What you did today

Rosbjerg

Good day's work, so spontaneously invented a ****tail I'm goin to christen a

Nuka Noir

In highball glass, put double measure pure schnapps, one measure Rose's lime cordial, top up to half full with ice, add ice cold coca cola to taste, float on the surface a half measure of creme de mure.

Very refreshing, without being too candified.

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I prefer to drink my liquor straight. I suppose this is due from generally not liking the ****tails I have tried.

Today it's raining quite a bit and I find myself alternating from wanting to sleep to wanting to piss.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Trying to get these Sanford Onyx pens to embed themselves in the ceiling tiles at work. Sadly, they don't fly quite well.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Stuff has been weird lately. 

Some of ya'll might recall the history of reproductive unpleasantness I've mentioned here before.  Short story is that, back in 2011, my wife's first pregnancy ended badly about 6 months in.  Then there were 2 early miscarriages over the course of the following year.  We had every kind of testing they know how to do, and the doctors found no reason to suggest that the miscarriages were anything other than bad luck (10-20% of pregnancies end in miscarriage within the first month or two-- 2 in a row is unlikely, but not necessarily a sign of bigger problems).  The first loss was puzzling, but similar future results might be prevented by administering a blood thinner. 

So, much fun was had on our trip to Maine back in June, and we find ourselves expecting again.  And it's going well, 16 weeks in.  We're almost to the point where things started to go south the first time around, and all the signs so far are quite positive.  (And it is oddly reassuring to me that she is already more visibly pregnant than she ever got 2 years ago.)  She had an ultrasound earlier this week, and they were able to tell that it's a boy.  (The one we lost was also a boy.)  We have, of course, tried to be as emotionally guarded about all this as we can.  Although I'm starting to worry a little that I'm letting myself get a bit too hopeful for my own good. 

The other complication, though, is that my wife's older (and only) sister was also pregnant, until rather recently.  Due to complications not-entirely-dissimilar to the ones we had 2 years ago, she had an emergency c-section about 2.5 months before her due date.  My new niece weighed 500 grams at birth.  She's a month old now, living in the hospital's neonatal intensive care unit.  And she's had some scares, requiring surgical procedures to address issues with getting her digestive system up and running.  She's still going, but these things can change at the drop of a hat. 

The aggregate of all this is a very confusing and draining emotional ****tail of hope, fear, and powerlessness. 

So, yeah, stuff has been weird. 

Went to the shooting range to test some handloads for my .300 Remington Ultra Magnum, got some decent groups at 100 meters. 5 shots each, stout loads, used the 240 grain Sierra Matchking bullet.

Shots are a little high because my scope dope is for 200m.

rum2_zpsf14aa165.jpg ..rum3_zps888be439.jpg

rum1_zps56a83591.jpg

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 1

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

My thoughts with you, Enoch. For what it's worth. Your marriage must be very loving to have the resilience you describe.

• Like 1

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Appreciate the thoughts, all.  Although it does make me feel a bit abashed-- I wasn't trying to trawl for sympathy or anything.  It's just sometimes useful to write these kinds of things out, even if for an anonymous audience. 

And, yes, the construction/installation stage of the kitchen project is finished.  The furnishing/decorating stage is not.  And probably won't be anytime soon-- we're notoriously reluctant to make decisions on stuff like furniture, curtains, decor, etc.  The whole house is rather sparse in that regard, because neither of us enjoys doing that kind of thing. 

• Like 2

Enoch, I'm not sure whether to be excited or worried for you, but I hope for the best for your family!    

I spent about a week in the NICU with my son, and I was in there with parents that had been there for months.  It was difficult, but the day that kiddo gets to come home is huge.  There are also super cautious in those NICU wards and they do an amazing job.

Edited by Hurlshot

Although it does make me feel a bit abashed

Embarrassed by overt displays of emotion? We'll make an Englishman of you, yet! ;)

• Like 5

-Elwood Blues

Drank some whiskey, changed my avi, and stared blankly at my monitor for an hour trying to decide what to play.

Edited by KaineParker

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Here's wishing all goes well for you and your wife, Enoch. :)

Drank some whiskey

That reminds me...

Sometimes I wish I liked booze.

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

There are no drinks that you like LC?

I will admit that I started off on fruity ****tails before I actually started enjoying the flavor of hard liquor and beer. I still enjoy a mai tai or mango margarita from time to time but now I have no problem with straight bourbon or scotch, something I couldn't imagine even 5 years ago.

Free games updated 3/4/21

I will admit that I started off on fruity ****tails before I actually started enjoying the flavor of hard liquor and beer. I still enjoy a mai tai or mango margarita from time to time but now I have no problem with straight bourbon or scotch, something I couldn't imagine even 5 years ago.

I enjoy wine and ale on the same basis as I enjoy food: flavour and company.

-Elwood Blues

I enjoy wine and ale on the same basis as I enjoy food: flavour and company.

I am a simple person and I have to admit I drink alcohol for the effect :dancing:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela