RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS!

LadyCrimson

The real question is what is so different about Rockstar and Bethesda that they don't get on the annual bandwagon.

By now it's becoming the industry standard.

Quite frankly, I didn't know sports games (a.k.a. those games that couldn't change too much even if they tried), horrible job simulators and the one exception known as CoD defined industry standards.

after AC 3 i will not pay full price for another AC game, that said, i'll pick up the pirate one when it hits $30 or so, because i like pirates...

• Like 1

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Epic removed it.

Here you go:

It's purrrrdy.  8)

Thanks!

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Assassin's Creed will be annual until players say stop

Ubisoft, you guys... god damnit.

The real question is what is so different about Rockstar and Bethesda that they don't get on the annual bandwagon.

By now it's becoming the industry standard.

Are the people behind the industry so daft that they don't realize that a lot of the ideas that go into a game might work better as their own separate games?

They want to make an AC game about pirates? Then why don't they make their own separate series about acrobatic pirates?

Instead they cram those ideas into places they shouldn't be; I think there's a word for forced entry that describes that.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

http://kotaku.com/the-stunning-debut-trailer-for-hardware-a-game-by-some-464366720

Dude, FRIGGIN HOMEWORLD!

It's made by the guys who worked on Homeworld, and a lot of the "wrecked stuff in the desert" and just the "desert planet" look exactly like Homeworld.

• Like 2

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

They should have made a KS for the IP. Hm, where the heck is Garden anyway.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

http://kotaku.com/the-stunning-debut-trailer-for-hardware-a-game-by-some-464366720

Dude, FRIGGIN HOMEWORLD!

It's made by the guys who worked on Homeworld, and a lot of the "wrecked stuff in the desert" and just the "desert planet" look exactly like Homeworld.

I was excited....until I read this,

For us at Blackbird, platform requirements were nebulous. We wanted to launch on social networks like Facebook, and then move onto mobile platforms including iPhone and Android, but tablets looked pretty good too, and a standalone PC build for Steam distribution also made sense. Consoles were a possibility in the future, depending on the success of the game.

Blackbird say you'll be commanding "a fleet of massive vehicles" in your travels/fights, and that the interaction between players will make Hardware "the world's first planetary-scale social strategy game."

I'm not a fan of facebook type social games.  I prefer my gaming solo and until a few more details come out, it sounds a lot like it's a game that requires a constant connection to play.

Edit:  Oops.  Link: http://kotaku.com/former-homeworld-developers-are-making-a-new-sci-fi-gam-5870674

Edited by mute688

Are the people behind the industry so daft that they don't realize that a lot of the ideas that go into a game might work better as their own separate games?

They want to make an AC game about pirates? Then why don't they make their own separate series about acrobatic pirates?

Instead they cram those ideas into places they shouldn't be; I think there's a word for forced entry that describes that.

Brand name = $$

If someone took Sleeping Dogs and called it GTA: Hong Kong instead it would probably sell obscene numbers and not the modest ones that it did.

• Like 1

PC gaming software sales reportedly hit 20 billions dollars in 2012.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/78421/report-pc-gaming-software-sales-reached-20-billion-in-2012

There are over one billion PC gamers in the world now, and DFC expects the industry to grow to $25.7 billion by 2016. As Matt Ployhar, PCGA president pointed out at a press conference yesterday, "you need to add three consoles to get close to that figure."

Jon Peddie Research also offered some further insight into the demographics of PC gamers in America. According to their report, the average Windows-based PC gamer is now 35 years old--a high number which the "PC industry wants to try to reverse" by appealing to younger gamers.

Why would they want to attract younger gamers?  We older gamers have more disposable income and our money is just as good as anyone else.  Are they expecting a sudden die off of over 35's?  Should I be worried?  :blink:

That's an oddly written article.  I think the argument is that PC games are not attracting enough new customers, those 35 year olds are a group that have been playing PC games for a long time, but you aren't adding a bunch of 35 year old gamers every year.  Of course then they talk about how much the industry has grown, so that's why the article in unclear.

In other news, Internet Journalism continues to be rubbish. 

• Like 2

http://www.shacknews.com/article/78421/report-pc-gaming-software-sales-reached-20-billion-in-2012

There are over one billion PC gamers in the world now, and DFC expects the industry to grow to $25.7 billion by 2016. As Matt Ployhar, PCGA president pointed out at a press conference yesterday, "you need to add three consoles to get close to that figure."

Jon Peddie Research also offered some further insight into the demographics of PC gamers in America. According to their report, the average Windows-based PC gamer is now 35 years old--a high number which the "PC industry wants to try to reverse" by appealing to younger gamers.

Why would they want to attract younger gamers?  We older gamers have more disposable income and our money is just as good as anyone else.  Are they expecting a sudden die off of over 35's?  Should I be worried?  :blink:

Probably because attracting younger gamers means disposable income 10-20 years down the road. Hobbies die off because of a failure to attract younger members. (Remember tabletop wargaming?)

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Why wouldn't they want to attract younger gamers?  As long as it doesn't come at the expense of forsaking their current 35 year old customer base (I'm 36 so I guess I'm squarely in that demographic), why not appeal to kids and bring in new blood?  I'm not saying they should scrap deep & complex RTSs, gritty 100 different shades of brown generic modern & space marine shooters, and deep strategic & open world RPGs for cutesy anime high-five fests and pony hair brushing simulator 2014, but there's room out there for games with interesting, colorful, and family friendly characters that appeal to children and adults alike.  Nintendo has been making a pretty good business of this for quite a long time & most kids these days grow up with a computer in their house, so they already have the platform.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Abe the Yen-Destroyer keeps pressing on with his mission of currency-seppuku to push Japanese industries into decline:

SCEJ shut down.

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/130401.html

http://translate.google.com/transla...i.co.jp/corporate/release/130401.html&act=url

Not sure if April fool or just Japanese tactlessness.

Edited by Morgoth

Hobbies die off because of a failure to attract younger members. (Remember tabletop wargaming?)

I take your point, but srlsy, tabletop wargaming is doing quite nicely, thankyouverymuch. It's niche, for sure, but it's in rude health.

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

GOG's April Fool joke isn't that bad

http://www.gog.com/retromator4000

• Scale your graphics back to SVGA, VGA, or even EGA, with color depths as low as 16 colors!
  • Bring back the old-school user interfaces: each genre comes with its own selectable UI inspired by the classics.
  • Remove all graphics completely and play your favorite game as a text-only adventure in a variety of text parser styles.
  • Get rid of all QTEs from games, replacing them with traditional boss battles or incomprehensible timed puzzles!
  • Eliminate the regenerating health/shields and limited weapon inventories from shooters. Add back in the other 8 gun slots that Carmack intended!
  • Add context for your actions back into the game via neural branching storylines thanks to the random story generator.
  • Add an EMS & XMS memory management minigame. Also has optional IRQ conflicts module and autoexec.bat options.
  • Break games up into virtual disks. Relive the joy of floppy switching via drag & drop!
  • UNDER DEVELOPMENT: RetroMator 4000 will soon also have features that let you create your own shareware versions of games (extracts ~3 hours of gameplay, adds in nag screens) and converts games into side-scrolling platformers.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Abe the Yen-Destroyer keeps pressing on with his mission of currency-seppuku to push Japanese industries into decline:

SCEJ shut down.

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/130401.html

http://translate.google.com/transla...i.co.jp/corporate/release/130401.html&act=url

Not sure if April fool or just Japanese tactlessness.

Looks like they not so much shutting. It down, as merging it with the Asian division.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I think they mispelled "Thug".

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy