Obsidian social dynamics question

Walsingham

I was just wondering if the introduction of the 'like' button had met an observable:

1) Rise in overall posting

2) An individual rise in posting among some users

3) A change in tempo of posting (i.e. pulses)

Idle interest for me, but the results could be interesting in general social scientific terms. I'm thinking there would be a rise amongst certain users, with likes functioning as rewards. 

• Like 3

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

There is a need for a dislike button, the hate must flow.

• Like 6

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

So can I spend likes to buy hats and stuff in Project Eternity?

No, but the person with the most likes gets a special in-game "Most Liked" Sash to wear.*

*Offer void where prohibited.  Sash may appear invisible on some monitors.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

It makes me feel guilty because I always forget to like good posts :(

I just assume that everyone has that same mindset when reading my posts.  Because every single one of my posts deserve multiple likes.

• Like 3

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I've always gone with the feeling that things like the Like button overall decreases true social back and forth, because as time goes on, more and more people just hit the Like button vs. actually responding to the post with something that may inspire more responses/conversations.

• Like 5
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Actually that was my fallback theory, LC. :)

• Like 2

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I find the "like" button to be an amenable substitute for the overwhelming urge to post "me too!" or "lol" to be honest.

• Like 6

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I enjoy the "like" button, I do have to restrain myself from using it too much as I enjoy many comments. I also "like" a post if it makes me laugh

Oh and really humorous posts I'll post a :biggrin:  or a :grin:

Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I find the "like" button to be an amenable substitute for the overwhelming urge to post "me too!" or "lol" to be honest.

I agree.

• Like 2

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

:lol:
  • Like 3
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

:lol:

Double :lol:

• Like 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I've always gone with the feeling that things like the Like button overall decreases true social back and forth, because as time goes on, more and more people just hit the Like button vs. actually responding to the post with something that may inspire more responses/conversations.

You have no idea how tempted I was to simply like your post and not reply at all.

• Like 2

I just raid thread after thread and like all the posts I well, like. I think I like stuff more than I post. Generally I do this on the PE forums as encouragement for ideas. Did you guys know you can run out of likes to hand out? It's happened to me several times.

• Like 2

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Vanity is creating alt accounts to give yourself likes.

I probably fall somewhere in between LC and Amentep. Sometimes I feel guilty for not reciprocating likes, sometimes I do it if I genuinely like a post, sometimes just as a note, that I read a post and enjoyed the answer, but didn't know how to continue a line of discussion. As for my own posting, quantity, style etc. I don't think I've moved one inch in any direction. Some old dogs can't be arsed to learn new tricks.

Isn't that 'Like' thing a Facebook contraption anyway? :unsure:

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I don't use 'likes' personally. I tend to think that if you like a post you reply- and there's a difference between liking something and finding it worthwhile. Someone can argue a point that you strenuously disagree with well and that certainly makes it worthwhile even if you can't really like it, because that implies agreement. If I think something posted is worthless or I just don't care enough/ have nothing worthwhile to add then I don't reply, if I care enough or think something is worthwhile then I do (with limitations, I do not read a lot of threads at all).

Only times I've really been tempted to 'like' something is humourous stuff like the oh so awesome King Spider in the arachnophobia thread.

I am kind of curious about what kinds of posts and threads people 'like' most, and whether it would coincide with my preconceived notions.

• Like 1

I tend to go for designers' profiles, first, and do search for their recent posts (BTW, why is there no developer search yet?).  If you don't frequent the boards, it's the easiest way to avoid repeated discussions while I am most likely to miss some potentially interesting posts.  As a result, I end up with just "liking" some key posts by the designers even when I don't wholeheartedly agree with them.  So, yes, guess I regard them as worthwhile rather than really liking them.  In most cases, just "liking" suffices mainly because some people have already come up with possible discussions in many cases and even liking a post may appear rather "political" than encouraging.  Especially after I got clear view of my own standpoints, I'm not into being involved with any form of "political" disputes.  For winning or losing an argument is irrelevant especially if it doesn't serve for the game development purpose directly or indirectly (I don't visit a game board for any other motive).

• Like 1

Hang on, so we're saying we use them to indicate:

- enjoyment (laughs)

- gratitude (points well made)

- allegiance (devs)

• Like 2

-Elwood Blues

Wait for it... wait for it... enlightenment is almost there ;)

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I thought people just used them if they liked a post. Beats the old way of posting 'QFT' or some other kiss-ass type remark :p

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I hate this on facebook so much. You spend time on a quality rage and all that happens is people pressling "like" instead of commenting. It kills discussion, imo. I hate it so much.

• Like 2

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I don't like the like button, I never use it and I also really dislike the posting code. Instead of the normal way of posting I now have to switch to the pure code method to respond on the forum the way I am used to from the last 13 years I've been using internet forums and I don't have access to any of the ease of use features (bold, italic etc). This is really frustrating.

• Like 1