What are you playing now?

Did you mean to post this in "What you did today"? Because it doesn't seem that game related. :) But sounds cool ...

I'm currently playing Saints Row 3 and Civ 5 .. both ok, civ 5 is growing on me though.

Fortune favors the bald.

Eh I'm playing at being a writer, and taking a break from games for now, but if you think I'm being distractingly off topic with my progress updates I'll stop :)

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I had been playing Might and Magic 7 a fair bit for about two to three weeks, it was more fun than any game with as questionable balance, encounter design (or lack thereof), interface issues and terrible visuals (even compared to its peers from a similar vintage) has any right to be. In the end I had to put it away near the end (as so often happens to RPGs for me) because it kind of devolved into mindless blaster spam against hordes of thousand-hp foes. That said, I three weeks is a far cry from the perhaps 30-60 minutes I put into it back in the 20th century (and about 5-6 hours into MM6). Haven't had the motivation to pick up anything else since then, unfortunately.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

36,000 words, i think i'm about half finished, but the latter half might move a lot faster than the first half, so it could end up being only around 60k words when finished

Dude, that's a big novella. Aim for 80,000, 75K at least.

Edit: If you don't most agents will be handing you a bumper blister pack of WTF tablets.

Edited by Monte Carlo

sonsofgygax.JPG

Hmmmm I'll keep that in mind then, probably will go back on the 2nd draft and add a couple more chapters to flesh out the middle some more. I'd read that several notable books were only 50k words: stardust, the road, hit hikers guide to galaxy etc

Of course my project is garbage compared to those, so maybe 80k of garbage is more palatable to the modern publisher :)

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

A strong literary novel can be fairly short, The Road is a good example.

For crime / thrillers the reader, not unreasonably, wants some bang for their buck. Don't get me started on sci-fi / fantasy, where a 100K word count is completely standard as a starter for ten.

My first book went in at about 120K words, agent told me to carve it back to 90-odd, which I did. That was a near miss with several mainstream publishers. The next went in at about 85K and it's with two publishers who like it and are considering it.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like there are hard and fast rules (typically a novella is less than 50K, there you go that is a rule) but if you submit 60K it needs to be very original and tighter than a swan's arse plotwise.

Good luck. Will happily take a look at the first three chapters for you if you PM me. An agent will look at the first five hundred words if you're lucky.

sonsofgygax.JPG

thanks monte, don't be surprised if I take you up on that offer in a few months after i've had time to finish my first and 2nd draft :)

Freedom Force.

Dangit, it's hard to play with the Steam issues freaking over your pathing. You can somewhat help it by immediately left-clicking, but it still often leads to destroying structures instead of jumping them, having to select a hint or NPC 5 times before the text is spoken.

The worst is that you cannot pick up and throw things (unless you don't have to move to your target, extremely rare), since left-click immediately throws it. Blown up myself more than once doing that, so no more damage from the environment done by me...

Of course, this makes the game arbitrarily more difficuly. Guess that's what one gets for playing a 10 year old game gotten for $2 from Steam...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Galactic Civilizations II

Picked it up on Steam because I had a craving for more GalCiv and never played Twilight of Arnor. I own half the galaxy even though I don't have any combat ships. And the reason for that is because everyone keeps surrendering to me. Nobody likes me, but I guess they hate each other far worse.

It keeps freaking me out. I'm just playing along, not at war with anyone, minding my own business, when I get messages about improvements being destroyed. "Wait, what? Why are my improvements getting destroyed?" "Hold on a second, I don't even own that planet, that's halfway across the galaxy from my region." Then I click through all the popups. BAM, my civilization has now tripled in size.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I tried to play Divine Divinity, but I can't get the game to work properly. It works fine for a few minutes, then everything slows down, and it starts to stutter like hell. I'll get back to it someday, but I'll focus on NWN2 and Planescape for now.

Just finished the Sniper Elite V2 demo.

Head-shotting Nazis at 200 metres with my Springfield is very good fun, especially with the physics engine taking into account heart-rate and windage. The anatomically correct and very gory bullet-cam is another gruesome addition.

It looks nice, there's lots of stealth involved as well as hosing Fritz down with your MP40. Think I'll get the full version.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Not playing much at all lately, I'm mostly reading the Game of Thrones books and messing with guitars but I do mean to pick up my NWN2 game and push through to MOTB, I think I'll be turning the combat down to derp level though, it becomes pretty tiring on the hardcore d&d mode and I want a fair chance to get hooked into the story.

Just started E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy. Haven't gotten really far yet but I noticed early on that there's a lot of skills, and the age-old RPG question of "what small handful of these will be truly useful?" came to mind.

Not playing much at all lately, I'm mostly reading the Game of Thrones books and messing with guitars but I do mean to pick up my NWN2 game and push through to MOTB, I think I'll be turning the combat down to derp level though, it becomes pretty tiring on the hardcore d&d mode and I want a fair chance to get hooked into the story.

I tried to like NWN OT's plot but it was really just plain average (though the trial event was p. nice). MOTB on the other hand is a treat.

Edited by Syraxis

Galactic Civilization 2. Just had a Diplomatic Victory. Started off evil, went neutral with Xeno Tech, allied up, and kicked evil off the map. Good guys kicked themselves off pretty early.

I'm kind of surprised it went down so easily. I didn't have to blow up any suns! I really wanted to blow up a sun. :( Everyone starts surrendering when the Terror Star enters their territory.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Diablo III. I played with this guy who has a Barbarian, and that Barbarian saved my behind several times. I went into the AH after we were done playing and found weapons that upped my DMG by 1100 points. Had to pay 150k for both weapons, but it doesn't matter as long as you sell stuff yourself. First time I spent that much money, because I usually don't wait for the gold to pile up.

Edited by Labadal

As I'll most likely be once again going through a video card RMA (2nd straight fan that started going all clicky within a couple months), I'll soon be switching temporarily to the basement computer. So I think I'm going to take a shot at New Vegas again, with Sawyer's mod installed. Thus, I ask: anybody have UI mod recommendations?

As I'll most likely be once again going through a video card RMA (2nd straight fan that started going all clicky within a couple months), I'll soon be switching temporarily to the basement computer. So I think I'm going to take a shot at New Vegas again, with Sawyer's mod installed. Thus, I ask: anybody have UI mod recommendations?

DarnUI + oHUD.

Still trekking my way through the Mojave. Getting to the point where I always start to lose focus in sand box games, and have to remind myself to start doing quests instead of just running around trying to find as many landmarks as possible.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)