Dragon Age III / The Witcher 3 trailers. Impressions?

Rahelron

54 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about these games?

• They will both be great.
    • TW3 will be good/great, DA3 will not.
    • DA3 will be good/great, TW2 will not.
    • They will both suck.

Viconia is the best dusky elven lovemuffin in existence. It's not a crowded field though.

Have to admit I also liked the much maligned Leliana. Perhaps because I don't think she ever sang to me and some residual guilt for saying that she had a ludicrous accent- then meeting an actual french speaker with almost exactly the same accent. I even thought her dlc was pretty good.

• Like 2

The critiques of Leliana's accent was some of my favourite levels of fan feedback hahaha.

Because, just in case it wasn't already on record, the voice actress was an actual French speaker.

As for Viconia being overrated. You, sir, ARE WRONG and on the Internet!

• Like 2

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Always felt Viconia was overrated.

The critiques of Leliana's accent was some of my favourite levels of fan feedback hahaha.

Because, just in case it wasn't already on record, the voice actress was an actual French speaker.

As for Viconia being overrated. You, sir, ARE WRONG and on the Internet!

Alan did you Romance her in BG2 and get to understand her history and reasons for being banished? Like Isabela there were many nuances to her motives and what she wanted. I found her to be fascinating :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

"I put greater trust in CD Projekt than in Bioware, just because they haven't screwed up with their last two titles."

CDP always screw up. They make the same game repeatedly and they are both crap. They screwed up so bad they nearly went out of business.

Uh-huh. CDP screw up so much that they were able to make more expensive Witcher 3.

• Like 1

MzpydUh.gif

You guys do realise that the DA3 trailer was entirely IN-ENGINE?

That was NOT a blur pre-render.

Of course, not that snazzy new graphics will save DA3 if the story/mechnics end up sucking.

It's not a BLUR pre-render, but that doesn't mean anything. In-engine doesn't mean real time.

Yes it does actually.

And before you try to argue, it has been confirmend that it's is real-time, in-engine with game assets. What you are seeing is recorded "cutscenes".

• Like 1

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

I can't even remember where I complained about Leliana's accent, just that I did it. And then felt a bit of an idiot in retrospect. Now I'm back to complaining only about Marie Delacroix in the silly french accent stakes- and even then her worst fault is not being able to pronounce her own name properly.

Still, at least I didn't complain loudly and publicly about Chekhov's ludicrous Russian accent in the new Star Trek.

After ugly elves Dragon Age, at last, have gypsy transsexuals

mattnj.jpg

With BioWare's Revolutionary Proprietary UglyTech® Rendering Technology, We're Now Able To Produce A Staggering 75% More Ugly Characters.

* UglyTech is a trademark of BioWare, a subsidiary of Electronic Arts.  All right reserved.

What is wrong with Morrigan? She loosk good....except the lip syncing which stretches her mouth.

But of course, you have to find the worst picture so you can have something to complain about...

Also, I odnt' know if you're aware of this stunnign fact, but real people don't have perfect skin.

Edited by TrashMan
  • Like 2

After ugly elves Dragon Age, at last, have gypsy transsexuals

mattnj.jpg

With BioWare's Revolutionary Proprietary UglyTech® Rendering Technology, We're Now Able To Produce A Staggering 75% More Ugly Characters.

* UglyTech is a trademark of BioWare, a subsidiary of Electronic Arts.  All right reserved.

What is wrong with Morrigan? She loosk good....except the lip syncing which stretches her mouth.

But of course, you have to find the worst picture so you can have something to complain about...

OMG My Sides HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA

Of all this, the funniest thing is that Bioware sticks to retconning their chars again and again. Anders, Leliana, Morrigan, I bet there will be more. So far I expect DA:I to be exactly like Mass Effect 3 - a chest of lies, unfulfilled promises and retardation. Heh, it will be ironic if we will see most choices discarded, as happened in ME3.

But 2014 will be a time of a lot of Kickstarter releases a Witcher3, so another generic action herpderping slasher like DA:I would face hard times.

What retconning?

Morrigan was never confermend dead. In witch hunt she falls trough the mirror.

Same for Leliana. You defeated her (in a room with magical healing ashes), but her death was not confirmed. And don't even bring up the decapitation animation - I decapitate both Zevran and Howve, yet still managed to recruit one into my party after that and have a nice chat with the other.

Anders is a problem. Not only the personality change, but the tomeline makes no sense and given the choices he could be dead, with the templars or traveling with the commander - at the same time as he is in Kirkwall - and never even meeting Justice.

I am confident that Morrigan will be as desirable as she was in DA1 when DA3 is released

And I agree with Trashman on this one, I don't think she looks that bad in the video?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

After viewing the two trailers, I would have to say I'm looking forward to the Witcher 3 more. I really enjoyed the previous game except for the combat which felt more like rolling around and running in circles than what I'd imagine a true master swordsman with magical abilities would fight like. The blocking and parrying felt very laggy and unresponsive and I would usually just spam magical attacks to get a lot of the fighting done. But that's really my only complaint. I loved everything else about the game and I'm curious how Geralt's personal quest with Yennefer and The Great Hunt will relate to the overall political scene and war.

If CDP can give me the freedom and atmosphere of Skyrim along with a good plot and better combat, I'll be happy. 

DA3, I can't really say. The trailer didn't excite me all that much. While I thought DA2 was a good game, it was also entirely forgettable. From the trailer it looks like you'll be gathering different forces in order to stop the big bad that warps in from the Fade or something. I hope its really not that generic and there's actually an interesting story behind Flemeth, Morrigan, The Maker and the Old gods. 

Gameplay wise, I hope they bring back the wider tactical view again. The one in DA2 was awkward and it seemed like the 'improved' something that was already good. I would even prefer they implement something like SWTOR, where the player can determine how much the camera pulls back and up. However the DA1 camera was perfectly fine imo. 

There are some aspects of of DA2 combat that I liked, such as the various cross class combos and the various options for tactical control. I didn't like the weightless feel of combat, PC parties and enemy parties having totally different skills, and especially HP bloat on certain enemies, the latter two making combat repetitive and dull. 

Please make the overall world feel believable. Kirkwall was really the worst. I would murder people in the Chantry building on a regular basis (why did so many of your enemies want to meet in the Chantry?), the city didn't change at all during the 10 year period, and of course all the reused areas and ugly low res NPCs standing still, doing nothing. Make me want to invest emotionally in the world please. 

Hmm, finally got around to see the videos. TW3? Major disappointment. Focus on bloom, soil erosion, twitch combat, slow-mo, kill cam and what have you. Surprised they didn't praise their blasted QTE's and minigames as unique [a]achievements[/s] (oops, shouldn't use that word, might just give them ideas), DA3? Meh. Didn't show anything other than having at least halfway competent animators and CGI artists.

Time to go play some Conquistadors I think.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

While I thought DA2 was a good game, it was also entirely forgettable.

I think this is, from my subjective point of view, the most accurate review I've seen of the game.

Surprised they didn't praise their blasted QTE's and minigames as unique [a]achievements[/s] (oops, shouldn't use that word, might just give them ideas)

Of course you should be surprised that they didn't praise the QTEs that they themselves admitted to be a failure in TW2 design and have months ago said will be completely absent in Witcher 3... OH NO WAIT you totally shouldn't be surprised.

I think this is, from my subjective point of view, the most accurate review I've seen of the game.

That's even worse than a game being branded as bad. At least a bad game you're likely to remember.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

That's even worse than a game being branded as bad. At least a bad game you're likely to remember.

Why is being remembered - even in a negative connotation - considered a positive?

It's redicolous. Being average is definately better than being bad (and DA2 was average overall)

• Like 1

Hmm, finally got around to see the videos. TW3? Major disappointment. Focus on bloom, soil erosion, twitch combat, slow-mo, kill cam and what have you. Surprised they didn't praise their blasted QTE's and minigames as unique [a]achievements[/s] (oops, shouldn't use that word, might just give them ideas), DA3? Meh. Didn't show anything other than having at least halfway competent animators and CGI artists.

Time to go play some Conquistadors I think.

No QTEs in Witcher 3, as far as I'm aware, minigames are optional so you don't need to worry your head about that, heh. Hard to really get bent up about trailers for cRPGs at least at E3, both games will have the inevitable trailers for element X (story, characters, combat) later on. DA used Marilyn Manson and epic action and that turned out decently well enough.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Well, YMMV. I'd rather play a game I tremendously enjoy while I'm playing through it and then later forget about (DA2, some others that I've forgotten. ;)) than one that causes active suffering to me. But I'm not a gaming hipster!

What exactly is a gaming hipster ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm likely in the minority, but I actually enjoyed the mini games in TW2.  Boxing was fun, but too easy.  Dice poker was fun, but random, as expected.  Arm wrestling was a blast, and actually somewhat challenging.  As mentioned, if you're not down with any of the mini games you can just omit them entirely, you won't really be missing out on much of anything. 

What I'm most looking forward to with TW3 is their promise to make the combat more responsive.  I think their semi-pseudo-quasi-Batman-esque combat system is a good base, it just needs some tweaking.  Also, they need to work on balancing their skills and signs so you don't have an "I Win" skill (Quen sign) available.  Then there's the promise of making HUGE open world while still keeping a good narrative.  That...  That's going to be a challenge.  I hope they take more cues from Obsidian Entertainment than from Bethesda in that regard.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

What exactly is a gaming hipster ?

Pfft, Call of Duty was better before it sold out.  I used to follow Project: Eternity, when it was still underground.  I play Leisure Suit Larry Box: Office Bust because it's ironic.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks