Dragon Age III / The Witcher 3 trailers. Impressions?

Rahelron

54 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about these games?

• They will both be great.
    • TW3 will be good/great, DA3 will not.
    • DA3 will be good/great, TW2 will not.
    • They will both suck.

bearded Geralt

that's its only redeeming quality

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Soo, Varric, Cassandra and Morrigan. Dragon could also be an Archdemon?

Happily Bio's games are better than their trailers. Can't comment about the twitcher one, since they want to give my info to NSA to view it. :p

I'll be getting both, though.

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Like 2

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Don't believe any game will ever be "the ultimate" whatever the genre. that said, I have more faith in the CD Project bettering themselves than I have in bioware breaking out of the rut they have been in.

Melk remember you aren't allowed to play DA3, I'm sure you recall  the discussion we had a while ago where you said you never would play another DA game again   :p

I was wondering whether you'd remember :) Don't worry. I won't play it ;)

Edited by melkathi
  • Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Couldn't be bothered with the age verification. Doesn't appear I'm missing that much. Witcher 3 is out for current gen consoles so no wonder it looks like Witcher 2.

DA3, honestly the engine is very bad, rubber banding and wonky encounters, and they couldn't even be bothered buidling new locales, so every other cave is the same map. No reason to think they will do a decent job this time.

Not sure I follow your train of thought re: DA3 engine. They've switched to the newest version of Frostbite, which I don't think we've seen in action at all. Including mostly in this trailer, I agree, but still. They've also given a pretty good explanation for the DA2 recycling, but I see no reason in going over that thing yet again. I'm expecting something very different this time (again), which is kind of a shame since I really enjoyed DA2 in spite of its flaws.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

:fdevil:

Happily Bio's games are better than their trailers. Can't comment about the twitcher one, since they want to give my info to NSA to view it. :p

I'll be getting both, though.

Morrigan :dancing:

So beautiful and lascivious. I was hoping it was her. Good one Bioware for bringing her back. Imagine your character party made up with Morrigan and Isabella and both vying for your attention as you attempt to court both lovely ladies :fdevil:

Don't believe any game will ever be "the ultimate" whatever the genre. that said, I have more faith in the CD Project bettering themselves than I have in bioware breaking out of the rut they have been in.

Melk remember you aren't allowed to play DA3, I'm sure you recall  the discussion we had a while ago where you said you never would play another DA game again   :p

I was wondering whether you'd remember :) Don't worry. I won't play it ;)

Don't worry, no one will hold it against you if you slip-up and play DA3. Especially if it becomes the excellent RPG that most are hoping for :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Geriatric Geralt

You do realize that Geralt's pretty damn old? The most conservative estimate places him at 65 years of age, with the possibility that he is over a century old by the time Witcher 3 takes place. I'm not sure why he should not be showing signs of aging. The amount of **** the man went through is enough for a dozen lifetimes, from being gently broken by Vilgefortz to getting killed.

I'm looking forward to Witcher 3, not because of the trailer (these are pure entertainment and shouldn't affect a tru gamer's decision at all), but because CD Projekt RED is incredibly ambitious and showed that it does put in real effort to make their games great. Oh, and they're Polish.

ADDENDUM: I pity non-Polish gamers. Our voice actors blow foreigners out of the water when it comes to the Witcher.

Edited by Tagaziel
  • Like 3

ADDENDUM: I pity non-Polish gamers. Our voice actors blow foreigners out of the water when it comes to the Witcher.

I read that at least the german translations are great compared to the english one?

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Geriatric Geralt

You do realize that Geralt's pretty damn old? The most conservative estimate places him at 65 years of age, with the possibility that he is over a century old by the time Witcher 3 takes place. I'm not sure why he should not be showing signs of aging. The amount of **** the man went through is enough for a dozen lifetimes, from being gently broken by Vilgefortz to getting killed.

I'm looking forward to Witcher 3, not because of the trailer (these are pure entertainment and shouldn't affect a tru gamer's decision at all), but because CD Projekt RED is incredibly ambitious and showed that it does put in real effort to make their games great. Oh, and they're Polish.

I know this has been said before but I want to reiterate what huge respect I have for CD Project Red and the way they have created such a brilliant and iconic RPG series like the Witcher. Its a competitive industry so it must be hard to make worthwhile RPG especially when you have such competition from the likes of Bioware and Bethesda. Also kudos to Larian Studio's and there Divinity series of RPG :)

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

No way to be sure yet obviously but I assume the dragon is Flemeth leading the new bad guys.

Good point, that would make sense nicely :)

John Milton 

Hmm,

Witcher 3 - gameplay footage, plus, CD Projekt proved that they can learn from their mistakes.

Dragon Age: Inquisition - no footage, already discarded choices made by players a-la Mass Effect 3. And BioWare already showed that they have a learning capability of BioWare.

Edited by Cultist

MzpydUh.gif

Well, I'm going to wait for actual gameplay footage. The Witcher 3 at least looks graphically impressive, Dragon Age: Inquisition doesn't, and I'm not convinced by their artist choices. Keeping the proportions of the Dragon Age II models but going with more realistic textures, shaders and filters just doesn't seem to work.

EDIT: BruceVC actually made a good point: Divinity: Original Sin looks more interesting than both.

Edited by WorstUsernameEver

Well, I'm going to wait for actual gameplay footage. The Witcher 3 at least looks graphically impressive, Dragon Age: Inquisition doesn't, and I'm not convinced by their artist choices. Keeping the proportions of the Dragon Age II models but going with more realistic textures, shaders and filters just doesn't seem to work.

Oh yee of little faith.

Don't say that on GB, you wouldn't want to influence people negatively :p

John Milton 

Seems kinda pointless trying to pit them against each other. I'll definetly play DA:I, but not sure about Witcher3... but that's only because I haven't gotten around to playing even the first Witcher.

Anyway, Geralt still has a long way to go for true epicness

2edxg8j.jpg

• Like 2

Oh yee of little faith.

Don't say that on GB, you wouldn't want to influence people negatively :p

Well, it's capitalism baby, they have to win me over and make me interested, I don't really have to go out of my way to enjoy the stuff they show.

• Like 2

Unimpressed by either of them, Dragon Age seems to be sticking with the silly Mage war theme, features one of the odious cast from the second game and seems solidly entrenched in epic generic bombasity. The Witcher didn't really tell me anything I didn't know. The latter wins in my estimation because it showed gameplay however.

Edit: Didn't vote because I don't know what the games will play like, can only judge the trailers.

Yeah my thoughts exactly. I feel that the Witcher 3 has more potential though, because BW doesn't experiment enough, or at all.

Although I generally lost interest in the Witcher series after the first one. I loved it because it was rough around the edges, unabashedly rude and it managed to make me laugh - unlike the McDragon burger "build according to checklist" experience .

The second Witcher already looked like a commercialized, Hollywood type experience, I remember rolling my eyes at the soppy romantic scenes in some pool or other. 

I never played it so the new one will have to go out of its way to convince me that its what I think a Witcher game should be and not trying to be Mass Effect.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

I can't answer based on the trailers because it's impossible to forget all the other factors, such as track record and development approaches at the click of one's fingers. I'll say that the DA series has given me a total of half of a good game, while the Witcher series has given me one-and-a-half good games. So that's really the overwhelming factor in my expectations of the coming sequels.

I'm not an RPG traditionalist by any stretch, so it at least partially explains my position. Standards such as looting, party management, hard numbers and tactics don't particularly interest me in context of the genre.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Poland blows everyone out of the water when it comes to things Witcher! I'm surprised a movie andor TV series was never made...

(FTR, if Poland were to have made a Witcher movie or TV series I'd bet it would have been better than Diplomatic Immunity or Melody Rules)

Edited by Zoraptor

Poland blows everyone out of the water when it comes to things Witcher! I'm surprised a movie andor TV series was never made...

(FTR, if Poland were to have made a Witcher movie or TV series I'd bet it would have been better than Diplomatic Immunity or Melody Rules)

A TV series exists. Now forget I told you that.

• Like 1

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.