Movies you've seen recently

LadyCrimson

I mentioned Peter O'Tool had died to someone, and they promptly said "Oh no. Dr Doolittle and 'enry 'iggins!".

I wasn't sure whether to slap my forehead, slap them, or just grit my teeth.

Do all three in quick reverse succession, brace your legs, and shout "HOI!"

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Firestarter is on as I eat lunch. Drew Barrymore is/was so wee! :)

...I loved that book back when. The movie is another matter.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Back into a little winter blues, I've loaded up Tetsuo: The Iron Man again (No, not THAT Tetsuo, and no, not THAT Iron Man). 

That movie will never cease to be amazing: It's kooky, it's aggressive, it's challenging to watch, let alone understand. Just what I needed to boot this dogged rut.

Spoilers, and *maybe* semi-NSFW.

Edited by Agiel
  • Gasp! 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

After catching some of "The Yearling" on TV the other day, I've been on a Gregory Peck kick, like The Guns of Navarone - a classic, imo. Next I'm going to watch The Purple Plain, which I don't think I've seen before.

Films of the 40's-early 60's are sometimes a little hard to sit through these days, but after a diet of constant action over dialogue/green-screen films of recent years where I often feel like the actors don't really matter much, it's nice to go back to a time when actors ... acted.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

After catching some of "The Yearling" on TV the other day, I've been on a Gregory Peck kick, like The Guns of Navarone - a classic, imo. Next I'm going to watch The Purple Plain, which I don't think I've seen before.

Films of the 40's-early 60's are sometimes a little hard to sit through these days, but after a diet of constant action over dialogue/green-screen films of recent years where I often feel like the actors don't really matter much, it's nice to go back to a time when actors ... acted.

What is kind of funny with the Guns of Navarone, is that David Niven actually spent time with the Commando groups during the war, and Quayle was in the SOE doing crazy stuff with the Albanian partisans. One of those interesting quirks of casting where the actors really did have some experience....

On that slightly related note, I also find it amusing that one of the few times Christopher Lee has willingly made any practical mention of his time with the SOE was during an argument with Peter Jackson on the LOTR set - When Wormtongue gets stabbed and falls off the tower, Lee didn't like the way it was being handled and snapped out something along the lines of "That is not what someone sounds or looks like when you stab them in the back and throw them off a tall building. Do you know what it's like? I do!"

As to hard to sit through.. Hm, I don't know about that.  Frankly I have a soft spot for a lot of the classics. The likes of Cary Grant, David Niven, Peter O'Toole, Audrey Hepburn,  they covered a nice range of screwball comedies, light hearted heist movies, and some thrilling action moments.

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I'm reminded of the dentistry scene from the Marathon Man, supposedly a young Dustin Hoffman was telling Laurence Olivier how he has not slept for three days to simulate the mental and physical exhaustion his character was going through. Mr Olivier's response was rather hilarious, "My dear boy, why not try acting!"

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

"I mentioned Peter O'Tool had died to someone, and they promptly said "Oh no. Dr Doolittle and 'enry 'iggins!".

I wasn't sure whether to slap my forehead, slap them, or just grit my teeth."

Why is it so important for someone to know every 'famous' person to the point that you would physically assault them or find it morally and personally reprehsnible they don't know who the guy is? LMAO L A M E

Peter O'Toole was pretty cool actor.

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

As to hard to sit through.. Hm, I don't know about that.

I mostly mean the oft more stageplay-like style of filming and acting back then is hard for me to settle into. If I've never seen the movie before, it usually takes me 15-20 minutes before I can concentrate on it enough to really get "into" it and/or I'll occasionally rewind because I feel like I was watching the screen yet not watching, if that makes sense. Restless mind I suppose. Gets worse as the years go by. Happens with modern films occasionally too, if they have deliberate slow pacing, but a lot more frequently with 40's/50's films.

Twin Peaks was great the first season. Kinda fell flat after that.

Watched that Fright Night remake. I didn't think I was going to like it, but the first 1/3 was actually pretty popcorn entertaining. Started to drag a bit in the middle, then when David Tennant (Dr Who) came in it became popcorn fun again. I wouldn't say I liked it more than the original film, but it was a lot better than I expected.

Twin Peaks had more than one season?!  :blink:

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Twin Peaks had more than one season?!  :blink:

Yeah...the 1st season was only 8 episodes or something like that, which is what got all the accolades. The 2nd was more of a "full" season. I don't know what DVD's do, perhaps they mash them together and it makes them seem like a single season.

Plus there was a movie. A terrible movie, that served as sort of an epilogue, or a prologue and an epilogue mushed together or something. I don't really remember.

Edit: to be fair, I'm sure to people who loved all episodes of the TV show/consider it a cult classic etc. might like the movie more than I did...  :biggrin: 

Twin Peaks never held a candle to the original weirdness that was.. The Prisoner  :shifty:

Ah, the original Matrix.

The remake with Jim Caviziel and Ian Mckellen wasn't too bad but fell short from the original.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Twin Peaks never held a candle to the original weirdness that was.. The Prisoner  :shifty:

Ah, the original Matrix.

The remake with Jim Caviziel and Ian Mckellen wasn't too bad but fell short from the original.

The remake had a lot of interesting points, but somehow, even with that cast, it just never clicked quite right.

"I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. I resign." When I retire I shall quote Number Six's monologue to my superiors, there is a certain naive brilliance to it.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

You think so, eh?

Let me tell you a little bit about a country called... Tibet.

Edited by Walsingham

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Something like three 20+ minute action sequences tied together by travelling, panoramic shots of new Zealand landscape and in-depth conversation along with laying plot points for what led up to Sauron's forces being together in LoTR...

• Like 1

Haha, is that what you think the orc army sideplot is leading towards?

Reminds me of a conversation I had with someone this week who explained that some plot-important characters were too important to die while others were surely goners. Unless Peter Jackson completely changes everything, he has never been so wrong. (See what I did there?)

Edited by TrueNeutral

I'll admit it's been a long while since I read through the Silmarillion, but that's part of what Peter Jackson had said he was doing. Adding in chunks of background information from that to flesh out the story and lay elements that turned up in the LoTR stories.