What you did today

Tale

*grumblegrumble*

"So you will cover travel expenses?"

"Yes, up to this amound. We could do the booking for you, but then our agency will pick the cheapest flight on their list which is very likely to not be the most convenient. I would strongly urge you to book yourself and just hand us your reciept and boarding pass during the event so we can reinburce you. As a matter of fact there is this extremly convenient and cheap flight you could take that the colleagues in charge of booking are not flexible enough to provide as an option. But especially as you will be accompanied by your wife, for whom we cannot book anyway, but who I assume you wish to be on the same flight with, I can only urge you to book yourself."

"Hmm... can I trust you to truly reinburse me?"

"Erm.. yes?"

• Like 2

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

WorkWorkWorkWorkWorkWorkWorkWorkWorkWorkWorkWorkWorkWorkWorkWorkWorkWork

WorkWorkWorkWorkWorkWorkWORKWORKWORKWORKWORKWKQODNDBNJSWOIWAAAAAHRGH&(%&%/&&()!! 

Everyone is away holidaying so I'm currently doing the work of three people at once. I'm only doing it for the money, thats what I've been repeating in my brain all day long like a broken record. 

I think you should go full Brando style Colonel Kurtz.

If in doubt, why not formally request advice from HR on the matter?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Been pondering Steam Trading Card maths:

A game that is buy to play comes with a number of card drops usually equal to 50% (rounding up) of the total cards in the collection. Of coure these are likely to include doubles or triples.

Upon recieveing all drops (one drop per 20-30 mins game time), you become eligible to a 3 card booster pack for that game.

A number of booster packs are made available each time a customer completes a badge. The packs become distributed among a random number of other customers eligible for packs. Chances to be one of these customers increases with steam level (lvl 50 has twice the chance of a level 10) and by being eligible for boosters in more games (as each game has a sepparate chance). The booster pack can of course also include doubles and triples.

A game that is free to play has no card drops by itself. Instead one drop is recieved per $9 spend in the game's item shop.

Cards can be sold between gamers in the community market place.

10% (rounding to the nearest cent) of the final price go to the developer.

5% (rounding to the nearest cent) of the final price go to Steam i.e Valve.

Team Fortress 2 trading card prices have stabilized at the low price of $0,17. At this price they may still sell, but a lot of them are available at it.

Any card under that price will sell almost imediatly.

At that price 1 cent goes to the Developer (Valve) and 1 cent goes to Steam (Valve).

A card bought at $0,14 can be resold at $0,16 without the buyer/re-seller incuring a loss, but creating a win for Valve of $0,04 from the two transactions.

A card resold at a price $0,03 above the purchase price will net the reseller a profit of $0,01 and Valve the aforementioned net profit of $0,04.

For the card to have been issued, Valve had already registered a profit of $9 or the player recieved a booster pack for already having been issued cards for the game (for having spend the $9).

Someone sold a scout card for $0,11 which I bought and resold for $0,16. This means: Valve recieved $9 and issued the card. The player didn't want it and sold it, recieving $0,09 and earning back 0,01% of their expenses. Valve made an additional $0,02. I then sold it, earning $0,03 while Valve earned another $0,02.

Thus $9 spend by gamer 1 result in an ingame purchase for gamer 1 with a 0,01% discount to a price of $8,91, an income of $0,03 for gamer 2 (me), an expense of $0,16 for gamer 3 and an income of $9,04 for Valve.

No, there is no point to this post.

By just selling my spares I made about $4,5. A bit over half of which was spend on finishing trading card collections for the hell of it.

Edited by melkathi
  • Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Crap. I missed a guns & ammo discussion. My superpowers are failing me :(

Anyhow! There's an old castle here where I live, that's open for guided tours. The last room in the tour is the castle armoury. It's basically two big rooms joined together, filled with historical weapons, ranging from American indian bows up to tiny cannons (standing on tiny wheels on the floor).

In between are the most amazing rifles and handguns you will find. The place is absolutely packed with weapons, hundreds of them. The weapon that impressed me the most was the 12-barrel musket. It had only been fired once because the man who fired it died from the recoil: the stupid gun fires all twelve barrels at once! But it looks amazing.

I wanted to take pics, but you're not allowed to bring a camera in there. Frustrating.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Couldn't even take the cellphone and sneak some shots/video? Did they confiscate such before the tour? Anyway, sounds like an interesting place and one I'd love to visit.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Mom had to go into the doctors today, now they're insisting she have an eyecheckup or she might have to lose her driving license. Thats going to hammer one of her methods of independence if it gets worse.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Its 2:30 AM here and I just came back from a long nightly walk. Thankfully I live in a very rural part of my country where there is almost no light pollution from artificial light sources, its also a moonless and crystal clear night.
No engine sounds, no cars, no people, no birds, just the sound of a gentle breeze in the blackened treetops and the bright stars and milky way above me. Almost surreal.

Stunningly beautiful.

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

100mm of rain have crippled my city, power died in my office building and other parts of town. Major road ways are flooded too.

Impressive really

dZZhVFF.jpg

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Time to get a boat? ;)

That's some serious rain...must have happened fairly quickly too, with everyone getting stuck in the flooding like that. Were you able to get home from the office?

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

You couldn't just say 10 cm?

Not as impressive, also what happened to the drainage? 

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Today I worked all day. Drinking a beer and thinking of playing videogames or watching TV.

Not as impressive, also what happened to the drainage?

Canada spent all of their money on Maple Syrup and can't afford to install drainage.

Edited by KaineParker

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I could, but I didn't so deal with it if you can. I got out fine, was kind of neat to watch the rain get whipped around with the wind, as expected a streetcar broke down on the line so I was stuck for a bit. Lucky though, I could have been stuck in an elevator or a subway like some people were for hours. I think they've got them all now, though.

As for drainage, I have no idea what is going on, it is about triple the last daily record and is akin to a month's worth of rain in a few hours - so it may just be rate of source exceeds rate of sink. Then again the infrastructure in this city is overloaded and shoddy in places, so that also might contribute.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Feeling the urge to drink some Quanta Cola

Now all I need to do is find some at the local supermarket...

That's an awesome little video :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

'twas a great game as well. Not perfect. No hybrid game ever seems to be.  But a great attempt at doing something slightly experimental. And with Bowie in it ;)

The "Quanta Cola" bit made me think of this; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radithor :D

Ahh, quackery.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

The "Quanta Cola" bit made me think of this; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radithor :D

Ahh, quackery.

That is disturbing.

You kinda expect to see that in a Fallout game...

Anyway:

"Do you feel sad and lonely? Like life is just not worth living anymore? Drink Quanta Cola!"

Trying to focus on some Gantt Chart practice and poking around on some UML.

A little fuzzy headed and headachey for some reason, not sure if that's just the heat.

Also sorting some of the things out with my sister moving home and buying her first place.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

So after the power outage, we're trying to turn things back on - servers and such. Generally this is fate's response.

735.gif

• Like 2

Just ate some canned food until I....

.....anyone here interested in a truckload of fresh canned food? I give it away for free! 

;(

made_zps0deed5a2.jpg

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Meh, maggots are pure protein. I kid, I probably would have vomited into the can.

Speaking of unholy vomit, something got into my poor dog yesterday. I get home from work to see her suspiciously hiding behind the dining room table. This is a dead give away that she has a guilty conscience over something she did. Then I notice a huge puddle of vomit in the middle of the kitchen. Then I see more in the living room. Then more on the middle landing of the stairs where she like to lay. Then more at the top. Then more in my bedroom. And finally finishing up in the master bathroom. I felt so bad for her I couldn't even get mad about picking it all up.

• Like 2