What you did today

Tale

I'm just starting to get a smooth,(somewhat) consistent swing down pat.

Now my problem seems to be my aim and alignment. I naturally tend to square my shoulders to the target, but my foot position is always way right.

It'll give me something to work on at the driving range.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

moving my updates to this forum as its slightly closer to being on-topic

currently at 41,000 words, im going to try and write 6-8 hours a day this weekend and see if i can't finish this first draft by the end of next week, then i go on vacation for 6 days, and when i get back i can hopefully look at the whole thing with fresh eyes and begin the editing process

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I am at a grand total of 7000 words.... ta-daahhhhh!!!

But I too have a weekend free for writing. Luckily I have made lots of notes for a change and the plotting is done. It's filling in the gaps.

If I'm up to 20,000 words by Sunday I will be happy, that's 25% done. Still waiting on a US publisher at the moment about my other tome.

sonsofgygax.JPG

No, I have a day job. I only started writing two years ago and I've had an agent for six months.

I'm in my early 40's and if I play my cards right and all my financial ducks are lined up properly I reckon I can give writing full-time a go in about five years, as a second career.

I'm learning that (a) female readers are *very* important and (b) so is America. Like I say, I want to be a commercial writer to that's where I think my writing is heading.

sonsofgygax.JPG

i have a pretty cushy day job that earns me a decent wage, so for me writing is strictly a hobby, for now. I'm 29 and didnt really start writing at all until i was finished with law school and then i got married and had some life stuff getting in the way, but now im a bit more settled and am starting to dig in.

i figure i'll have to write 3-4 books before i finish anything good enough to be publishable though. I do worry that my current project is too stupid for adults but not exciting enough for kids.

my first book i tried editing as i went, but that caused me to start second guessing myself so much that i got bogged down in the first half of the book, then changed my mind about the ending 10x and then just put it away. a learning experience, and now i know that i just need to move through my first draft like a shark and then i'll worry about editing and polishing later

i'll probably have to rewrite a few chapters though, because my characters changed a bit from how i originally envisioned them

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

God, I love my black cat. The way he stands up on hind legs, giving me a belly "hug" while I scratch his chin. Or when I'm doing the dishes and suddenly there's paws patting/grabbing me on the back....it's just so adorable/endearing, even with the belly/back scratches sometimes. On some days, it's what makes life tolerable.

When my sister-in-law saw him do it, she said "that is one huge cat." lol. He is the awesome.

Whatever your pet of choice, they are definitely a great anti-depressant sometimes.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

my first book i tried editing as i went, but that caused me to start second guessing myself so much that i got bogged down in the first half of the book, then changed my mind about the ending 10x and then just put it away. a learning experience, and now i know that i just need to move through my first draft like a shark and then i'll worry about editing and polishing later

Most people are like this. I'm lucky, I suspect. I'm able to edit in tranches as I go. I suspect you aren't a big fan of tight plotting, which is why you lose focus as you write. It's perfectly normal --- we write the way we write but it's a craft and there are some rules.

i'll probably have to rewrite a few chapters though, because my characters changed a bit from how i originally envisioned them

Warning bells are going off. There are two main schools of thought here... the Ray Bradbury (RIP) "let your characters fly" approach and the "plot and stick to it" approach. You appear to be doing neither. Try to make your mind up, even as a writing exercise, and stick with it for the first draft. The reader will know (actually, they won't as the book won't get published).

i figure i'll have to write 3-4 books before i finish anything good enough to be publishable though. I do worry that my current project is too stupid for adults but not exciting enough for kids.

Stop. Right. There. Writing as a hobby is fine, but wouldn't it be great if it was a hobby that paid for a car or a holiday? Get onto Amazon. Figure out WTF people are reading. Get that completely straight in your head. Write your synopsis and marketing blurb. This is a product.

Now, of course I'm coming at this from a relatively hard-nosed commercial fiction perspective. Please feel free to completely ignore me if you want to write simply for fun or because you want to write a literary novel.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

its mostly for fun, my end goal is for people to read it and enjoy it. Usually for people to read it, it means someone has to agree to publish it, but I'm not gonna get hung up on the details. I'm looking at this one as still generally a practice book. I read a lot, but most of my prior writing was confined to papers for college and law school.

of course, that doesnt mean i wont appreciate any advice that help make it more commercial too. I'm definitely more of the "make up some characters, put them in a scenario, and see what they do, but i still have a general idea of how the story is going to go. I just found, as I got to know the characters better, that, at least the main character is turning into a pretty serious person, and i think he was more lighthearted at the beginning, i dunno, maybe that will work and feel like natural development, i just dont want it to feel inconsistant.

i wont make any major changes until after the whole draft is done and i've read it with fresh eyes though

marketing blurb: "its The Relic meets A Shadow Over Innsmouth! but badly paced, poorly written, and featuring unbelievable characters doing unbelievable things" :)

edit: yeah, plots that are too deep, complex, intricate etc are too much for me right now, I'm more interested in telling simple stories, but in a compelling way. so i just need to get the "compelling" part down...

Edited by entrerix

I'm having a crisis this morning. I got out of the shower and I looking at the mirror getting ready to shave when I noticed some of my whiskers are f*****g gray! How the heck did this happen?

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I'm having a crisis this morning. I got out of the shower and I looking at the mirror getting ready to shave when I noticed some of my whiskers are f*****g gray! How the heck did this happen?

You have probably led a Life More Manly, Bro. These are like battle scars.

sonsofgygax.JPG

It would be cool to be like the guy in the Dos Equis commercials: http://dosequis.com/

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

GD, I'm what, half your age? And I've got a friend who teases me about having grey hairs on my HEAD.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

GD, I'm what, half your age? And I've got a friend who teases me about having grey hairs on my HEAD.

Hey, at least you have hair!
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I won't lie. Tears came to my eyes when Youk played his last game as a Red Sox. So long dude. Middlebrooks may be the awesome right now, so I get it....but darnit....while everything changes/circles around in sportsland, doesn't mean it's easy to watch it happen as it happens.

If they ever trade Pedroia away before he actually retires from playing, I'm going to cry for days.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

England out on penalties. Some things never change.

a095b62ba601cdf2e9b5ff3d0e9c8069_pirlodinklol.gif

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

my plan to write 6-8 hours a day over the weekend was foiled by laziness.

im now only at 43,000 words

God, I love my black cat. The way he stands up on hind legs, giving me a belly "hug" while I scratch his chin. Or when I'm doing the dishes and suddenly there's paws patting/grabbing me on the back....it's just so adorable/endearing, even with the belly/back scratches sometimes. On some days, it's what makes life tolerable.

I would make a terrible pet "owner", but there are days where I miss having a cat around. I grew up with a cat in the house during my childhood and teenage years :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

i have a 14 pound cat and an 8 pound dog. both are awesome. the cat is higher maintenance than the dog though, i feel like those two are all mixed up.

I got cheap chinese crap made to order today.

Also, the reveal that my camera phone is terrible.

IMAG0004.JPG

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."