What are you playing now?

Rosbjerg

Max Payne 3. I never actually intended to play it but it was very cheap. SP is quite fun, while MP is an unbalanced mess.And the weird character movement that doesn't matter in SP is a problem in MP.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Alice: Madness Returns. Reminded me a lot of the first Max Payne, to a lesser extent Psychonauts and VtM: Bloodlines. I played a hour of the original Alice but I can't remember that much of it and the game seems to reference its predecessor a bit. The mechanics are terrible, I hate the jumping, double (triple/quadruple) jump, floating, and dash. The combat was frustrating as hell, spongy enemies, with a stupid lock on system, really simple enemies. Art, tone, style are great, there's some really inconsistent texture work and inexplicable frame drops. This game is 3 - 4 times too long, the environments, combat, platforming, and puzzles don't justify the time spent on them, lots of repetition. Annoying pointless minigames, some segments with fixed cameras or running towards the camera. Really disappointed, there's so much promise in this game.

Alice: Madness Returns. Reminded me a lot of the first Max Payne, to a lesser extent Psychonauts and VtM: Bloodlines. I played a hour of the original Alice but I can't remember that much of it and the game seems to reference its predecessor a bit. The mechanics are terrible, I hate the jumping, double (triple/quadruple) jump, floating, and dash. The combat was frustrating as hell, spongy enemies, with a stupid lock on system, really simple enemies. Art, tone, style are great, there's some really inconsistent texture work and inexplicable frame drops. This game is 3 - 4 times too long, the environments, combat, platforming, and puzzles don't justify the time spent on them, lots of repetition. Annoying pointless minigames, some segments with fixed cameras or running towards the camera. Really disappointed, there's so much promise in this game.

I thoroughly enjoyed Alice, I loved the various levels and the artistic interpretation of the original Alice world. Each area really had its own weird characteristics. Also the narrative was dark and compelling.

It funny how we can differ on the mechanics. Once I use to the controls I started loving the jumping and floating components of the game, I guess we all have different views :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Metal Gear Solid

This Master Miller chap sure is helpful.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I whacked the Twisted Rune in BG2 in an utterly anticlimactic and pretty much dairy free roflstomp. They (especially that lightweight Shandygar) seemed to get fixated on dealing with two summoned deva/ fallen deva. Got hit with the annoying BGT bug relating to having your romantic interest vampirised where you end up with the BG1 version (level 5 Viconia, awesome!) being restored rather than the level 20 BG2 version you'd been playing with, but fixed it OK. My fault really, I knew it was a potential issue but had forgotten. Now doing Watcher's Keep prior to going to save some hippy self righteous elves in their forest city of gazebos and swimming pools, and marvelling at how my Berserk with a THAC0 of -9 can't seem to kill a mind flayer to save his life having blithely slaughtered dozens of them in the underdark.

Also played a bit of Zeus in follow up to playing Pharaoh.

Never did get around to Zeus, think it's the only one of those I haven't tried. One day I will (I think it's on GoG now, isn't it?).

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I thoroughly enjoyed Alice, I loved the various levels and the artistic interpretation of the original Alice world. Each area really had its own weird characteristics. Also the narrative was dark and compelling.

It funny how we can differ on the mechanics. Once I use to the controls I started loving the jumping and floating components of the game, I guess we all have different views :)

I really loved Alice: Madness Returns. The only thing that I didn't really like was the dialogue. The first game had an awesome way of telling the story. This game though, looked as if it was simply trying to keep up. Edited by Astiaks

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Never did get around to Zeus, think it's the only one of those I haven't tried. One day I will (I think it's on GoG now, isn't it?).

Yeah, that's where I got it from along with Pharaoh last year. Both good buys, I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed that type of game and they don't really get made any more.

I forgot how tough Metal Gear Rex was. There's very little margin for error. Too close and you get lasered. Too far and you can't run from the missiles. Only a split second to actually fire. GAH!

Still beat him.

And the first room of Raiden's chapter of MGS2 is always a bit of a hassle too. It's far tighter than the similar area in MGS 1 and you're forced to start it over by them instead of off in safety.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

BG2, I'm starting to think SCS mage prebuffs overdo it a little bit. Rayic Gethras starts off with Spell Deflection + Globe of Invulnerability (which means you can't breach him unless you have 7th level spells, maybe 6th if I remember wrong) and also has Mantle / Prot. Magic Weapon buffs - i.e. guaranteed at least 10 turns of near invulnerability from which to throw spells like Domination, Power Word: Stun, etc. It was pretty damn tough beating him down, though I suppose it makes sense a lone Cowled Wizard in his own abode would be so prepared.

Yes, update coming soon.

Trying to play through Wind Waker on emulator, (I legally own it). My second least favorite Zelda, (following Skyward Sword), and the fact that it keeps randomly hanging after cutscenes is not endearing me any more to it...had to restart the game after beating the first temple and just getting to the second, as I apparently never saved up until that point and I black screened after a cutscene...now I just got to the end of the second visit of the Forsaken Fortress, and my game is hanging right before fighting the bird. My last save was apparently a temple and a half ago.

If I can't get it working without having to go back to that save, I'm done.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

BG2, I'm starting to think SCS mage prebuffs overdo it a little bit. Rayic Gethras starts off with Spell Deflection + Globe of Invulnerability (which means you can't breach him unless you have 7th level spells, maybe 6th if I remember wrong) and also has Mantle / Prot. Magic Weapon buffs - i.e. guaranteed at least 10 turns of near invulnerability from which to throw spells like Domination, Power Word: Stun, etc. It was pretty damn tough beating him down, though I suppose it makes sense a lone Cowled Wizard in his own abode would be so prepared.

Yes, update coming soon.

As far as I remember, even without SCS, he has most of the protections you've named. At least the globe and the mantle.

I'm still playing FNV. I'm trying to go to all the locations this times. There are a lot of things to do if you want to do almost all.

Edited by Orchomene

I am playing Mechwarrior online from time to time and now I seen some Lets play EVE online so I started to play that one again. I just love this game even tho I dont have so much time to play these days.

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Played a game of FTL, and my crew suffocated to death while trying to fix the O2 system.  Lovely.  

That's part of its charm! Hahaha.

It may be the short nature of each campaign, but i don't find myself getting too attached (and as a result too frustrated) when the game trolls me.  On the other hand, I do laugh maniacally when their O2 room is breached and they can't repair it fast enough before evacuating to get healed and it's just a matter of time until they all asphyxiate!  The game turns me into a horrible human being!

Played a game of FTL, and my crew suffocated to death while trying to fix the O2 system.  Lovely.  

That's part of its charm! Hahaha.

It may be the short nature of each campaign, but i don't find myself getting too attached (and as a result too frustrated) when the game trolls me.  On the other hand, I do laugh maniacally when their O2 room is breached and they can't repair it fast enough before evacuating to get healed and it's just a matter of time until they all asphyxiate!  The game turns me into a horrible human being!

I love finding the basic slug ships that don't have any doors into the O2 room. Those are always fun.

Nice big game of Civ IV on the weekend, having already killed every Greek, cleansed Persia out of the middle east so begins the inevitable slog against the hordes of Chinese to the east. Yet another game where all these SoBS are vassal states to some big Eastern power :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Having a blast playing through the Zodiac Tournament in Sleeping Dogs.  It's Enter the Dragon right down to the funky 70s music.

8)

I thought you would enjoy it, its just not very long

Its a pity they couldn't make a much longer expansion of SD, something where you have to travel the city and kill numerous elite assassins. A bit like Bourne Identity. And each assassin would have his own style of fighting.

Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela