RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Rosbjerg

Never could get into Eschalon. Do you ever end up with a party or is it always just one guy running around?

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Avadon 2: The Corruption is out today.  It's available on GOG right now and, I imagine, will likely be available on Steam in 45 minutes or so.  I have a lot of respect for Jeff Vogel, but, for whatever reason, I could never get into any of his games, despite liking that kind of old school stuff.  Still, there is a stubbornness inside me that will likely compel me to get this game eventually.

You are looking at the wrong old-school game.

THIS is the game you're looking for: http://basiliskgames.com/eschalon-book-iii

It will even come with a game editor this time. I can barely wait!

You don't need to point me to Eschalon, I own both Book 1 & 2 and am a member of the Basilisk Games forums, though that forum is pretty dead so I barely visit.  Definitely thumbs up to pointing others in the game's direction, though.

Edit:  I just realized how pompous that first sentence must sound.  Apologies, it was not meant in that way.

Never could get into Eschalon. Do you ever end up with a party or is it always just one guy running around?

It's always solo.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

EA lost $273 million last quarter

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/435897/ea-posts-273m-loss-for-the-quarter/

I for one, hope to see them bankrupt.

Geeeeeez JFSOCC I've never known you to be so vindictive :unsure:

If EA goes under this would effect Bioware and why would any lover of RPG want something to negatively impact the company that has brought us some of the greatest RPG of all time ?

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

If EA goes under this would effect Bioware and why would any lover of RPG want something to negatively impact the company that has brought us some of the greatest RPG of all time ?

I couldn't care less about Bioware as a brand. But Alan works there and he is a nice chap. Would be a shame if he lost his job.

• Like 2

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

During the Town Hall (which I just watched) there was a brief breakdown from the CFO in terms of how GAAP and non-GAAP works.  Non-GAAP is pretty much "the actual cashflow for the quarter."  But they are accounted for differently (via GAAP), which means that the revenue/losses for particular products end up getting split across the lifetime of the product (for a game like FIFA, roughly 12 months).

In terms of non-GAAP Net Income, EA was in the black by $105 million.

You can feel that they just put on a show for the employees, but the executive team has been pretty enthusiastic with the Q2 performance.

This is probably why (as linked in the article) Andrew Wilson "was nevertheless positive about the results."

Edited by alanschu
  • Like 1

That's not happening anytime soon. As for publishers I'd like to just disappear - Ubisoft is mine :lol:

Not before they release Beyond Good and Evil 2, after that, I don't much care what happens to them.

(Though Watch Dogs is shaping up to look pretty impressive)

But tell me, aside from sports games, which I could not care less about, what was the last qualitatively good game EA released?

So 2025 then?  :shifty:

In the highly unlikely event that EA were to bite the dust, BioWare would be fine.  The other publishers would get into a bidding war to buy them.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Because they are the cancer that is killing RPG genre.

Hooray for the melodrama   :wowey:

• Like 1

It's only the name, those people don't work there anymore. Why wouldn't anyone want to see Dragon's Feces II creators look for a new job?

Edited by Bester
  • Like 1
IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

I don't really get this negative perspective around Bioware and its probably due the fact I enjoy there games.

But more importantly I fail to understand why people would feel they are killing the RPG genre. There are many alternatives to Bioware RPG and also the opportunity for KS projects to create new RPG worlds. So its win win, if you don't like Bioware games you can play something else :)

• Like 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

It's only the name, those people don't work there anymore. Why wouldn't anyone want to see Dragon's Feces II creators look for a new job?

I can think of many reasons I don't want Bioware to close its doors. What about  the fact that DA:I is looking to be an excellent and entertaining game?

John Milton 

Any time people are throwing around wishes for bankruptcy and using cancer as a metaphor, you can probably bet they are overreacting.  When the subject is video games, it's even more ludicrous.  

:biggrin: Yeah I agree

John Milton 

I found out very recently that Reality Pump are working on a Assassin's Creed 4 Risen 2 killer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFkH5_Che1M

Holy smokes, this somehow looks even worse than Two Worlds 2 (but at least the title isn't as terrible).  Considering how awful both Two Worlds and Two Worlds 2 were, that's quite the achievement.  Nothing says fun like "cinematic", presumable QTE-based, combat!  What are the chances that you're out to save your sister in this one?  50%?  75%?  90%?

Two Worlds fully patched on PC is a damn fun open-world game. Two Worlds 2 is better in some aspects than the first, and worse in others.

Not really interested in this Raven's Cry thingie, but it looks better than Risen 2. It will at least be an actual open world pirate game.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Alas, poor EA

I knew them NKKK, a company of infinite jest?

Friends, Obsidianites, internauts, lend me your eyes; I come to bury EA, not to praise them. The evil that companies do lives after them, the good is oft interred with their shares. So let it be with EA. The noble RPGCodex hath told EA was decline, if was so 'tis a grevious fault, and grievous hath EA answered for it. Here under leave of 4chan and the rest- for they are honourable men- come I to speak at EA's funeral. He was my friend, faithful and just to me: But GabeN says he was ambitious; And GabeN is an honourable man. I hath brought many games home whose cost did the EA coffers fill: in this did in EA seem ambitious? When that the poor have cried, EA hath wept: ambition should be made of sterner stuff: yet reddit says he was ambitious; And reddit is an honourable man. I speak not to disprove what RPS spoke, but here I am to speak what I do know. You all did love him once, not without cause: what cause withholds you then, to mourn for them? Oh judgement, thou art fled to ActivisionBlizzard, and men have lost their reason. Bear with me; my heart is in the coffin there with EA, and I must pause till it come back to me.

• Like 11

Alas, poor EA

I knew them NKKK, a company of infinite jest?

Friends, Obsidianites, internauts, lend me your eyes; I come to bury EA, not to praise them. The evil that companies do lives after them, the good is oft interred with their shares. So let it be with EA. The noble RPGCodex hath told EA was decline, if was so 'tis a grevious fault, and grievous hath EA answered for it. Here under leave of 4chan and the rest- for they are honourable men- come I to speak at EA's funeral. He was my friend, faithful and just to me: But GabeN says he was ambitious; And GabeN is an honourable man. I hath brought many games home whose cost did the EA coffers fill: in this did in EA seem ambitious? When that the poor have cried, EA hath wept: ambition should be made of sterner stuff: yet reddit says he was ambitious; And reddit is an honourable man. I speak not to disprove what RPS spoke, but here I am to speak what I do know. You all did love him once, not without cause: what cause withholds you then, to mourn for them? Oh judgement, thou art fled to ActivisionBlizzard, and men have lost their reason. Bear with me; my heart is in the coffin there with EA, and I must pause till it come back to me.

marc-antony-rome.jpg

Edited by NKKKK
  • Like 1

Ka-ka-ka-ka-Cocaine!

Z9SVsCY.gif

Daily Reminder that there were crappy RPGs  before EA and are likely to be after EA.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Since EA has been around since 1982, you are referring to... Akalabeth?

Is it bad?

It depends on what context you put it in.  By today's standards it's very basic, at the time it came out it was sort of gorundbreaking, being one of the first games in the genre other than roguelikes.  It's the precursor to the Ultima series.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Any time people are throwing around wishes for bankruptcy and using cancer as a metaphor, you can probably bet they are overreacting.  When the subject is video games, it's even more ludicrous.  

Bioware = Hitler.

He played the Hitler card. With this, all of Hurl's arguments are invalid. And all of Bester's. And any other post in the last three pages, even ones without an argument in them.

---

Clockwork Empires video snippet released

• Like 2