RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS!

Gorth

"how do you know if you like the game without having played it?"

That's the paradox. Afterall, for all I know, I might have really liked a Barbie game I didn't try.

"ave you ever disliked a BioWare game? Off the top of my head I cannot remember if you have or not..."

I've been pretty good avoiding BIO games I likely wouldn't care for. ie. S:RPG, KOTOR MMO, and their 2 early games. I find KOTOR overrated, and SOU passable.

In fact, I buy a higher percentage of Obsidian games (only missed DS3) and Troika (100%). *shrug*

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

The outcome of EA owning a studio is really more predictable than the outcome of stage 4 cancer.

Besides, its time for Bioware to go, they're well past their prime.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor
  • Like 1

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

IMO, killed or assimilated is the same in the end, your soul cease to exist...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

IMO, killed or assimilated is the same in the end, your soul cease to exist...

>Assuming that anyone working in the game industry still has a soul.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Just comparison figures that probably don't mean anything, but out of interest I looked up how long it took other acquired company key personnel to leave post-EA:

Peter Molyneux - 2 years

Chris Roberts - 4 years

Warren Spector - 5 years

Richard Garriott - 8 years

Will Wright - 12 years

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

video-game-memes-papea-kills-off-developers.jpg

Maxis wasn't killed, just fully assimilated. Same now will happen to BioWare.

A fate worse than death?

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

In all seriousness, I do wonder how much the two co-founders leaving will affect the BioWare division and its voice in which games or what direction those games takes.

While EA were the ultimate "bosses", at least Muzyka and Zeschuk in their roles on the EA board (or whatever title they had) could act as a bit of a buffer, and could advocate for their company. Now, who is on the board or who is in any sort of position high up in EA's chain of command to even speak on BioWare's behalf?

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

EA has been pulling it's titles from Steam recently in favor of Origin... which is trash.

Seriously, when it looses connection to the internet, it starts eating my processor for lunch.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Neverwinter Nights 2 (I don't know if the original was too) has been removed from all digital plattforms.

The original is still on GoG, so it looks like NWN2 was the only one to vanish.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Neverwinter Nights 2 (I don't know if the original was too) has been removed from all digital plattforms.

Edit: Did this happen a while ago? Never noticed.

Yes, it happened a while ago. Seemingly during the Atari-Hasbro license transition. It stayed up at Steam longer than other places.

Strangely, if I'm recalling this correctly, places like Gamersgate got it back. Then they lost it again.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Edit: Did this happen a while ago? Never noticed.

I think it was a while ago.. when I noticed it (a month ago or so?) and posted about it here I've been told that it's been like that for a while.

Still on Gamersgate in the complete pack :

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-DDNWNC/dungeons-and-dragons-neverwinter-nights-complete

Gamersgate was for a long time the only place to have NWN2 as a DD, being smaller than Steam they're generally more flexible.

Some of the D&D stuff definitely disappeared from there when the roll over of the rights happened. All they've done now is change the listed publisher from Atari to WOTC, even the copyright and disclaimer text is the same as previous. The only place that kept all games (that they had) available throughout was GOG, albeit they simply do not have NWN2 at all.

Bioware purchase + cost of TOR got to be over a billion dollars total! That's has to be the biggest financial disaster in gaming history. No wonder heads have to roll.

I'm not quite sure what you are getting at here. While both the Bioware purchase and TOR were very expensive for EA, both have also generated a lot of money. It is less clear how profitable they are compared to the investment, but there haven't been any big bombs. The Mass Effect and Dragon Age games have sold well, and TOR sold like hotcakes out of the gate. TOR has struggled since, but it is still a very active property for EA and Bioware, and isn't exactly closing down yet.

But there's not a snowflake's chance in hell of them ever making their investment back.

Given that they don't release any of the financials, it's very hard for any of us to say that. We don't really know what they sunk into the project, we don't know what the current operating costs are, and we don't know what they are making every month. If they have half a million subscribers, which has been rumored, that is still a pretty solid amount of income coming in. We know that they cut back on staff, but the game is still being worked on heavily, so it isn't dead yet. The big test will be if they can generate income off their free to play model.

It clearly hasn't met expectations, that much was evidenced by the layoffs. But it also didn't bomb, which is evidenced by the huge initial sales. Right now they need to do whatever they can to maintain subs, but until it is clear they have failed to do that, we don't have a clear picture here.