What you did today

Tale

sigh... i started with such high hopes for this.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

My novel work's been pretty disappointing. I had the entire outline planned for possibly several novels. Then realized the only character I really had fleshed out was a B plot character. That'd be a terrific novel.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

you must have a really terrible job

It's Mcdonalds... Right now you'll probably earn more per hour just writing that book than I ever would.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

the opinion is 65 pages long though, and i didnt read all of it. maybe one of the other lawyers on this board will?

I considered it, but then I decided I'd do something that I care more about, like watch Italy kick Germany's butt.

I don't want to imagine a world where I would enjoy watching soccer more than I would enjoy analysis of a complex, high-profile legal opinion.

Perhaps working a legal job you hate in a different country that already has universal healthcare would suffice. ;)

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

It could be an edited series, then you guys could have your own little stand-by stall thing in bookstores, like those softcore books, what d'you call them, Mills & Boon.

Settled into my apartment for next 2 years in the heart of Seoul, all very nice but this insistence with apartments really kills you in the summer heat.

I'm still at ten thousand words but my little notebook is almost full of plotting and stuff... I do it on the train into work.

My friend Entrerix might choose to do that before he even starts hammering away at the keyboard. Your brain is full, your notes are in front of you at it gets a lot easier. And it's taken me almost three years to figure this out, despite it being Piece Of Advice Number One in every book on writing you are likely to read.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Except this one. Number one piece of advice? Actually have a plot.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

the thing is, the "plot", isnt really a plot, i just followed the characters and wrote what they did, and what they did ended up getting them dragged down into some tunnels...

sometimes i plan out plots ahead of time, but in this case, i just wanted to start writing and see what happened next. about halfway through i kinda saw where things were headed, and wrote out a loose outline of what each character would probably do next, and what the repercussions of that decision would be, leading... into some tunnels

there is not really a "plot" , no "bad guy". im pretty sure i may be 80% finished with the worlds worst novel.

edit: ok there is a "bad guy" but the characters never meet him, so he is not actually in the book. like, he exists, but has no real presence, only the people who facilitate his wishes show up. and the only one of them that i bothered giving a name to is already dead. so yeah...

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I sold that property I bought in Covington today. I was never going to do anything with it anyway. I just don't have time. I had it for a year and only visited it twice. I didn't make much off of it but at least I walked away with something.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I learned how a big explosion sounds, and how it smells. Oh God, the smell. A truck exploded close to the area I live in. Smoke everywhere, and I very much doubt the smoke was healthy. It also blocked traffic to and from our area, since it's the only road in and out for vehicles. I almost crapped my pants, but luckily I was already in the toilet. Oh, and no one was hurt.

Not far from that explosion, there was a car accident, with 6 people in the cars. Also no serious injuries. I've lived here for 25 years, and this was the first time things were this chaotic.

Hubs has been trying to repair/fix up an old 10speed bike he got from someone, and maybe fix up my very ancient 10speed as well. We bought a couple hybrid mountain/street bikes 15 years ago or so, but neither of us really liked them that much in the long run. Not to mention, quality new bicycles have become really expensive these days.

The old 10-speeds from the late 70's/early 80's (skinny tires, low curved hand grip/bars) are still my favorite casual/street biking bicycle. All the new fangled weird bicycle designs turns me off for some reason and definitely not into "off road/mountain" bike designs. They often aren't comfortable either. Anyway...maybe we can get these old ones in working order and like bicycling again. Might be nice.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

They put crappy gears on all new bikes. 7 gears and none of them a high gear for when you are already at speed. I had to get my new bike souped up and I'm still not completely happy about it. My dad's old 3 speed was the best I had so far. I don't want to have 10 speeds and be chaning gears constantly, I just want 5 that actually make sense.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

56,000 words. i think its gonna end up around 65-70k, im nearing the home stretch on my 1st draft

the thing is, the "plot", isnt really a plot, i just followed the characters and wrote what they did

Again, this is Ray Bradbury territory and there's nothing wrong with it... as long as the characters are interesting enough to magically radiate plot as they go along.

and what they did ended up getting them dragged down into some tunnels...

I'd buy that for a dollar [/robocop]

sometimes i plan out plots ahead of time, but in this case, i just wanted to start writing and see what happened next. about halfway through i kinda saw where things were headed, and wrote out a loose outline of what each character would probably do next, and what the repercussions of that decision would be, leading... into some tunnels

It always comes back to tunnels. It's where it's at. If, say, Transformers 2 had been set in a tunnel it would have been significantly less crap. Wuthering Heights would have been awesome had it been set underground. and, no, I'm not Austrian.

there is not really a "plot" , no "bad guy". im pretty sure i may be 80% finished with the worlds worst novel.

Yup. Please send me the first three chapters and a synopsis. Being terrible is no barrier to commercial success. Fifty Shades of Grey is making millions. That started, FFS, as Twilight fanfic...

edit: ok there is a "bad guy" but the characters never meet him, so he is not actually in the book. like, he exists, but has no real presence, only the people who facilitate his wishes show up. and the only one of them that i bothered giving a name to is already dead. so yeah...

Seriously, you are Mike Creighton's cryogenically preserved brain and I claim my ten dollars.

I am up to a paltry 12000 words but am over the hump and gathering pace. I'm always like this, I scrabble away at the... hymen of my plot (eeewwww) then BAM! I'm through and it's easy after that.

Cheers

MC

Edited by Monte Carlo

sonsofgygax.JPG

lol, just talking about it helps keep me focused. I didnt get as much done this weekend as I'd intended, but i'm now at 58,500 words.

Here's a motivational quote "No thinking - that comes later. You must write your first draft with your heart. You rewrite with your head. The first key to writing is... to write, not to think!"

"Finding Forrester" has probably given me more advice on writing that any English Lit. class.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Wrong team won.

Now at work, major headache and some sort of high pressure pump outside, it's like a hangover from hell without drinking.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I was at the Peace & Love festival for the entire week. Got home yesterday. So.. I have the hangover from hell with drinking.

Being constantly drunk for four days straight even makes your toes hungover.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Trying to break in this new ergonomic chair, think it's this crappy desk that's the problem - another project to find one, heh. But at least have the day off, heat wave coming in here as next few days its > 30 C before humidity.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

So, perhaps you've heard of that surprise line of storms that rolled through the eastern U.S. last Friday? Yeah. Not fun.

At about 10:30 Friday night, we had massive wind gusts, followed by more typical summer thunderstorm fare. Several sizeable limbs were knocked out of our neighbor's enormous ginkgo tree. One of those limbs broke my roof. Well, not the main roof. Our dining room kind of sticks out of the side of the house, and it has a metal roof over it (as opposed to the slate roof up top). The branch broke through the metal and the wooden planks underneath it, opening up a hole into the insulation layer (but not through the interior ceiling).

Shortly after that, our power went out. It stayed out for two full days, until 11 PM last night. Those two days happened to be two of the hottest days of the year-- temperatures breaking the 100F (38C) mark. On Saturday morning, we cleaned up the tree limbs, and I tacked some heavy-duty tar paper I had lying around up over the hole. In general, we spent the weekend sweating, hanging out in the basement, and chatting with neighbors. We also drove around, trying to find places to sell us ice, to let us hang out in AC, and to let us charge our phones. (I never bothered to buy a car charger for this phone-- I figured I'd never need one, as I don't commute by car and most errands are within a 15 min drive.) The Public Library was great for these last two points.

Oh, and just to add insult to injury, I seem to be allergic to ginkgo fruit. The tree that violated our house is a fruit-bearing ginkgo, and an awful lot of its underripe fruit were dropped in our lawn and gutters by the storm. As those fruits tend to rot and smell terrible, we raked them and bagged them up yesterday morning. Normally, they fall around November, and I'm wearing pants and long sleeves when we clean them up. After doing so yesterday in shorts and a t-shirt, I now have an itchy red rash that reminds me very much of a mild poison ivy scattered about my forearms, calves, neck, and face (the latter two areas from wiping sweat away, I guess).

wow that sounds just terrible... I hope the repair process goes smoothly!