Diablo 3 Sign-Up

I have got to get me some uber gear for the Templar (with lots life and resists), so I can punt this mouthy Enchantress off a cliff. ;)

Diablo3-000143.jpg

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Level 60 at last. Yay!

Tigs loaned me his Belt of Win and all of a sudden I'm just a teeny bit awesome :sorcerer:

Great, we can do some Nephalem Valor runs. Or try inferno and die in an inferno.

My barb is 49 and it's annoying trying to get him up to 50 to get into hell, so you'll have the belt for a while longer.

I just killed the big boss after spider chick in Act III Hell (see how I keep up with the D3 lore?) and got two uniques with Nephalim Valour 5.

They were 'almost useful but not quite' as opposed to 'completely crap.'

Off to the AH with them! Go!

Edited by Monte Carlo

sonsofgygax.JPG

Just discovered I get 900 ping on my superfast Korean internet for some reason, maybe the US servers?

:rage:

Finally got my Monk's MF up to 162% (including Valor). Makes quite a bit of difference (from having only 75-100%) when farming Act1/Inferno. Can't keep it all on for Act2 tho, sadly. All I need is a 700dps weapon and I might feel comfy moving on to Act3... but I can't find one and certainly can't "afford" one. Either I'll get lucky soon or it's going to take a long time....

Just discovered I get 900 ping on my superfast Korean internet for some reason, maybe the US servers?

:rage:

Ouch. I start to cry if ping in games moves towards 250-300.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Finally got my Monk's MF up to 162% (including Valor). Makes quite a bit of difference (from having only 75-100%) when farming Act1/Inferno. Can't keep it all on for Act2 tho, sadly. All I need is a 700dps weapon and I might feel comfy moving on to Act3... but I can't find one and certainly can't "afford" one. Either I'll get lucky soon or it's going to take a long time....

You sure you can't afford one? AH Prices have been dropping like hell (on EU at least), and you should be able to afford one like that with <200,000 easily.

Also, found both of these in Act 1:

Clipboard01.jpgClipboard02.jpg

So... just keep grinding. :p

Edited by MrBrown

Yeah, I recently bought a 782 DPS Spear for 300k and my overall DPS jumped like 3500 points. Also massaged my build a bit by dropping the rune that gave me 50% more armor on the third punch and adding Foresight, which grants 18% more DPS for 30 seconds after the third punch. Thats currently adding ~3000 DPS also so it really makes a difference and keeps scaling with your gear.

You sure you can't afford one? AH Prices have been dropping like hell (on EU at least), and you should be able to afford one like that with <200,000 easily.

Try finding one that has: +200 (or more) VIT, +150 (or more) Dex, 440 Life-On-Hit (preferably more), and has a socket (crit. damage gem). Because that's what my 550dps Fist has. My 2nd weapon also has 120VIT, 130dex, 400 on hit, 95% crit damage (attribute+gem in socket). So basically I need weapons that will at least come close to replacing those stats, or make it up on other gear.

900 dps weapons alone DO NOT raise my combat dps if I lose the Dex, and crit. hit damage. I've tried that already. If I put one on, my overall dps DROPS by about 2000.

P.S. "% Converted to Life" is almost useless in Inferno to melee, btw. That 2.9% gets reduced by some large percentage (Inferno penalty) and thus Life on Hit = more.

P.P.S. - on US weapons like I need/want are going for multi-millions. I sold an 840dps, 600 life-on-hit WD Knife, that had no other attributes on it, for two million, to give you an idea. And I still can't buy a Fist or Sword that would suit my needs. :p Life on Hit is expensive.

Edited by LadyCrimson

Here. This is more like what I see:

http://crimsonkeep.com/wallpapers/data/media/128/D3-items-GAH-004.jpg (most results won't have high VIT or crit. dmg as attribute)

http://crimsonkeep.com/wallpapers/data/media/128/D3-items-GAH-001.jpg (most results won't have sockets)

Note there aren't very many, either.

Edit: Also, 2H weapons on a Monk suck, imo. They're not only very slow, but a shield or 2nd weapon for the stats is much much better. And armor with 3-digit VIT/DEX+Resist All (and preferably sockets too) etc. is also in the millions.

Edited by LadyCrimson

i feel like 2 handed weapons in general need to be altered. they should do more damage, shields should provide more defense, choosing between a 1 or a 2 handed weapon should be a difficult, meaningful choice to make

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

i feel like 2 handed weapons in general need to be altered. they should do more damage, shields should provide more defense, choosing between a 1 or a 2 handed weapon should be a difficult, meaningful choice to make

To be fair, D2 had this problem to a degree as well. A sorc orb+shield was always going to beat using a 2H staff, for example. But at least using a 2H staff was a decently viable option if one wanted to play that way. I think most complaints are going to be about how Inferno's difficulty/how they make it difficult creates a situation where players feel they must do this, must have that, in order to survive...thus killing diversity/strategy.

And I don't understand why they put "random attributes" on Legendaries. Their drop rate is abysmal to begin with, and then when one does drop, 95% of the time the random roll on the item will suck...even to the point you can't give it away on the AH. Really sucks the life out of farming for kewl loot. ie, a Legendary staff for the Monk should not spawn with strength and intelligence....not the way the game is geared to main-stat+VIT at the moment. D2 had it right, imo...Uniques with static stats, but those stats could come in a range (the excitement of actually finding a "perfect" unique).

All the stats should have had larger bonuses, giving all classes more incentive to use gear that has those stats. eg, STR increased block percentage by a bit, when you have a shield equipped, or something, so stacking it higher, trading a little dps/health for it, would be theoretically helpful. Or something.

The patch - and a lot of extra MF - did make farming a bit more "fun," but at the moment I'm mostly killing time until I can try Torchlight2. :)

i think its weird how many steps back from diablo 2 there have been in part 3. some elements are definitely way better, but a lot of design decisions are very very odd

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I ragequit yesterday on inferno, playing with gfted (who has a badass monk). My Barb is so squishy it's not true, and I ain't got time to farm and play AH economics. This is one reason why for me D3's replayability is limited. The current obsession with microtransactional profit models is damaging games.

sonsofgygax.JPG

It's different to D1 and D2. There are no real skill trees to speak of, just passive, offensive and defensive skills that you can alter with 'Runes.' All of these unlock at different levels. So at level sixty your character has access to all the skills. The secret is how you configure those skills with your equipment for optimal DPS / armour / HP and resistances.

So, technically, all characters are equal. Once you've built one level sixty barbarian there's no real need to build another --- because you'd still have access to the main skills. I suppose most non-addicted players might get two, maybe even three different classes maxed out before (a) they get bored (b) beat inferno in a group and / or (c ) the XP / DLC comes out.

sonsofgygax.JPG

This may sound like dumbing down, but I actually like the new stat system a lot more. Beside, everyone was spending their attribute points in D1/2 always the same way anyway, so the change in D3 isn't a big loss.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

This may sound like dumbing down, but I actually like the new stat system a lot more. Beside, everyone was spending their attribute points in D1/2 always the same way anyway, so the change in D3 isn't a big loss.

Yeah, I'd say that was a fair summary for me too.

sonsofgygax.JPG

It doesn't change anything re:stats tho. People still do exactly the same thing. One stat+VIT. Except now you get it all from your items. Actually, it's even worse, because now you don't even have to use stats to wear gear, so the emphasis is even more on 2-3 "stats" than it ever was before. eg, everyone still builds their stats exactly the same way.

Basically, people who never liked to "redo/replay" the game to try out different skills are going to like D3's method better. People who did like to replay the game to try new things are going to dislike it, because it kills any motivation to replay the game and thus you're left with a MMO-like endgame of....nothing. :p

Edited by LadyCrimson

Well, I'm on Lexx' side. Everyone in D2 was using the same cookie cutter builds because one mess up meant you couldn't compete and had to start over. Only dedicated theorycrafters (a rounded down 0% of the games' player base) would take the risk. Minmaxing is not gameplay.

I "messed up" plenty of characters in D1 and D2 and kept going. They all did fine and beat Hell difficult etc. People often exaggerate the extent misplacing a few stat points "gimps" their character, so I consider using that excuse almost as lame as ppl with uber min/maxing obsessions. :p

That said, I do understand that not everyone has time/enjoys replaying to rebuild repeatedly. At my current age/place in time, I don't enjoy it as much as I used to....but I do still like having the choice/motivation to do so, if I wish.

Edited by LadyCrimson

Well, I'm on Lexx' side. Everyone in D2 was using the same cookie cutter builds because one mess up meant you couldn't compete and had to start over. Only dedicated theorycrafters (a rounded down 0% of the games' player base) would take the risk. Minmaxing is not gameplay.

I disagree. ONLY the online people were doing the same stuff, and by online I mean the official battle.net players. Everyone else had different builds because on LAN and otherwise, we all wanted to try different things. I've never played HELL in D2, but I had over a dozen, maybe over 2 dozen characters and NONE of them were the same. Different stats, different skill allocations.

The problem was that they only took input from the WoW and the official online battle.net players instead of also considering the input from the millions who didn't play strictly on battle.net in their crafting and creation of Diablo 3. There were far more players who did NOT do the cookie cutter idea, and didn't even play on the official battle.net online then those who did. Many of these could care less about the optimal build and such, they were interested in variety and different ideas.

I created characters manytimes as hardcore simply for the fun to see how far I could get if I made it with certain skill sets.

Thinking everyone created the same character with the same basic skills and stats in D2 is probably one of the first mistakes they created in the D3. They appeased many of their fans who played on Battle.net...but much of the rage you saw was from those who were NOT battle.net players, failing to consider how they played and what they wanted was probably Blizzard's mistake on that front.

Counting on them to contribute sales to their RMT and AH were also mistakes, and part of the reason why I think they overestimated how much they would make over D3's lifetime on those portions of the program. These were not people that were inclined to put a whole lot of value over offical non-hacked, non-cheating online experiences in the first place, and were unlikely to be drawn into it even with all the incentive (or the big push Blizz put in D3) to force them to group into online groups for an extended duration over the intial release of the game.

IMO of course.

Edited by greylord

@greylord - what they've done, essentially - imo - is to remove what little "rpg" element the Diablo games had and turned it into a 3rd person action game only. Now, I'd be the first person to say calling the Diablo's RPG's is a pretty big stretch, but the key for me there is that at least it had some sense of *me* having control of my character's progression and development, via stats and skill choices. I had the pleasure of feeling like *I* controlled how the chr. developed, to some degree at least. There are still skill choices in D2 (the runes) but it's nowhere near the same kind of choice/control/decision feeling as before. It's very distanced. Thus instead of wanting to replay the game dozens of times, for months or years (farming gear for all those characters too) you play it 1-3 times, try all the rune options in a day or three, and then get bored because there's nothing else to motivate/do.

So instead of a long-life, "action-rpg" hack slash romp game, you get a short-life action game...basically like 98% of other action titles out there that have little replay value even if they're great fun the first time through.

GameSpy had an opinion article on the topic here: Opinion: Diablo 3 Isn't an Action RPG

Edited by LadyCrimson

I agree with basically everything grey lord said, and crimson too