taboos before the rape (slept with married husbands and bragged about it) and the rape itself was a not a result of mob rule, but rather a highly controlled ritual with special robes, chanting and such to give it a sinister vibe. Heck, have the victim being partly brainwashed into believing that the rape was justified according to their local code of conduct. Finally, if our hero defends her and tries to help her escape it will result in a massacre of the whole village, unless the hero has a reaaaaally high wisdom/diplomacy-stat, and having her alone without any previous friends or relatives.

I don't know but your post just seems to me some indirect way to get some kind of rape example into an RPG and have a way to justify it. Like when you say "that the girl having deliberately broken several taboos before the rape"

I know RPG can contain mature topics but any example in any game where the developers try to position the rape as " the victim may have deserved it" I would find highly offensive and unacceptable. And the reality is no gaming studio would position rape in such a way

You missed my point entirely. In order to have an interesting conflict, you have to both parties feeling justified for their actions. After all it, is all up to the player on what to do in that situation and the consequences those actions provide. 

In no way did i insinuate that the developers were pro-rape. It is all in your head.

I never said you said that?

But why would you want to have a subject like rape in an RPG where there is chance if not done properly, and since I know you don't place much credence in deep and meaningful writing in RPG as you mentioned around your view on Romance (well I think you said that :) ), it would lead to an unintentional trivializing of this serious social issue

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

No Nep, I have never had this discussion before..ever  :ermm:

You must be suffering from sort of cognisant hallucination, it must be stress related. Come to South Africa for a holiday, you  can stay with me for free :dancing:

If you do, mind the rapists in SA.

Malc that is cheeky...very very cheeky

I'm not going to let your parents know because I don't want you to get into trouble  but all I will say is " you naughty naughty boy" :aiee:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

But why would you want to have a subject like rape in an RPG where there is chance if not done properly, and since I know you don't place much credence in deep and meaningful writing in RPG as you mentioned around your view on Romance (well I think you said that :) ), it would lead to an unintentional trivializing of this serious social issue

Well Alan brought up all those horrible stories that were even worse than my example, and consequently i thought how that could be repressented in an RPG in a serious manner...well atleast tried to. As for romance, i do not like it in an RPG since it is handled like a vapid romantic comedy, which i hate with a burning passion.

Love however, would be great in an RPG though, think of the interaction that would be at par of "The Eternal Sunshine and the Spotless Mind", "Lost in Translation" or "Her". 

Edited by Meshugger
  • Like 1

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Love was handled well with Boone in New Vegas. Probably wouldn't satisfy those who need sexytyme, but it helped flesh out the character.

Now if you will excuse me, I have a meeting with the High Council of the Patriarchy.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Well Alan brought up all those horrible stories that were even worse than my example, and consequently i thought how that could be repressented in an RPG in a serious manner...well atleast tried to. As for romance, i do not like it in an RPG since it is handled like a vapid romantic comedy, which i hate with a burning passion.

Love however, would be great in an RPG though, think of the interaction that would be at par of "The Eternal Sunshine and the Spotless Mind", "Lost in Translation" or "Her". 

Okay thanks for explaining, I may be overreacting  :blush:

John Milton 

I'd love that.

Do you have a Ph.D. in missing the point?

No, that's me!
  • Like 3

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

actually, we has noticed that alan frequent is the one who misses the point. he gets focused on his (or bioware's) agenda, and complete misses the issue at hand. is tiresome how dogged he can be barking up the wrong tree. that being said, rape, in which victim ain't viewed as a victim, were already inserted into a bio game and virtual nobody cared. the drow companion from bg2 regales you with events o' her time after bg1 and it includes angry villagers and very strong implication o' rape. truth-to-tell, we thinks bioware's handling o' viconia's victimization were far better than much o' their attempts to be Vanguards for social justice insofar as non-traditional sexual pairings is concerned.  too often bioware's efforts appear forced or silly when they don their Heroes of Justice cape.

that being said, bio's traditional romances is also seeming silly... if a bit less forced. tangential and optional sidequests is dead-ends that can only be improved some small degree. bio romances will always be seeming rushed and puerile to many o' the more adult purchasers o' bio games. 

*shrug*

biowarians make games. they read boards and know their fans. am understanding that some o' the biowarians feel like they gots something important to say, and it must be a great temptation to such progressive biowarians to use their commercial product that gives them access to millions o' people to present their agenda.  is not a noteworthy fact, but Gromnir is a minority. big deal. who cares? we bring up 'cause we gots friends and family that is like bioware. every freaking conversation about anything invariably finds its way back to how the government has been giving "us" the fuzzy end of the lollipop for hundreds of years. talk o' taxes is becoming illustrative o' how government hates us. annoying, but understandable. the thing is we can discuss movies, or food or games and frequent we is still gonna end up having somebody wanting to raise spectre o' bigotry and prejudice. is... tedious. the biowarians can become similarly tedious, albeit to a lesser degree. fortunately, most of bioware's clumsy attempts to promote social change is limited. we get our eye-roll moment and little else.

if biowarians can feels better about themselves as they champion a righteous social cause, so be it. such efforts don't make their games better or worse (for the most part) and it no doubt gives the social heroes a warm-and-fuzzy feeling when they sees nerdling crusades and internet magazine articles that quote their in-game efforts. is cute and largely harmless.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Okay thanks for explaining, I may be overreacting  :blush:

No worries, it's alright.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

"but they don't represent what the feminist movement is suppose to stand for. It does much more good than bad"

The 'feminist' movement is sexist by its fairy nature.  Feminism means feminism = good masculinity = bad because feminism = equality (lol) and masculinty = rape culture. LMFAO

People who want TRUE equality are not feminists since Feminism is pro female and anti male. Period. TRUE equality is about equality between the genders. PERIOD.

TEST: You find it  understandable if a woman hits her boyfriend if she finds out he cheated on her and you think it is acceptable if she gets 'revenge' on him by breaking/trashing/stealing his stuff. Opposite side, if you find it unacdeptable for a man to hit his girlfriend under the same situation you are NOT a believer in equality. PERIOD.  Also, youa re insulting both women and men in both scenarios even though you may THINK you ar ebeing pro WOMAN you aren't.

\Why is it acceptable to view women as fragile creatures who are weak that need protection ala children when theya re grown adults? DISGUSTING anti women attitude. And, sadly, most feminists think like that.

Another scenario: Man hits man. Man retaliates. That's okay. Woman hits man. Man retaliates. That's not okay. How do people who claim to beleive in equality think like that? It's insane!

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

is like watching a car wreck. maybe not always, but sometimes you can't prevent self from taking a peek. the morbid curiosity that leads folks to glance at car/train/plane wrecks is no different than the urge to peek at a vol post. sure, you is slightly embarrassed by the knowledge that some part o' you is wanting to see a bloodied driver or perhaps even a decapitated limb, but you look nevertheless. at best you see nothing and drive away with only your dignity besmirched in some small way. the alternative is what we get above... some kinda nightmarish scene that can traumatize children and makes weak of constitution faint. 

"oh, what a world--what a world."

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)