What are you playing now?

Rosbjerg

BioWare is dropping the ball too often

At least you are suggesting that they keep picking it back up :p

Hi Melk :)

I like Bioware and despite all this "Bioware Bashing" I guarantee you that almost every person on these forums who claims to dislike Bioware and that there games are sub-par will play Dragon Age 3 when its released. Mark my words :)

I wont. And I think I proved that by not playing ME3 ;)

Sub-par... Bioware has entrenched itself in a specific niche, with a very specific style which does not appeal to me. It is far less a "bioware is bad" issue than the hordes of people who very vocaly will explain how they are perfect, which in turn will make those who disagree with that position to overly disagree. I do take offense when a "serious" gaming journalist drools over the consequences in Mass Effect and then discards the writing in Alpha Protocol as shallow for example. :)

BACK ON TOPIC:

( ;)  )

I accidentally deleted my continuous game in Anno 2070. Warehouses full of resources. 2.12 million credits. A research town churning out prototypes... all gone...

So I have to start a new game and get back countless hours of playtime.

I like Bioware and despite all this "Bioware Bashing" I guarantee you that almost every person on these forums who claims to dislike Bioware and that there games are sub-par will play Dragon Age 3 when its released. Mark my words :)

I won't. The way things are right now,  i don't even know when i'll play another Bioware game again.

Sorry boys but I don't quite believe you :p  When DA3 is released and it will be awesome, you'll play it. You won't be able to resist.

And to be honest its not that hard to avoid playing ME3, but to not play an incredible fantasy RPG is a different story. So we will have to see....

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Sorry boys but I don't quite believe you :p  When DA3 is released and it will be awesome, you'll play it. You won't be able to resist.

And to be honest its not that hard to avoid playing ME3, but to not play an incredible fantasy RPG is a different story. So we will have to see....

If they made some strange fairy tale rpg. Or an interesting Steampunk setting. Or something very punky cyberpunk. Or if they did a Tron RPG. Yeah, I'd play that. But franchises that I don't care for? Nah.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I might, but I'll wait so see what the game is like first.  BioWare used to be one of the very few developers that I instinctively trusted to deliver a wonderful game that I will enjoy.  Dragon Age 2 changed all that.  Now they're another "wait and see" developer.  If Dragon Age 3 is a great game and to my liking, and I hope that it's fantastic, then I will buy it and play it.

As for avoiding fantasy or sci-fi RPGs, I'm actually quite the opposite.  I've always preferred sci-fi over fantasy.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

If they made some strange fairy tale rpg. Or an interesting Steampunk setting. Or something very punky cyberpunk. Or if they did a Tron RPG. Yeah, I'd play that. But franchises that I don't care for? Nah.

Or Jade Empire 2. I'd so play that

• Like 1

I might, but I'll wait so see what the game is like first.  BioWare used to be one of the very few developers that I instinctively trusted to deliver a wonderful game that I will enjoy.  Dragon Age 2 changed all that.  Now they're another "wait and see" developer.  If Dragon Age 3 is a great game and to my liking, and I hope that it's fantastic, then I will buy it and play it.

As for avoiding fantasy or sci-fi RPGs, I'm actually quite the opposite.  I've always preferred sci-fi over fantasy.

I hear you, I expect caution from many people around DA3. For me I don't think I have ever had a Day 1 purchase for any game, I generally wait for reviews and other users input. I normally wait for 1 month because then the first mandatory patches have been released and the game is relatively stable

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'll probably have a bash at Dragon Age: Nobody expects the Spanish when it drops to a negligible price on Steam, just so I feel that I am getting some payback for preordering the Signature edition of DA2. Unless it's on Origins in which case i'll ride off into the sunset...on my own.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Just scooped up the Crusader Kings II collection off Steam before the Steam Linux sale ran out.  This will be my first foray into a Paradox strategy title, and I'm prepared for BRUTAL learning curve.  So with that in mind, I'm off into the tutorial before going off into my journey of becoming King of Poland and then THE WORLD.

:brows:

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

It's not too bad, but there are some quirks to it.  I recommend starting off small (A count/earl) just to get the idea on how some of the mechanics work.

Yeah, I'm prepared to invest a good bit of time learning about the game mechanics before diving headlong into the title.  

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Played an hour or two of Crysis 3.

"Very impressive", is the first thing you're probably gonna say. Graphics and sound are absolutely outstanding. But as you keep playing, you soon realize what a ****ing trite piece of garbage this game is. You get rushed from one map note to another, like in Crysis 2, only this time the pacing is a lot worse. Stealth bowing Cell dudes to get from A to B, cutscene with Psycho, rush through high grass while being bombarded by laser turrets, wade through some more grass and play matador and bull with Ceph, then the same over again. They sure managed to let those maps look a lot bigger than they actually are. The whole level design is like one big film set. Boring, underwhelming, but pretty. Very pretty.

Welcome to Hollywood Interactive.

Uninstalled. Don't buy.

i thought crysis 2 was mediocre at best, so i wasn't excited about crysis 3

sounds like i won't be missing out

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

More Arcanum. No quests done, I just played for half an hour. Finally doing main quest again in Black Mountain. I've been in lots of places you're probably not supposed to visit yet, but it is more fun that way. And if one has already played the games before, it isn't really problematic. Backstab is your friend. I picked Harm just now, for the hell of it.

Sub-par... Bioware has entrenched itself in a specific niche, with a very specific style which does not appeal to me. It is far less a "bioware is bad" issue than the hordes of people who very vocaly will explain how they are perfect, which in turn will make those who disagree with that position to overly disagree. I do take offense when a "serious" gaming journalist drools over the consequences in Mass Effect and then discards the writing in Alpha Protocol as shallow for example. :)

BACK ON TOPIC:

( ;)  )

I accidentally deleted my continuous game in Anno 2070. Warehouses full of resources. 2.12 million credits. A research town churning out prototypes... all gone...

>> 

I won't. The way things are right now,  i don't even know when i'll play another Bioware game again.

If it's awesome in a return-control-to-the-player, less cinematic sort of way--and doesn't require Origin--sure.  I don't think it's so much an issue of their games being "subpar" as it is them having "moved on" from creating the sorts of games I like to play.

Edit: Bah! I didn't intend to quote the entire conversation.  :(

Edited by Lady Evenstar
  • Like 1

I'm playing Dragon Age: Origins again.  Plan on then playing DA2. 

And yeah I'll probably get and play DA3 pretty soon after it is released.  I liked DAO and DA2 despite they're flaws; was more disappointed with ME3 to be honest (but ME2 pretty much set up what ME3 would be like; I think it kind of went off the rails there to be honest (and I still enjoyed the game despite not liking specific elements of it (hows that for nested parentheses?)))

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

BACK ON TOPIC:

( ;)  )

>>> 

If it's awesome in a return-control-to-the-player, less cinematic sort of way--and doesn't require Origin--sure.  I don't think it's so much an issue of their games being "subpar" as it is them having "moved on" from creating the sorts of games I like to play.

Edit: Bah! I didn't intend to quote the entire conversation.  :(

Don't feel bad I just did the exact same thing :)

And yeah I'll probably get and play DA3 pretty soon after it is released.  I liked DAO and DA2 despite they're flaws; was more disappointed with ME3 to be honest (but ME2 pretty much set up what ME3 would be like; I think it kind of went off the rails there to be honest (and I still enjoyed the game despite not liking specific elements of it (hows that for nested parentheses?)))

End of the day this is my view, I enjoyed both DA1&2. They weren't BG2 but they were entertaining and thats all I ask for nowadays when I play a game. I expect  entertainment, not inspiration. Besides lets be honest, DA2 has Isabella in it, what's not to like about her and those pirate outfits :)

John Milton 

So, Diablo-3 for PS3 and PS4? That probably explains a lot.

...the GUI change they're working on. Ugh.

D3-consoleGUI1a.jpg

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I thought the first 90% of Mass Effect 3 was fantastic, the last 10% was a straight up slap in the face.  What bothered me about Dragon Age 2 wasn't so much the change in direction or obvious consolization of the game or the ho-hum story and characters, it was the plain as day corner cutting/rush job/lack of effort evident (lather, rinse, repeat combat, shameless dungeon recycling).  I can live with a game being uninspired and subpar when the developer put forth the effort and did their best, just failed.  What makes my blood boil is when a developer quite obviously slapped something together as fast as possible and rushed it out the door for cash grab purposes.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

The problem with DA2 came more from it not really being sure what it wanted to be.  It was actually originally concepted as being a sort of Dragon Age 1.5 (called Dragon Age: Exodus.  Inquisition was to be the sequel to DAO), with the idea of experimenting with some gameplay ideas.

In not being sure if it was a full sequel or semi-stand alone and whatnot, scope concerns weren't really fully thought out.  The game was actually intended to be a shorter game, but then there was concerns that it'd be hit critically due to its length, but the scope of the project didn't really accommodate much for that.

I'm sure there's a host of other things as well that I can't really go into (as much because I don't know the full details so there's some degree of speculation on my part for what motivated some decisions), but in the end adding to the length meant asset reuse and we were raked over the coals for it (rightfully so IMO).

Edited by alanschu
  • Like 1

The problem with DA2 came more from it not really being sure what it wanted to be.  It was actually originally concepted as being a sort of Dragon Age 1.5 (called Dragon Age: Exodus.  Inquisition was to be the sequel to DAO), with the idea of experimenting with some gameplay ideas.

In not being sure if it was a full sequel or semi-stand alone and whatnot, scope concerns weren't really fully thought out.  The game was actually intended to be a shorter game, but then there was concerns that it'd be hit critically due to its length, but the scope of the project didn't really accommodate much for that.

I'm sure there's a host of other things as well that I can't really go into (as much because I don't know the full details so there's some degree of speculation on my part for what motivated some decisions), but in the end adding to the length meant asset reuse and we were raked over the coals for it (rightfully so IMO).

Well now I can, happily, retract the "lack of effort" part of my criticism/rant.  It doesn't change my general dislike of the lather, rinse, repeat combat and dungeon recycling, but at least I can pin reasons to them.  It really pained my to throw that "lack of effort" label to a BioWare game, since they've previously always been a developer I could count on to deliver a game that was clearly painstakingly crafted with loving care, even if I didn't always agree with certain aspects of said game.

To get back on topic, after messing around/learning a bit in Crusader Kings II, as expected, I'm facing a daunting amount of information to process.  Also, I can happily report that eventually I'm likely going to quite enjoy this game.  It's going to be a long learning process, but it looks like it will be a rewarding one too.  Obviously, opinion very subject to change.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Well now I can, happily, retract the "lack of effort" part of my criticism/rant.  It doesn't change my general dislike of the lather, rinse, repeat combat and dungeon recycling, but at least I can pin reasons to them.  It really pained my to throw that "lack of effort" label to a BioWare game, since they've previously always been a developer I could count on to deliver a game that was clearly painstakingly crafted with loving care, even if I didn't always agree with certain aspects of said game.

I'll admit a personal pet peeve of the term "lazy" so there was definite "NO I WASN'T! /RABBLE /RABBLE" with my response HAHA.  But yeah, my skin slowly grows thicker :p  (this peeve has existed with me for years)

It's a bit funny because I'd much prefer to just be told "You made a poor decision that was bad and you should feel bad" rather than "You're lazy" haha.

To get back on topic, after messing around/learning a bit in Crusader Kings II, as expected, I'm facing a daunting amount of information to process.  Also, I can happily report that eventually I'm likely going to quite enjoy this game.  It's going to be a long learning process, but it looks like it will be a rewarding one too.  Obviously, opinion very subject to change.

Like I said, fire off any questions my way.

Some tips, I encourage you to build up your economy of your controlled demesne (build upgrades that improve tax revenue).  Having a highly capable tax collector collecting taxes can help out (and the effects are multiplicative too).

Who did you pick?  I usually play as a count in Ireland or Wales, as it means I don't have a liege and I have a bit more autonomy in that regard (and forming the Kingdom of Wales/Ireland is fun too).

Like I said, fire off any questions my way.

Some tips, I encourage you to build up your economy of your controlled demesne (build upgrades that improve tax revenue).  Having a highly capable tax collector collecting taxes can help out (and the effects are multiplicative too).

Who did you pick?  I usually play as a count in Ireland or Wales, as it means I don't have a liege and I have a bit more autonomy in that regard (and forming the Kingdom of Wales/Ireland is fun too).

A Duke in Poland.  I don't want to start out as a king, at least not for my first playthrough.  I plan to mess around with the Ruler Designer DLC too, as I got that as part of the pack.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I thought the first 90% of Mass Effect 3 was fantastic, the last 10% was a straight up slap in the face.  What bothered me about Dragon Age 2 wasn't so much the change in direction or obvious consolization of the game or the ho-hum story and characters, it was the plain as day corner cutting/rush job/lack of effort evident (lather, rinse, repeat combat, shameless dungeon recycling).  I can live with a game being uninspired and subpar when the developer put forth the effort and did their best, just failed.  What makes my blood boil is when a developer quite obviously slapped something together as fast as possible and rushed it out the door for cash grab purposes.

I dunno, to me MASS EFFECT 1 is heroic space opera; MASS EFFECT 2 and 3 try to bring a dose of "realism" to the proceedings that really make it more of a war story and its that which I don't think I ever really appreciated (because, really I wanted heroic space opera).

The idea that you're playing a "war story" as opposed to "heroic action" is  REALLY felt in the end of ME3, IMO.

It'd probably wouldn't have been as pilloried had it been published as a side story (for a series I think that can be a strength - side games can experiment and be their own little things without impacting the main story).

That said, I didn't mind the reuse of assets to be honest because the game was fun to play. But then I have a high tolerance for that sort of thing. Game wasn't perfect and yeah the assets shouldn't have been reused as much (but hey, even DAO reused assets, so...)...and yet I still enjoyed playing it for what it was (rather than what I might think DA2 should have been).

...And I had to restart DAO because I screwed up the character I was making (I was trying to re-do the Dwarven Noble save I lost when my 360 died years ago when I first was playing DAO (lost the save right around time to hit the last battle) and realized I'd messed up several early moments). So I went with an elf mage since I felt I might get bored early on if I had the same character doing mostly the same things.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Not me ;) My last Bio game was Jade Empire, and I am proud about it :p And I am also proud that I own every single PC Bio game, expansion pack and DLC up to Jade Empire, all were excellent games, even thought hey were not all my cup of tea...

After they sold out to EA, I just found another companies which provides me with high quality products. Thankfully there is enough companies which offer quality gameplay, instead of idea of broadening the audience...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Right now I'm playing nothing. But I'm wating anxiously for word of a GOTY edition for Skyrim so I can buy the whole thing at once. Have no played it yet. Plus OOTP 14 comes out in April. I'm excited about that. I would imagine I'm the only one here to say that! :lol:

Oh yes, Rome TW II, that is Must-Have!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell