New Vegas, for my sins

Cantousent

I'm sure Boone misses you.

He's so yesterday. So many handsome 'toons, so little time! ;)

And...at first I couldn't bring myself to kill the lottery winner, but later I did it every time because he began to annoy me. Course, at some point I've killed just about everyone in the game for the lulz. Including Boone. :devil:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I cant remember, is that what Calax looks like in rl?

Sorta kinda. I'm a lot rougher now and a bit chubbier (put on about 50ish lbs from the photo that seems to have been based on).

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

It's the guy you always blast away because he comes running at you in prison gang gear.

No, it's the guy you always blast away because you took the "Four Eyes" trait, and he's wearing the first damned pair of glasses you've seen on a character who you can get away with murdering.

I actually just went back to my Sawyer-mod playthrough a few days ago. I'm about level 17, and currently doing NCR quests with Boone. I'm also trying to decide which order to take the DLCs, but I keep thinking of other little quests or tasks to do first. OWB-first makes the most sense from a gameplay perspective, as it gives stat boosts and access to the Sink. But original-release order is also an option, as doing Dead Money again is probably the bit that I'm most looking forward to.

Edited by Enoch

Guest Slinky

Yep, just arrived to New Vegas myself...

Love the game, but I'm really starting to hate the engine. You can't even move smoothly, it makes these weird ass extra steps all the time.

I need to go back and finish the remainder the main story again and Lonesome Road.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I haven't gotten to any of the dlc yet. I'm pretty much done with Primm in terms of the town, but I seem to recall somehow being able to get quests to take care of the powder gangers. I think I might have messed up by fixing the sherrif robot before I talked to the NCR troops, though. I don't care about the quests, but I'll still go clean out the gangers even if I can't figure out how to trigger the quest line. Slow and stead this run. At least I now have ED to haul crap around for me.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

So far I've liked them all. Dead Money was...interesting. I'm not sure I'd have liked all of the game to be like that, and I may not replay it often in the future, but it was worth doing.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I haven't gotten to any of the dlc yet. I'm pretty much done with Primm in terms of the town, but I seem to recall somehow being able to get quests to take care of the powder gangers. I think I might have messed up by fixing the sherrif robot before I talked to the NCR troops, though. I don't care about the quests, but I'll still go clean out the gangers even if I can't figure out how to trigger the quest line. Slow and stead this run. At least I now have ED to haul crap around for me.

Spoilers:

You've ironically enough got to do a couple of quests for the Gangers, which will give you an opportunity to betray them and side with the NCR when they attack.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I played it through 5 times before the DLCs came out, now I can't make myself do it again. Maybe Sawyermod can help, but VATS really is a load of herp derp crap.

• Like 1

Hate the engine, love the content.

Dead Money for me was perfect, that small contained setting allowing us to examine every individual aspect of characters and narrative in detail. The survival horror aspect that made me feel vulnerable again, along with the scarcity of resources, that's what I call satisfying. Suddenly a stimpack becomes a blessing when found, and a well crafted weapon a tool for survival that you hold dear. That aspect of gaming has been forgotten thanks to the tyranny of cookie cutter loot, that everybody seems to clamour for.

I'd love to see Obsidian tackle an actual horror game, all the time playing through Amnesia I was thinking about what it would be like as an RPG.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

why would you even use VATS? D: I played through the OC twice without it, and did fine. well, if you don't count the crazy amount of reloads when the critical doesn't come through :rolleyes:

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I loved all of the DLC in different ways, Dead Money was really intense and interesting but you can tell they were fighting the engine with the environment and mechanics. OWB had great exploration but the respawning enemies and wacky humour sometimes rubbed me the wrong way, loved the quests though. Lonesome Road's plot did very little for me, I couldn't accept the Courier's new backstory and I was never exactly sure what my motivation was, at least the location was really well designed, I loved hunting for the nukes.

Honest Hearts is probably my favourite DLC, it felt more consistent with the main game and the world was beautifully designed, exploration was nicely rewarded. The quests were solid but I suppose I'd have liked more options in the main quest, I've never done a Legion run but it would have been nice to side with the White Legs.

They're all light years ahead of Bethesda's Fallout 3 DLC though, only Point Lookout rivals them, even the Gun Runner's Arsenal is brilliant, so much thought went into it.

*edit*

As for VATS, I hardly use it in New Vegas, it's more of a last resort :)

Edited by WDeranged

I found Dead Money to be the most satisfying, which is odd, because I generally don't enjoy horror elements in my entertainment. I was something of a nervous wreck for the first third of it, presented with the opportunity (and completionist's compulsion) to explore thoroughly, but punished for taking the time to do so by the constant health drain of the Cloud. However, once I found the recipe to get Stimpaks out of the vending machines, I managed to relax and enjoy the setting and character writing. The radio collar stuff that others found annoying appealed to the puzzle-gamer in me. It made me feel clever for finding the ways to get around obstacles by running along rooflines, etc. (Although it can be fairly criticized for relying on the user adopting a brute-force save-and-reload approach.) And the whole plot arc of the expansion-- the paired stories of the Sierra Madre and Elijah's doomed little undertaking-- was just a pitch-perfect iteration of so many core Fallout themes. It makes for one of the better Fallout-y short stories in the franchise.

I only use VATS if the enemy is right in front of me and I have no chance to hit him regulary in time. Like a "last resort pause mode" or something. For everything that is further away than a few steps I just use iron sights (got crosshair disabled).

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I like Honest Hearts the most out of the DLC, though I wasn't crazy about it when it first came out.

I like that it feels "down-to-earth" which is how I like my Fallout best. I really like the other DLCs also but they are a bit too... crazy overall in terms of concepts for my taste in Fallout, even if they also are extremely well-made. I also think Honest Hearts is really nice to replay and is very well-written... Again, in a bit more down-to-earth way than the other DLCs.

Avellone is probably my favorite writer in gaming but something about his style and my perception of what Fallout should be (hell yeah, my opinion is *important*) doesn't quite mesh.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Honest Hearts is the only DLC I've managed to get around to. Dead Money didn't interest me. Do want to get to the others, they looked appealing...they're all on my HDD already, just haven't gone there.

This thread is making me all nostalgic and stuff. Maybe in the mid-winter I'll try another run. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts