STEAM!

Gorth

I'm a pretty good judge of what games I'll enjoy, so more often I'll be picking them up on release. (It helps that there aren't many that pass my judgment.) I'd rather play BG2 again, and have more fun with it, than pick up a game I only sort-of-enjoy for $5. So each year I only pick up two or three games on sale, usually older titles I'd missed. This year it was Caesar 3 and KOTOR2, both for convenience of digital copies.

FNV is what finally had me install/use Steam. For a very long time that's all I had on Steam. :p

It's been interesting, however, how for me personally, the less dedicated/interested I am in gaming as a whole, the more willing I am to purchase on Steam.....especially in terms of the uber sales....probably because I care less and less about whether I will finish a game, let alone whether I can (potentially) replay a game years from now. If that makes sense. So $5-10, less than a pizza, with instant gratification (no driving to a store) why not. That said....not much appeals during this Xmas sale for me either.

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm a pretty good judge of what games I'll enjoy, so more often I'll be picking them up on release. (It helps that there aren't many that pass my judgment.) I'd rather play BG2 again, and have more fun with it, than pick up a game I only sort-of-enjoy for $5. So each year I only pick up two or three games on sale, usually older titles I'd missed. This year it was Caesar 3 and KOTOR2, both for convenience of digital copies.

I've only bought XCOM, and that wasn't even directly from Steam. I bought KOTOR2 during the Autumn sale because I wanted a digital copy. So, 2 games bought during the last two sales.

Well Assassin's Creed 3 Deluxe Edition is now on sale for half of what I paid a week ago. God damn it.

:facepalm:

Well I've picked up:

Dead Rising 2 for $5(seemed a bit more up my alley than Dead Island afterall)

Mass Effect 2 for $5, just to have in digi format

Resident Evil 5 for $6

Max Payne 3 for $15

and a few weeks ago, the Witcher 2 for $7.50

Got some gaming to do..........

I'd rather play BG2 again, and have more fun with it, than pick up a game I only sort-of-enjoy for $5.

i generally agree with you, BUT

sometimes you spend $5 on a game that you think will only be sort of fun, and it turns out to be really great and surprisingly worthwhile. I picked up mark of the ninja on a whim, and ended up loving it, same as red faction guerilla a few years ago

so for only $5 i think its worth gambling "ok i probably wont be that into this, but you never know, and it's only $5 so what the heck i'll give it a try"

most of the time i buy a game for that cheap price and end up playing it for less than 2 hours before uninstalling, but i think it's worth the gamble overall considering the possible benefits

of course, i'm very genre omnivorous, so its more likely for me to find a "worth it" game than it might be for someone else

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Funny, it almost looks like I've bought the most games over this sales period out of anyone here. Got Inquisitor and The Real Texas off GOG; BG1&2, Colonization and Botanicula off GG and I will get Eador (albeit not on sale) plus MoM and King of Dragon Pass at least off GOG before their sale ends. Of course, none of those cost more than $5 and BG2 was free...

You could have registered your key on Origin to get a digital copy, no need to rebuy.

Funny, it almost looks like I've bought the most games over this sales period out of anyone here. Got Inquisitor and The Real Texas off GOG; BG1&2, Colonization and Botanicula off GG and I will get Eador (albeit not on sale) plus MoM and King of Dragon Pass at least off GOG before their sale ends. Of course, none of those cost more than $5 and BG2 was free...

You could have registered your key on Origin to get a digital copy, no need to rebuy.

:facepalm:

Yeah, I discovered that a while ago. Even my old copy of Dead Space could be registered there and downloaded rather than reading from scratchy old DVDs :)

I've redeemed a lot of games on Steam, but trying to think of games actually bought through Steam these holiday sales (well, Ok, the last 2 months)...

Jade Empire

Elemental: Fallen Enchantress

Endless Space - Emperor Special Edition

Air Conflicts Pacific Carriers

Air Conflicts: Secret War

Orcs Must Die 2 - Complete Pack

King's Bounty: Warriors of the North

Most of them on heavily discounted sales (I cheated and peeked at my account page).

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Worth it, do you think? I'm disappointed they won't actually get a move on with KB2. Loved Legend & AP but didn't try Crossworlds.

How are Fallen Enchantress and Warriors of the North? I've thought about getting them but just can't take the plunge

Worth it, do you think? I'm disappointed they won't actually get a move on with KB2. Loved Legend & AP but didn't try Crossworlds.

I'll tell you guys once I find the time to actually play them :blush:

I tried both briefly and seemed like great games (always subject to taste, I like my turn based combat, thank you very much). Warriors of the North is like an improved version of Armored Princess (disclaimer - no idea how the campaign pans out if played in full) and Fallen Enchantress looked very promising what little I managed to dig into it (not a lot, so take with a sack of salt, not enough play time to get a feel for balance, challenge etc.).

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Crossworlds wasn't exactly a campaign though, was it? Just arena mode, and new enemies in the original campaigns or something like that?

At least Warriros of the North is a new campaign. Thanks for pointing it out Gorth, just got it myself.

Also, I got Kotor 1 & 2 (for my wife to play) and the D&D pack on GOG, containing nine games (not counting expansions). Of course I really only wanted BG1 & 2, but still.

Crossworlds is not worth your money or time, imo. Arena mode, but the battles aren't even fun.

How are Fallen Enchantress and Warriors of the North? I've thought about getting them but just can't take the plunge

I'll tell you guys once I find the time to actually play them :blush:

I tried both briefly and seemed like great games (always subject to taste, I like my turn based combat, thank you very much). Warriors of the North is like an improved version of Armored Princess (disclaimer - no idea how the campaign pans out if played in full) and Fallen Enchantress looked very promising what little I managed to dig into it (not a lot, so take with a sack of salt, not enough play time to get a feel for balance, challenge etc.).

Bah! By that time the sale shall be over! You're dead to me. Dead!

Meh. I imagine a -75% sale will come for it sometime next year.

I got most of what I wanted in the autumn sale, but snagged the Monkey Island Spec. Ed. pack, Tropico 4, and LA Noire this go. Almost snagged Civ V, but wasn't quite ready to drop 13 bucks on the GotY edition. Civ IV was just so much better. Hopefully Civ VI will continue the trend and the even numbered ones will be the good ones.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

The real tragedy there is Assassins Creed 3 itself.

:p

I've just started chapter 8 and I've not seen anything so far that is bad about AC3 that isn't optional like those blasted feather missions. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Ubisoft really have to get off their formula and try to be more original. Maybe It's the way maps and landmarks work, climp a radio tower (Farcry) and get the Assassin's Creedtm pan and icons pop up on the map that tell you exactly what to do when you get there. There are never any surprises. Rinse and repeat 200 times.

I was actually kinda interested in seeing how the expected twist in Farcry 3 was going to play out but I couldn't take anymore sameyness.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.