Nelson Mandela, dead at 95

Malcador

"Kanye West said he’s gonna be the next Nelson Mandela.  Let’s start him off with 27 years in jail," one follower wrote"

:lol:

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Can't really get along with a chap that needs a team of professionals to tell him how to dress incorrectly. Sorry guys, let's not fall out xx

Ever since Nixon sweated like a stuck pig on national TV in the 1960 debate, I'm pretty sure every President has a team of consultants getting them dressed.

The point is I don't think you can tell us what's wrong with his dress code and that's why you are reluctant to tell us the reason. You don't have one :wowey:

And there is nothing wrong with admitting you are wrong, I do all the time. It can be quite liberating :biggrin:

I'm just well aware that most people don't care, that's all. No waist covering, incorrect lapels, a variety of improper ties including a four-in-hand; to be fair he does seem to be getting better as time goes on. Black tie's not exactly a uniform, but it is a code. You look daft if you do it wrong, particularly if you have a team of advisors. It's not a difficult thing to do right, so it annoys me when people can't be bothered.

Dirty deeds done cheap.

The point is I don't think you can tell us what's wrong with his dress code and that's why you are reluctant to tell us the reason. You don't have one :wowey:

And there is nothing wrong with admitting you are wrong, I do all the time. It can be quite liberating :biggrin:

I'm just well aware that most people don't care, that's all. No waist covering, incorrect lapels, a variety of improper ties including a four-in-hand; to be fair he does seem to be getting better as time goes on. Black tie's not exactly a uniform, but it is a code. You look daft if you do it wrong, particularly if you have a team of advisors. It's not a difficult thing to do right, so it annoys me when people can't be bothered.

Okay thanks for the response, I'll let Walsie comment because you guys probably know more about suit etiquette than I do :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I've never owned a dinner jacket first hand in my life! The trick is knowing the right charity shops. :)

I approve of dinner jackets because it's effectively a uniform, and any right thinking man appreciates not having to worry about what to wear.

I hadn't really understood there was any etiquette to it. You wear it. Don't wear novelty anything. Job done.

A code for evening dress sounds like the kind of thing Esquire would write alongside some bird with massive cheekbones draping herself over a table. Ghastly.

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

How about that speech Obama gave huh, that's one thing he does well (or his speech writers) It was almost embarrassing to see the Brazilian and Chinese speeches after that.

• Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

It's pretty simple stuff, make sure the tie and cummerbund/waistcoat facings match your jacket facings, don't wear a "comedy" waistcoat etc. It essentially boils down to being secure enough to dress nicely without feeling you have to make a stupid statement. It's my belief that a team of fashion consultants are probably going to be pro-statement.

• Like 1

Dirty deeds done cheap.

So is Putin going to speak? If so, will it be unintentionaly hilarious?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

It's pretty simple stuff, make sure the tie and cummerbund/waistcoat facings match your jacket facings, don't wear a "comedy" waistcoat etc. It essentially boils down to being secure enough to dress nicely without feeling you have to make a stupid statement. It's my belief that a team of fashion consultants are probably going to be pro-statement.

It could also be his wife. Overall though I'd suspect that it's because his team want him to look different from the other World leaders at a time when none remotely approach his popularity, and many Yanks feel the Pres is too chummy with foreigners.

I should reiterate that I can't express my contempt for the habit of wearing US flag pins. We all know what ****ing country you're from. Have the confidence in your actions to not need a sodding badge. You don't work in a drive-thru.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I should reiterate that I can't express my contempt for the habit of wearing US flag pins. We all know what ****ing country you're from. Have the confidence in your actions to not need a sodding badge. You don't work in a drive-thru.

I too am not a fan of the particular brand of patriotism demonstrated by America.

Edited by Kroney

Dirty deeds done cheap.

How about that speech Obama gave huh, that's one thing he does well (or his speech writers) It was almost embarrassing to see the Brazilian and Chinese speeches after that.

No he is an excellent public speaker. I hope everyone on these forums watches it :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

You British sure get set off by minute stuff.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I too am not a fan of the particular brand of patriotism demonstrated by America.

You might drop a line to your own pols to tell them about it while you are at it.

article-2179309-143A20E6000005DC-202_634

Edited by kgambit
  • Like 1

Pathetic Westerners with their tiny pins. I bet Putin wears giant Red Star on a gold chain.  Well not really - but that'd be awesome to see.

Pathetic Westerners with their tiny pins. I bet Putin wears giant Red Star on a gold chain.  Well not really - but that'd be awesome to see.

Putin wears a full size flag.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

A classic gold fob watch, with the watch face replaced by an old Russian Imperial Flag would be my guess for Putin. I think Putin could totally pull off the top hat and monocle look to go with the fob watch, too.

Wearing a lapel pin is basically the same as wearing a sports team's emblem. Bit silly, but ultimately harmless. In Obama's case it's no doubt because of his great humility (pride is, after all, a deadly sin in his muslim faith) and he does not want to presume that he's be recognised just because he has an important job. In Dave Cameron's case it's probably because he was worried that Mitt would forget which country he was in if he didn't have a constant reminder and make a series of totally avoidable faux pas.

• Like 2

chancellor-merkel-plays-gag-on-president

Seems to wear some disc on it, but I can't identify it from a brief search.

Edited by Malcador

-Elwood Blues

Meh, not like it was an overly solemn occasion despite Tutu's scoldings.

I just leave this here

1386693337-a2d3b6718e4d38db08fd139d2d494

1386696485-66b2ca8772a8dc8fe1ef8072a20ca

Explain to me what is wrong with Obama talking and joking to the Prime Minister of Denmark?

If you want to gossip about something substantive you could mention he shook Raul Castro's hand, the president of Cuba, but that is  understandable considering the circumstances and the occasion.

Edit : Oh I assume you mean Michelle's look, I believe she is trying to be serious for the service

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

Explain to me what is wrong with Obama talking and joking to the Prime Minister of Denmark?

I assume it's the taking a "selfie" thing, which was what Walsh's link a few posts above was about. That or the notion that Michelle might have been jealous.

I don't understand the "selfie" thing myself, as long as they weren't doing it in the middle of someone's eulogy speech or something. But I didn't see it, so...whatever.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts