Nelson Mandela, dead at 95

Malcador

Good riddance. Bastard should've been hanged.

Cultist I know you'll battle with this concept but some jokes are just not appropriate.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Cultist I know you'll battle with this concept but some jokes are just not appropriate.

Not that I'm saying I agree with him, because I believe Mandela's later work far outweighs the methods he used in his early life, but one man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist.

Dirty deeds done cheap.

Oh, i am not joking. He is a man who have done everything for ruination of his country. He succeeded.

Maybe you can remind me what he has done that has ruined South Africa?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Not that I'm saying I agree with him, because I believe Mandela's later work far outweighs the methods he used in his early life, but one man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist.

Yes you can argue that he was a terrorist in the same way that the French resistance were terrorists when they opposed the Nazi's as the Nazi's were the "rulers" of France for a time. But no-one takes that seriously as Mandela fought against an inhuman and draconian government that believed in a system that was based on racial discrimination

John Milton 

Maybe you can remind me what he has done that has ruined South Africa?

I am not here to educate you with walls of text or graphs. I stated my opinion.

I thought that would your response. I get it though, its difficult to make a point when you don't know the facts

• Like 1

John Milton 

But the good outweighs the bad in South Africa and I am confidant we can resolve this issues as time goes on :)

Heh, right.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

No, I am just not interested in wasting time proving some point on a forum.

So basically you are objecting to the purpose and reason that we have forums? Because a forum exists for discussion and debate. Cultist you won't be wasting anyone's time, I'm sure many people are keen to get your insight in this matter. And if you are correct I will acknowledge it.

John Milton 

And mainly wasted as, really, their minds are made up (despite whatever crap BruceVC wil say).

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Bruce, leave it. This thread was meant to pay tribute to a great man, not to argue with internet fascists. This forum has a couple of them. Don't let them hijack the thread, just put them on ignore.

And remember, even in death, Mandela has more impact than his opponents will ever have.

• Like 4

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

And mainly wasted as, really, their minds are made up (despite whatever crap BruceVC wil say).

:biggrin:  Oh Malc you are being such a naughty boy today, I have a good mind to tell your parents who will then send you to your room with no dessert tonight !!!

And for the record if someone makes a point that is valid I will accept it. I am not intransigent

Bruce, leave it. This thread was meant to pay tribute to a great man, not to argue with internet fascists. This forum has a couple of them. Don't let them hijack the thread, just put them on ignore.

And remember, even in death, Mandela has more impact than his opponents will ever have.

You right, I'm not going to argue anymore on this thread. Thx for the reminder :)

John Milton 

Anyway, Nelson Mandela did a lot of great work to try to improve the lot of people in South Africa. It's a shame that the people who followed him haven't picked up the baton. I have only ever personally met a few South Africans, all white, and their attitudes were breath-taking. I truly hope they're a dying breed.

Dirty deeds done cheap.

So basically you are objecting to the purpose and reason that we have forums? Because a forum exists for discussion and debate. Cultist you won't be wasting anyone's time, I'm sure many people are keen to get your insight in this matter. And if you are correct I will acknowledge it.

Don't be silly and twist my words. Because forums exist for discussion and debate I am not obliged to participate in each and every discussion. I'll be wasting my time. On a not entertaining discussion. I already stated my opinion but going into details will 1) Get me banned, and, more importantly, 2) is boring for me.

MzpydUh.gif

Anyway, Nelson Mandela did a lot of great work to try to improve the lot of people in South Africa. It's a shame that the people who followed him haven't picked up the baton. I have only ever personally met a few South Africans, all white, and their attitudes were breath-taking. I truly hope they're a dying breed.

Well I hope I can change that perspective that not all white south Africans are that bad :)

John Milton 

Well I hope I can change that perspective that not all white south Africans are that bad :)

I'm sure they weren't representative though, I should warn you, there's a song.

Dirty deeds done cheap.

I'm sure they weren't representative though, I should warn you, there's a song.

A song?

There are basically two types of South Africans who chose to immigrate. One group when apartheid ended believed that a black government could never run a country and didn't want to be part of rebuilding of the country. The other group immigrated because they felt unsafe in the new South Africa and wanted to live in a country where there was better security because we do have a relatively high crime rate. I guarantee you that you met the former group, they would have complained a lot and been very racist and derogatory.

John Milton 

If you guys ever get a chance please read the book "Playing the Enemy" by John Carlin. It is based around the 1995 Rugby World Cup but it is really a book about Mandela and how he found sports to be a way to build bridges between two different societies. The movie Invictus touched on it a little bit but the book is much better and goes into much greater detail.

I know many books have been written about him but I found that one to be the best for the folks with a casual interest in him and the end of apartheid.

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

One good thing about national-teams, they bring people together - will be seeing all this mindless flag waving here come Sochi :p

A song?

There are basically two types of South Africans who chose to immigrate. One group when apartheid ended believed that a black government could never run a country and didn't want to be part of rebuilding of the country. The other group immigrated because they felt unsafe in the new South Africa and wanted to live in a country where there was better security because we do have a relatively high crime rate. I guarantee you that you met the former group, they would have complained a lot and been very racist and derogatory.

Yeah, I won't repeat what they said. They seemed shocked their views weren't shared.

Dirty deeds done cheap.

Don't be silly and twist my words. Because forums exist for discussion and debate I am not obliged to participate in each and every discussion. I'll be wasting my time. On a not entertaining discussion. I already stated my opinion but going into details will 1) Get me banned, and, more importantly, 2) is boring for me.

I love how people who never saw the farcical abysmal mess that was apartheid South Africa seem to think it was great and 'living' proof that black people are somehow better off under white control. 

Utter balls.

• Like 6

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.