Nelson Mandela, dead at 95

Malcador

South Africa's first black president and anti-apartheid icon Nelson Mandela has died, South Africa's president says.

Mr Mandela, 95, led South Africa's transition from white-minority rule in the 1990s, after 27 years in prison.

He had been receiving intense home-based medical care for a lung infection after three months in hospital.

In a statement on South African national TV, Mr Zuma said Mr Mandela had "departed" and was at peace.

"Our nation has lost its greatest son," Mr Zuma said.

The Nobel Peace Prize laureate was one of the world's most revered statesmen after preaching reconciliation despite being imprisoned for 27 years.

He had rarely been seen in public since officially retiring in 2004.

"What made Nelson Mandela great was precisely what made him human. We saw in him what we seek in ourselves," Mr Zuma said.

"Fellow South Africans, Nelson Mandela brought us together and it is together that we will bid him farewell."

UK Prime Minister David Cameron paid tribute to Mr Mandela, saying "a great light has gone out in the world".

Earlier, the BBC's Mike Wooldridge, outside Mr Mandela's home in the Johannesburg suburb of Houghton, said there appeared to have been an unusually large family gathering.

Among those attending was family elder Bantu Holomisa,

A number of government vehicles were there during the evening as well, our correspondent says.

Since he was released from hospital, the South African presidency repeatedly described Mr Mandela's condition as critical but stable.

Born in 1918, Nelson Mandela joined the African National Congress (ANC) in 1943, as a law student.

He and other ANC leaders campaigned against apartheid (white-only rule).

He was sentenced to life imprisonment in 1964, but was released in 1990 as South Africa began to move away from strict racial segregation.

He was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1993 and was elected South Africa's first black president in 1994. He stepped down after five years in office.

After leaving office, he became South Africa's highest-profile ambassador, campaigning against HIV/Aids and helping to secure his country's right to host the 2010 football World Cup.

He was also involved in peace negotiations in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Burundi and other countries in Africa and elsewhere.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-25249520

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

[Removed Image]

He was a great man. Probably one of the most important men of the 20th century. He will not be forgotten. 

Also he had a lot of humour. I think he wouldn't be offended. Thus the picture. Rest in peace, Mr. Mandela.

Edited by Rosbjerg
profanity.

Elan_song.gif

That quote would look better.. if it actually had a picture of Mandela.

I'm not going to explain that one. Seriously.

Son, I am disappoint.jpg to those who do not know where that quote is from.

Also, Nelson Mandela, dead at 95. ShadySands likes this.

Edited by Slinky

That quote would look better.. if it actually had a picture of Mandela.

I'm not going to explain that one. Seriously.

Hey, some news just should have a bit longer for the general taking a moment.. that's all. :)

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Also, Nelson Mandela, dead at 95. ShadySands likes this.

Sure, why not.

I like the tribute thread not the fact that he died  :shrugz:

I know, it was a joke :)

Looking back on the 20th century, we had some amazing Civil Rights activists.  It will be interesting to see who rises to the occasion in the 21st Century.  It will be even more amazing when we no longer need them.

So far in the 21st Century the only impressive activist I've seen has been Malala Yousafzai.  

IMO Mandela's political life died when Zuma took over.

EDIT: But by all accounts the old boy worked very hard, threw down his enemies, then forgave them. More than I suspect I'll ever achieve. :)

Edited by Walsingham
  • Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Not to mention the impact his life had.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

It'll be tough to name any political leader who got more universal love and admiration than him in the last twenty years.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Yes it is a sad day for South Africans and most of  the world. But he was great man who lived a great life.  If someone had to ask out of all the values and traits that Nelson Mandela could teach a person what would be  the most important, I would say " reconciliation" and "compromise"

Very important and nowadays often forgotten. Nelson Mandela. An iconic,loved and respected man. A true father to all for the South African nation.

Nelson Mandela, RIP

• Like 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

It is hard to say if a person's life will be remembered through posterity, with Mandela there are no doubts in my mind that he will be a part of history.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Wow I've been watching all the tributes and interviews with people paying respect to Nelson Mandela. Its been both poignant and inspirational to see and also the fact that he touched so many lives in so many different ways

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

It's been obvious for a while now that he wouldn't pull through this one, but hearing it announced officially is still sad.

ki1wBqN.jpg

It's also really unfortunate that the the ANC, the party he became the face of, has been... less than optimal as of late.
Hell, there's rumblings to have Zuma impeached for stealing taxpayer money. The current state of the ANC isn't what Mandela fought to achieve, and to have this shadow around the ANC at the time of his death is just the biggest pity.

• Like 1

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

95 is a fair age to die at, if you look at the responses, you'd think Jesus himself had died. That just goes to show how impactful this man's life has been.

RIP. 1994 was the age where I started to become aware of the world (in large part due to the fact that the Netherlands has news for children) and Mandela's presidency is one of the first noteworthy world events I have a recollection of.

• Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

It's been obvious for a while now that he wouldn't pull through this one, but hearing it announced officially is still sad.

ki1wBqN.jpg

It's also really unfortunate that the the ANC, the party he became the face of, has been... less than optimal as of late.

Hell, there's rumblings to have Zuma impeached for stealing taxpayer money. The current state of the ANC isn't what Mandela fought to achieve, and to have this shadow around the ANC at the time of his death is just the biggest pity.

That's a nice quote :)

I don't want to hijack this debate and resort to a political discussion but there are many things that the ANC has done right. But yes there are several political and social challengers we are facing in South Africa

• Subpar education at certain levels means people finish school and are unemployable
  • A lack of real accountability and political discipline within the ANC means people can  make serious political mistakes or be incompetent and there are no consequences
  • Trade Unions are too influential and powerful
  • We have people that still think Communism is great and big business is evil. So we have an ideological conflict within the country amongst people and within political parties

But the good outweighs the bad in South Africa and I am confidant we can resolve this issues as time goes on :)

John Milton 

This isn't really Mandela's fault, but... I've found South African businesses almost impossible to work with. Every time I run into someone who clearly feels it is their right to have a job (see Bruce's comment above) and is unwilling to work _at all_. And I'm not talking working poorly or slowly. I mean quite literally at all. Across banking, shipping, government etc.

So the irony is that in a country where people would kill to get a job, no-one's lifting a finger to keep them.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

• We have people that still think Communism is great and big business is evil. So we have an ideological conflict within the country amongst people and within political parties

Eh you know how it is, over here we have the other problem: we still have people who think that big business is great and communism is inherently evil ;)

• Like 5

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

This isn't really Mandela's fault, but... I've found South African businesses almost impossible to work with. Every time I run into someone who clearly feels it is their right to have a job (see Bruce's comment above) and is unwilling to work _at all_. And I'm not talking working poorly or slowly. I mean quite literally at all. Across banking, shipping, government etc.

So the irony is that in a country where people would kill to get a job, no-one's lifting a finger to keep them.

Yeah that's true, there is a sense of job entitlement in South Africa and lack of attitude to do hard work. Certain people want the nice car and huge house but don't seem to understand the principle of working your way up. This only applies to certain people. The circles that I move in across the racial spectrum  do understand the process to achieve financial success is not given to you but normally achieved on your own through diligence, effort and perseverance

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton