RANDOM VIDEA GAME NEWS!

Rosbjerg

In general I support demos.

I'm of the mind that very, very few games are so must have.  If it's not already a game that has me going "Oooo I want now!" to the point where a demo would be useful, then it's a game I probably have no problem just waiting to pick up when it's cheaper, or even just not playing it at all.

Good points, did  DA1&2 have demos?

Yes they did, and i thank god DA2 had one so i canceled my pre-order. ( But my ex-gf bought me its PS3 version as a birthday present... thank you karma)

I support demos too(or ye'olde sharewares) A well done demo can give you details of how full game is going to be. They helped me countless time either not buying the game (latest exp. Omerta) or buying (exp. MG: Revengeance)

Okay for me this is a tough one, so in reality Bioware lost a sale because you didn't buy the game due to the fact you found it lacking. Yet you are entitled pay for something that feel delivers an entertaining experience, so what is the right option here? I would say publishers and developers should stand by there products and release a limited demo, maybe 6 hours?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Okay for me this is a tough one, so in reality Bioware lost a sale because you didn't buy the game due to the fact you found it lacking. Yet you are entitled pay for something that feel delivers an entertaining experience, so what is the right option here? I would say publishers and developers should stand by there products and release a limited demo, maybe 6 hours?

Well, before 2000 many companies release 2-4 hour long shareware versions of their games. (Doom 1-2 for example) Or they release first mission/episode as a demo.

Nowadays games are shorter than those games (especially shooters, like Aliens having a 5-6H campaign)if they release longer versions mean nearly releasing the whole game. So they only release a little part of it or 1-2 MP map with limited options.

Not really a strictly right option here, it really depends on game.

Nothing is true, everything is permited.

image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100

Well, at least it's Youtube compatible.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I think the DA2 demo went until the Flemeth scene.

One of the primary reasons for doing it was to show the combat differences (one could argue we hurt our sales, but honestly I'd rather have a lost sale with someone going "eh, that game isn't for me" rather than to be caught completely unaware.  Heck, due to preorders we already had people who were disappointed with the change).

The (catastrophic) intro until Flemeth + the somewhat more entertaining Isabela recruiting mission spliced in. Mmm, Isabela...

While I applaud the decision to make the demo, the intro level wasn't exactly the best one Bioware's ever designed (close to the contrary, I'd say), and probably succeeded in turning off a lot of people who might have been on the fence otherwise.

• Like 1

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Now we know for sure why they didn't release a demo for Aliens:CM!!!

http://www.destructoid.com/review-aliens-colonial-marines-244276.phtml

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-12-aliens-colonial-marines-review

Game over man, game over!

Credit list also features Demiurge Studios, of ME1 PC port and, especially, Pinnacle Station fame. *shudder*

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Now we know for sure why they didn't release a demo for Aliens:CM!!!

http://www.destructoid.com/review-aliens-colonial-marines-244276.phtml

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-12-aliens-colonial-marines-review

Game over man, game over!

Credit list also features Demiurge Studios, of ME1 PC port and, especially, Pinnacle Station fame. *shudder*

Oh dear.

I bet Sega wishes it had it's time again. They should of handed it over to the guys that made Binary Domain. Or you know bet on the Aliens RPG.

However while I bemoan the loss of Aliens: Crucible, how different would things be today for Obs if it wasn't cancelled? We might not of got FO:NV or PE.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

To be fair, the ME1 PC port had a better control scheme and interface than the following titles on PC! Of course, it also featured dumb stuff like forgetting to include Garrus' high-res textures, so I couldn't bear to look at his blurry face while playing.

I think the DA2 demo went until the Flemeth scene.

One of the primary reasons for doing it was to show the combat differences (one could argue we hurt our sales, but honestly I'd rather have a lost sale with someone going "eh, that game isn't for me" rather than to be caught completely unaware.  Heck, due to preorders we already had people who were disappointed with the change).

The (catastrophic) intro until Flemeth + the somewhat more entertaining Isabela recruiting mission spliced in. Mmm, Isabela...

While I applaud the decision to make the demo, the intro level wasn't exactly the best one Bioware's ever designed (close to the contrary, I'd say), and probably succeeded in turning off a lot of people who might have been on the fence otherwise.

Mmmmmmm...Isabellaaaaaaaa...those boots and those great pirate tops...mmmmm

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Well, before 2000 many companies release 2-4 hour long shareware versions of their games. (Doom 1-2 for example) Or they release first mission/episode as a demo.

I think demos from the past are a bit overstated personally.  Plenty of super high quality games that I picked up that didn't have demos or shareware versions.

• Like 1

As someone who's played Colonial Marines I have to say it's not as bad as the reviews are making out. It's only an average game sure, but I'm having fun with both the co-op campaign and adversarial multiplayer and I think it is certainly better than AVP2010 in both areas. I can't see it having a lot of longevity (In fact, given how long it already takes to get matches started I expect the game may be pretty dead soon) and I'd definitely advise people not to buy it at full price but this is not the worst game ever made and I believe there is a certain level of bandwagoning going on in addition to valid complaints.

Edited by Serrano

To be fair, IIRC when Crucible was cancelled CM was still the 4 player co-op horror game it was planned to be instead of ...this.

CM is surely one of those interesting stories about cancellations, deadlines, and starting over from scratch that we'll never get to hear. :(

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I think a lot of of the Aliens game was outsourced to a couple other studios or something. I don't know how much tho ... that's sort of conjecture at this point.

I think they outsource a lot of the BL2 DLC's too. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. At any rate, it's too bad the game is being panned so much. It would've been nice to have a decent continuation of the movie story. (I saw the ending of the game, story-wise it's quite terrible, imo).

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts