RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

LadyCrimson

It will happen eventually, soon at the rate they're going.  AAA games can't keep going like this, the budgets are getting so out of hand that they're reaching the point where it will become straight up impossible to make money off these games, even if they sell 10 or even 15 million copies.  The video game version of the 2008 stock market crash is coming, and honestly, I say let it come.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Hm, GTA's budget seems like it might be rather higher than other AAA games - I can see the music licensing costing a chunk, for example. But who knows if it'll crash, people keep on buying them and the pool of players won't shrink that much.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Hm, GTA's budget seems like it might be rather higher than other AAA games - I can see the music licensing costing a chunk, for example. But who knows if it'll crash, people keep on buying them and the pool of players won't shrink that much.

Yeah, but it's getting to the point where they have to sell about 7 million copies just to break even.  Less than a hundred games have ever sold 7 million or more copies.  That's in the entire history of video games.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Sony revealed PS Vita TV that's plugged into your TV, has almost all the functions of your usual Vita (except touch screen control), and costs $99

I'd honestly get one, but my monitor is already shared by my PC and PS3. ;(

I'd have to get a new monitor to use VitaTV without a hassle and at that point I might as well get a proper handheld version

Edited by Nordicus

Yeah, but it's getting to the point where they have to sell about 7 million copies just to break even.  Less than a hundred games have ever sold 7 million or more copies.  That's in the entire history of video games.

As far as I heard GTA 5 made it's money back from preorders.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

According to wikipedia, GTA IV has sold more than 25 million copies, so having a budget that requires 7 million to turn a profit isn't that big of a stretch.

On the other hand, if they "only" needed to sell 7 million copies Rockstar would get $37 for each copy sold. I suspect they get less than that per copy, so the required number could be a bit higher.

As far as I heard GTA 5 made it's money back from preorders.

Oh, I'm sure GTA 5 will do fine.  There are going to be success stories even with these ridiculously bloated budgets, and spectacular success stories, which is what's going to keep driving these budgets up.  The problem is that as the budgets keep going up the percentage of failures is going to increase and the losses these failures incur will continue to increase too.  There is only so much money to be made per year by the video game industry as a whole, because there is only so much money people are able to spend.  As budgets go higher and higher the amount of money necessary for the game to be profitable, or just break even, increases, but the amount of money to be made out there doesn't, or not at nearly the same pace as the rising budgets.  You'll always have your massive success stories here and there which will entice publishers to keep funding these giant bloated productions, because when they pay off, they pay off big time, but the failures will become more and more frequent and more and more spectacular, to the point where the occasional massive success story will not be able to offset the slew of spectacular failures.

Or maybe I'm overthinking this.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Fulfill your dream of being an SCV.

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Have to keep my eye on that, might end up being interesting. Though hopefully building stuff is more complicated than how it looks on that video, going from tile to tile with mouse button down is as exciting as leveling out terrain in Minecraft, and that should be considered as a form of torture.

Really interesting adventure game from Ubisoft. A hyperlink story taking place during World War I/The Great War.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/09/10/impressions-valiant-hearts/

I nominally abhor point-and-click adventure games (the comically obtuse puzzles of The Longest Journey forever turned me off from the genre ever since), but this has seriously piqued my interest (though it helps from the preview that the goal of the designers is to make actual real-life "situations" to solve rather than improbably contrived adventure game puzzles).

I watched the trailer, and I actually cried a tear from that.

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

The soundtrack seems nice, at least. The line about giving one's son's life is pretty funny.

Edited by Malcador

The line about giving one's son's life is pretty funny.

Oh my god, the delivering of that line almost broke my jaw. :lol:

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."