The Kickstarter Thread

Gorth

I'm curious how Capcom will handle this.  The way I see it, there are 3 choices:

1) Lawyer up

2) Do nothing

3) Give Inafune their blessing

Just for fun, I BioWare-ified it:

imageSep-02-16-18-04.png

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I'm curious how Capcom will handle this.  The way I see it, there are 3 choices:

1) Lawyer up

2) Do nothing

3) Give Inafune their blessing

Just for fun, I BioWare-ified it:

imageSep-02-16-18-04.png

If they lawyered up, somehow won that suit and took over production of that game, they would probably just cancel it like they have numerous Mega Man projects they've started in the last however many years since the last one came out. At this point, he should be able to use 99.9% of Mega Man's likeness with a different name and Capcom shouldn't be able to say anything.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

If they lawyered up, somehow won that suit and took over production of that game, they would probably just cancel it like they have numerous Mega Man projects they've started in the last however many years since the last one came out. At this point, he should be able to use 99.9% of Mega Man's likeness with a different name and Capcom shouldn't be able to say anything.

They wouldn't try to take over production, that's not even a reasonable assumption to make. When firms sue other firms or individuals for copyright infringement, how often do you think they try to take over production of the infringing product?

Never.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyno9/mighty-no-9/posts/587602

$1.3m, 28 days left. Might just hit consoles after all.

I'd say the likelihood is high.  In fact, I think it will break 3 million, though I doubt it will get into PE and TToN territory.  On big factor in its favor is that they will almost certainly get tons of coverage from every gaming news outlet, even more than Obsidian and InXile got, because Inafune.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Kind of cool looking...

0a95d0f1d71cd3ed377ea413f5178334_large.p

"Sword of the Stars: Ground Pounders is a hex-based, turn-based strategy war game set in the Sword of the Stars science fiction universe. Players will command the tanks, air craft and infantry assets of three different playable factions, fighting battles and campaigns from the Hiver War era, 2408-2436."

"Inspired by classic strategy games like Panzer General, our ultimate goal is to create a title which can be played on multiple platforms, and is enjoyable in both single-player and multi-player modes."

Currently at $8,636/$42,000 with 24 days to go.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Half a million is an awfully lofty goal for a game in a universe I've never heard of by a developer I've never heard of.  I mean no disrespect, should have I heard of Sime~Gen?

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

They're not gonna get funded, Jennifer isn't liked by a lot of people in the gaming community. 

Plus take a look at what you get for the contribution levels. $25 for the first 3-5 hour episode. Mmm... no.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

They're not gonna get funded, Jennifer isn't liked by a lot of people in the gaming community. 

I don't really know who Jennifer Hepler is either.

Plus take a look at what you get for the contribution levels. $25 for the first 3-5 hour episode. Mmm... no.

LOL, $25 for an just one part of an episodic game?  Good luck with that, folks.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

It looks bland anyways.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

I don't back any projects if I don't know what they have previously done. I know this might not be how other people do it and it might not be how crowd-funding is meant to be, but if their game is good, I'll buy it post-release. I don't feel like taking chances and suddenly find out that I supported a scammer. 

I don't know who any of these people are so I just just figure the games aren't for me

Except Uwe Boll, I've heard of him

You've never heard of Keiji Inafune?

:o

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Okay, I kind of assumed everybody knew who Inafune was.  My mistake.  Well, if you've ever played a Mega Man game, any Mega Man game, then you've played a Keiji Inafune game.  Notably, he also worked on Resident Evil 2, and more recently the Dead Rising and Onimusha series.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Okay, I kind of assumed everybody knew who Inafune was.  My mistake.  Well, if you've ever played a Mega Man game, any Mega Man game, then you've played a Keiji Inafune game.  Notably, he also worked on Resident Evil 2, and more recently the Dead Rising and Onimusha series.

I've head of Resident Evil 2 (never played it).

Can't say the other names ring a bell.

Of the two Kickstarter games (that I've backed) released so far, I can't say I've been "disappointed". Conquistadors delivered what I expected and Shadowrun Returns was ok (checkpoint/missing game save feature a major detractor). Did I pay over market price for them? Definitely. Was the game(s) to blame? Definitely not, it was entirely my own choice to support interesting projects from complete unknowns :)

Who knows, it may be those guys go on to create the penuntilmate crpg/tactical squad based combat hybrid game some day.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I can honestly say, I've only ever heard the name "Mega Man" referenced. No idea what kind of game it is.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein