What are you playing now?

Gorth

red dead redemption is a game you might really enjoy  (this aimed at ladycrimson)

Red Dead is, like I mentioned before, Anachronisms: The Game. It's fun, but it's still got the staple Rockstar sense of self-importance and the delusion that they're producing a cinematic production on the level of a Sergio Leone Western. It's pretty sparse, though, it's not a crime game like GTA if you stick to the story. Of course, you're always free to hogtie a nun and drop her on the train tracks. And then wait 20 minutes for the train to finally show up to fulfill your moustache-twirling fantasies. It still suffers from myriad bugs, glitches and freezes, though. I feel like an open world Western game could be phenomenal if executed more properly.

I think what is needed is a real western rpg and not a rockstar open world western.

Really, Red Dead Redemption is good. But I could never finish it, because at some point I had the same (sometimes more, sometimes less) annoying GTA feeling to me. The game could be so much more than what it is.

Also I didn't liked that the "huge open world" isn't that huge actually. The gameworld feels pretty crowded to me, especially the mexico part, where you are riding through long corridor mountain stuff all the time (well, at least as far as I was motivated to play the game).

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Heh  the only(or am i wrong?)  game that Rockstar didn't bring to PC. :(

I really liked Midnight Club II on PC. Of course the sequels are console-only so I had to miss out on.

As for better combat, people said that to me (here too) about Sleeping Dogs. And Sleeping Dogs combat is absolutely infuriating and getting on my nerves within just a few missions, give me a gun already! So, yeah.

Also, question, does V continue on on the 'realistic driving' fad they went on with IV? It was such a letdown, suddenly chases and just driving around just wasn't fun anymore, and then what the hell is a GTA good for?

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Was playing D3 when another DH in the party randomly offered me a emerald cut that adds +110% crit damage to replace the +80% crit damage emerald I was using. That doesn't sound like a big deal but in the PC version, and Im going to use the technical term here, it takes a metric crapton of emeralds, tomes and gold to make the gem he gave me. Thought that was super nice and it increased my dps a whopping 16k, pushing my total to 520k.

If GTA (or a lot of games, actually) was set in ancient Rome, with chariots instead of cars or something like that, then maybe.

Coming soon, Grandis Furtum Currus!

(quick, someone suggest this to Rockstar!)

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

As for better combat, people said that to me (here too) about Sleeping Dogs. And Sleeping Dogs combat is absolutely infuriating and getting on my nerves within just a few missions, give me a gun already! So, yeah.

Don't expect the guns to change anything. 90% of the time it's hand-to-hand and you don't even get to keep the guns permanently.

I love the combat in SD personally.

Don't expect the guns to change anything. 90% of the time it's hand-to-hand and you don't even get to keep the guns permanently.

I love the combat in SD personally.

Yeah.  You do get guns eventually, but Sleeping Dogs is a love letter to Hong Kong cinema, hence it's highly geared toward martial arts combat.  Luckily, I found the combat to be quite satisfying.  Sure, you can beat everybody up with 2 buttons, but it's a lot more fun to pull off different moves and combos and beat them up in style.  Also, shoving a guy's face into a deep fryer will never get old.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

red dead redemption is a game you might really enjoy  (this aimed at ladycrimson)

Red Dead is, like I mentioned before, Anachronisms: The Game. It's fun, but it's still got the staple Rockstar sense of self-importance and the delusion that they're producing a cinematic production on the level of a Sergio Leone Western. It's pretty sparse, though, it's not a crime game like GTA if you stick to the story. Of course, you're always free to hogtie a nun and drop her on the train tracks. And then wait 20 minutes for the train to finally show up to fulfill your moustache-twirling fantasies. It still suffers from myriad bugs, glitches and freezes, though. I feel like an open world Western game could be phenomenal if executed more properly.

I think what is needed is a real western rpg and not a rockstar open world western.

Really, Red Dead Redemption is good. But I could never finish it, because at some point I had the same (sometimes more, sometimes less) annoying GTA feeling to me. The game could be so much more than what it is.

Also I didn't liked that the "huge open world" isn't that huge actually. The gameworld feels pretty crowded to me, especially the mexico part, where you are riding through long corridor mountain stuff all the time (well, at least as far as I was motivated to play the game).

Mexico crowded? I guess our definition of that couldn't be further apart.  And i don't really understand your troubles with finishing games, so i pity you somewhat since RDR felt pretty short to me, if i just did the story missions. And the shortcomings weren't that apparent when i did that.

Edited by Majek

1.13 killed off Ja2.

And Sleeping Dogs combat is absolutely infuriating and getting on my nerves within just a few missions, give me a gun already!

whoa, you don't like the combat in sleeping dogs?  I thought it was awesome, sooo much fun.  I pretty much played that game for the martial arts fighting only.  Oh well, not everyone likes the same stuff

edit:  currently playing Final Fantasy 14.  I never played world of warcraft, but i played guild wars, and so far this game is not quite as much fun as guild wars was when it first released.  The combat is pretty great though, and the graphics are very pretty.  No storyline to speak of so far, but some of the side quests have little story bits that are nice (if you take the time to actually read everything, otherwise it's just "go here and kill ______")

i can imagine having fun with the game for at least a month or two though, and that's a lot more than i can say for most games i've played lately

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I had to keep switching control schemes between mouse and gamepad depending on what a given mission wanted you to do. It was a little jarring for an open-world game in that there were clear distinctions for when the game wanted you to punch stuff and when it wanted you to shoot stuff. But yeah, I found it servicable, and generally more fun than SR3, not least because the enemies were at least finite. (Maybe I was doing it wrong, but whenever I fought in SR3, it was just endless spawning waves of enemies arriving in endless waves of cars)

I got thoroughly sick of the "grab enemy by the leg and elbow them in the knee" counter animation though. :p

EDIT: Still playing FONV, but my violent nutter run came to a pretty rapid end, decided to call it a day on that character after finishing the hunt for Benny (the best part of the game anyway) when I turned the Tops into a fiery inferno, burning everyone in that place (including the restaurant and courtyard, which until now I had no idea existed).

As much as I liked the idea of properly RPing such a character, the main reason for playing was to play all four DLC (all totally new to me). And high level DLC means quests which means a reasonable character, so I started over as a pretty boring neutral guy, for what I expect will be a fairly normal completionist run.

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

playing sleeping dogs without a gamepad sounds.... unnecessarily difficult

• Like 1

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I went with KB+M exclusively for the first few hours, it was mostly okay, except it was hard to tell which key to hit during QTEs (arrgh), especially when fighting the generic grappler dudes. Switched to gamepad after that, but after failing a number of missions involving aiming, I ended up having to go back to the mouse now and then (fortunately not *too* often).

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I went with KB+M exclusively for the first few hours, it was mostly okay, except it was hard to tell which key to hit during QTEs (arrgh), especially when fighting the generic grappler dudes. Switched to gamepad after that, but after failing a number of missions involving aiming, I ended up having to go back to the mouse now and then (fortunately not *too* often).

I used a 360 pad for everything except shooting.  As soon as a firefight would break out (which didn't happen very often), I would drop the controller and use m&kb.  The nice thing is that the game would recognize the switch and even change on-screen prompts accordingly.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Sameish, but sometimes I wouldn't bother going back to the gamepad (especially if it had turned auto-off) unless there was a tricky bit. Actually biggest improvement the gamepad makes is just for driving, fighting with the keyboard full time is perfectly servicable.

Incidentally, I checked out my total playtime on Steam: 13.9 hours for SD, 13.8 hours for SR3, heh. I guess I have a pretty specific threshold for when I get bored of this type of game.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

playing sleeping dogs without a gamepad sounds.... unnecessarily difficult

Yeah, the combat in Sleeping Dogs is the single biggest reason I liked it better than the GTA games.  If GTA had SD's combat, I'd actually finish the games.

Yeah the combat in SD rocked but I can understand someone not being used to it and wanting to use a gun. We are so conditioned to "shooting our way to victory" its weird when guns are not the primary combat option in games like this :) To be honest I found the gun combat in SD clunky and was glad when I could use my fists to beat respect into my various enemies

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Finished 400 days (Walking Dead dlc).. They did a good job on this one and it's a good fit with the game in general. I hope they make more like this in the future.

I bought the series on Steam 2 weeks ago, I got it cheap...$10 I think?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'm bored ****less and can't think of anything to play. Suggestions?

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I'm doing a speed run for my final play through with my Demon Hunter in Diablo III.  I'm playing Inferno mode and just doing the main quest stuff without any real exploration, hoping to finish off the remaining achievements that I haven't unlocked yet.  I'm at the halfway point, just starting Act III.

One of the achievements is equipping my character with all level 60 equipment in all slots.  It's bugging me because I just can't seem to find a level 60 amulet.  Every other spot is level 60 except for that one, and none of the merchants sell any level 60 amulets, either.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)