RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS!

LadyCrimson

Ah, you're all being too harsh, is just a trailer. And this by Eidos Montreal, they know what they're doing.

Anyway, wasn't very impressed by that. Nice voice they chose for Garrett.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I watched this mind-blowing video demo last night of the next generation facial rendering technology (shown at the Nvidia GPU Tech Conference). The really interesting part starts at about 8:40 if you want to skip the discussion of the uncanny valley.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/03/20/nvidia-tech-demo-shows-off-new-face-works-tech/

Now all I need is a Titan blade server that can do 2 teraflops.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I could not detect *anything* Thief in this teaser, will not grace it with a Day 1 purchase.

Just because they almost caught him? :o

No, because a "true" thief trailer you should neither be able to hear nor see, but when it is over, your valuables should be missing.

• Like 3

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

No, because a "true" thief trailer you should neither be able to hear nor see, but when it is over, your valuables should be missing.

Nah, the robbed feeling comes after the installation.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Man if I was a game Dev I'd use this opportunity to make loads of cash by combining a genre and the names of two franchises that are all very successfull:

CounterThief

Setting up dungeons and guard patrols to stop Garrett from stealing your stuff.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Man if I was a game Dev I'd use this opportunity to make loads of cash by combining a genre and the names of two franchises that are all very successfull:

CounterThief

Setting up dungeons and guard patrols to stop Garrett from stealing your stuff.

Well, the idea of trying to prevent some elite thief/operative/augmented guy who never asked for this from violating someone's property would be cool, but I guess they might not catch on as they're reactive in a sense. That would work for something like JA in reverse - crush the mercenary led rebellion.

Thieves do not necessarily have a pipsqueak physique - Conan was, among many things, also a thief, for instance. Karsa Orlong was a giant, but stealthier than Kalam Mekhar (who was a man of considerable physique himself). And that outfit is ridiculous - it reminds me of the inmates from the Malkavian mansion level from Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

i actually liked the thief trailer.  it shows him stealing and running from guards, not slaying dragons and mowing down armies with a gatling crossbow.

i thought it was a nice touch having him steal the title at the end too

• Like 2

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

That thief trailer was even worse. The excitement of thief was that your Garrett wasn't a superhuman roll seven times in the air hitting the guard's vocal cords with a piece of string from your left toe and then jump out the window and survive Assassin's Creed style, it was that you really were a thief, just a very very good one. I don't want to play Ninja Thief, I want to play a thief. 

And what the hell is up with that font? Why would you change that? Well, I guess all they need to do now is change the name, too. I suggest Silent Brooding Wealth Redistributor of Darkness.

• Like 1

That thief trailer was even worse. The excitement of thief was that your Garrett wasn't a superhuman roll seven times in the air hitting the guard's vocal cords with a piece of string from your left toe and then jump out the window and survive Assassin's Creed style, it was that you really were a thief, just a very very good one. I don't want to play Ninja Thief, I want to play a thief.

Which is precisely why the sudden shift to supernatural immediately sold me off of Thief.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of those areas in the originals and tend to rush past them. Good thing is that they are mostly confined to a few specific missions, leaving the rest in glory. Life of the Party, baby.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of those areas in the originals and tend to rush past them. Good thing is that they are mostly confined to a few specific missions, leaving the rest in glory. Life of the Party, baby.

I thought the supernatural angle worked really well in Deadly Shadows. We have a genuinely sinister main protagonist and some really scary places like the Shalebridge Cradle, but you're right. They didn't overdo it which is why it worked.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

. On the one hand, one of the main characters will be Brock Sampson which is an automatic win. On the other hand, one of the main characters will be Evil Dead's Ash Williams who will not be voiced by Bruce Campbell.  I don't know how to feel, the conflicting emotions are too strong.

Oh, and does this mean that a Venture Bros. adventure game might be a possiblity at some point?

Edited by Serrano

not voiced by bruce campbell????

whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy would they even bother including ash without bruce campbell?  i cannot fathom why that would even seem like a remotely good idea

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I could not detect *anything* Thief in this teaser, will not grace it with a Day 1 purchase.

Just because they almost caught him? :o

that's bull****, the trailer shows of what you can do in the game. while the voice-over actually TELLS you you can ghost.

Having been a fairly active member of the Thief Forums, I can tell you, there were some very vocal people on those forums. "true fans" in the fandumb sense. They were very specific on how they felt thiaf should stay true. And I'm pretty damn sure the developers listened. There was one guy, went by the name JTR7, I disagreed with him a lot, but he sure was passionate, and I believe I recall the devs actually calling him out as a source of inspiration. (unheard of, I think) he was all about what you guys were saying. So I'm pretty damn confident this game will live up to spec.

That said.

I'm also quite sure that as good developers, they allowed the game to be played by more than just the purists.

• Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

The original Thiefs could be played by more than just the purists, so I don't see a problem with sticking to some core fundamentals of the franchise.

Lip service goes a long way sometimes.

Not always in a good way, however.

Paying lip service during development so that, after release, those that were interested realize it was just lip service will only serve to anger/frustrate people.

Imagine if Fallout 3 had paid lip service to the fact that it could be an isometric RPG if it never really had the intent of being so.  At least fans that want the isometric RPG don't have any false expectations and can write the game off and move on.  Or complain incessantly about it.  Either way they probably gain some level of satisfaction.

maybe you should withhold judgement till release, since you have no idea whether it was lip service or not.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

maybe you should withhold judgement till release, since you have no idea whether it was lip service or not.

Neither do you, and all your reasons for your faith can very well be just that. Eh, why not be skeptical, they are trying to sell you a product, after all.