Diablo 3 Sign-Up

Played a lot of Act 1 when it actually wanted to work, don't know how much I have left of it, but the game is exactly what I wanted and expected. It's a game where you kill stuff, level up, equip good gear, kill stuff, level up again, equip better gear. With a couple of friends, it becomes fun (understatement). I won't compare it to Diablo II, because I didn't play enough of that game to have a good enough opinion (also I don't remember much). All I can say that I'm having fun with the game. Witch Doctor turned out to be more fun than I expected. He has a lot of fun ablities, I especially like the bat spells, but most useful has been the ability to stun enemies. The Monk had an easy time obliterating opponents too. Only disappointment is that the difficulty is still not that hard, but I guess higher ones will offer a greater challenge. I haven't died yet, and the Monk I played with died once. I can't think of much else to complain about. Graphics could have been slightly better, but it isn't a big deal. The music fits the game, the combat simply feels right and I despite not loving the graphical design, I like the overall mood. I do absolutely not regret getting the game, despite some annoyances today. It can only get better.

Oh and here is my real battletag, without missing letters this time.

Labadal#2961

Edited by Labadal

apparently "normal" difficulty was designed for casual players, devs say the game doesnt actually become much of a challenge until you unlock "nighmare" difficulty (ie, beat the game once, then you can play a more challenging game)

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

**** Diablo 3. I preordered 4 copies of Torchlight 2 so me and my friends can play a true sequel to Diablo 2 instead of this Activision bull****.

Yeah, take your important stance on true faith in video games! You go girl!

Not even. I'm just pointing out that Torchlight 2, at 1/4 the price, no extremely intrusive DRM, no requirement of your personal details, no ability for people to buy powerful characters and items, being made by the original Diablo developers, and actually still having the gameplay elements and dynamics that made the original Diablo 1 and 2 fun, well, Torchlight 2 is a superior choice for people who want a Diablo sequel, and they should seriously consider it over this game Activision has pumped out and slapped the 'Diablo' brand name onto. Activision being a company that doesn't even contain many, if any, of the original Diablo employees (Condor/Blizzard North).

Diablo 3 is for people who want a dumbed-down, buy-once version of WoW with some Diablo lore thrown in.

Edited by Krezack

Here's a review from Rock, Paper, Shotgun that's spot on in my humble.

http://www.rockpaper...ith-diablo-iii/

Interesting.

*must....resist....buying this game...just on curiosity impulse*

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm currently enjoying D3 a lot more than I ever did TL1, and I haven't seen anything to suggest I'll have much more fun with TL2.

But then, I only play for the grinding-with-buddies mechanic.

I'm currently enjoying D3 a lot more than I ever did TL1, and I haven't seen anything to suggest I'll have much more fun with TL2.

But then, I only play for the grinding-with-buddies mechanic.

Tigs plays hot wizard chicks who die more than a freshly dual-classed Imoen in BG1.

I on the other hand have a manly barbarian juggernaut of devastation. Or something.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Battletag here is Calax1292... Although I prefer Real-id myself (because of my WoW habits) you guys have to be happy with giving out yer names.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I'm delighted my propensity for tanking with wizards is expressible through the passive skill, Glass Cannon. Also, NZ lag.

Level 18 and in Act 2 now, the game is definitely awesomesauce with 4 people.

Not even. I'm just pointing out that Torchlight 2, at 1/4 the price, no extremely intrusive DRM, no requirement of your personal details, no ability for people to buy powerful characters and items, being made by the original Diablo developers, and actually still having the gameplay elements and dynamics that made the original Diablo 1 and 2 fun, well, Torchlight 2 is a superior choice for people who want a Diablo sequel, and they should seriously consider it over this game Activision has pumped out and slapped the 'Diablo' brand name onto. Activision being a company that doesn't even contain many, if any, of the original Diablo employees (Condor/Blizzard North).

Diablo 3 is for people who want a dumbed-down, buy-once version of WoW with some Diablo lore thrown in.

Leaving your other criticisms aside (many of which have validity), I wouldn't say that it's particularly fair to call D3 "pumped out." That term carries implications of hurriedness and inattention to detail that it appears to me are unfounded (see, e.g., how repeatedly delayed the game's release was; universality of reviews praising the game's attention to detail in things other than server stability). If they were "pumping this game out," they did a damn poor job of it.

Anyhow, a friend of mine is working on convincing me to buy this, so that he, I, and his wife (and perhaps a to-be-named 4th party) can go through the campaign. I'm not much of an ARPG fan (Torchlight was fun for a while, but I only lasted long enough to see what the art style of the dungeon that contained the end boss looked like), but I'm tempted to go along from pure peer pressure.

Edited by Enoch
  • Like 1

Torchlight 1 wasn't that good, diablo 2 is way better, not sure bout d3 yet

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Loved Torchlight 1 to tell the truth. Then again, Torchlight 1 was basically almost a rehash of Diablo 1 (If they hadn't been the original creators of Diablo and Diablo 2 I think they probably could have been sued for plaguerism it was that close), down to even the system with a few things from diablo 2 tossed in.

I'm not certain how people can claim to love Diablo I and II SP and dislike Torchlight. If they only played for the MP it's understandable, but then Torchlight 2 will fix that.

Basically the charm of Torchlight is that the people who actually created and made the game systems for Diablo I and II (though I they had to get sold/accepted by Blizzard before they actually had it published, II they had more leniency) did the exact same thing with a game, and slapped another name on the game Diablo that they made originally.

However, with Diablo 3 it is a VERY different game. The creators of TL and TL2 are big fans of Blizzard (they probably have some friends who work there) and I imagine they spent the day trying to play Diablo 3 just like many here. The creators of Diablo I and II as well as Torchlight I and II stated that they feel the two games are very different, with the only real similarities being that they are both ARPGs and that there's room enough on the market for more than just one ARPG at a time.

I think they were excited for Diablo 3, and are also excited for Torchlight 2.

I priced Diablo 3 being worth about $20 to me, and I'll probably say the same about Torchlight 2. Maybe TL 2 may be worth a LITTLE more, depending on customization options, but overall, similar price range of what I'll pay for it in all likehood.

I'm not certain how people can claim to love Diablo I and II SP and dislike Torchlight. If they only played for the MP it's understandable, but then Torchlight 2 will fix that.

I can see how, since I was one of them. :p

I had fun with Fate (the precursor to Torchlight) but it was very limited. So I thought I'd like Torchlight more...and it wasn't bad. I didn't dislike it. But for some reason....it didn't capture me. There was no thrill/fun. Couldn't tell you why in explicit terms, it just didn't. At any rate, I didn't play it that long. I'm willing to try TL3 since it's $20, but the classes don't interest me much from what I'm seeing, so I'm not sure if I'll like it that much either. We'll see. I do like the pet ferret. Hah.

If D3 had been $20, I'd have been more inclined to grab it for solo play at least. But it's not, so I was going to wait.

But a bit like Enoch, I'm starting to feel some peer pressure, as well as curiosity about this Inferno difficulty. Doesn't help that I'm not currently really into another game at the moment, either. Blargh.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

After watching a couple of live streams of inferno difficulty (2-4 players), I'll say that those who want more difficulty...you'll get it then. It's actually been hilarious/fun to watch. :) Looks a good deal harder than D2's Hell difficulty (which wasn't that hard once familiar). You'll be max clvl long before you get there most likely, too.

So seems like longevity for many will be the tough level of item hunting in Inferno.

Got up to level 11 with my DH, very fun to play as a group, might get a 4 player game in tonight, hopefully.

Seems the internet's reaction is largely

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Got to play a little bit last night between family commitments. Decided to go with a Monk but now Tigranes already has me regretting that. No server connection problems at all for me. I only saw one of you online last so Im starting to wonder if they seperated the America's and European servers.

Got to play a little bit last night between family commitments. Decided to go with a Monk but now Tigranes already has me regretting that. No server connection problems at all for me. I only saw one of you online last so Im starting to wonder if they seperated the America's and European servers.

The servers shouldn't be the problem, I've seen Tigranes and a couple others from the boards here including you last night. Got my Barbarian to lvl 14 I believe and enjoying it. Mostly solo so far, so it's taking a while. I will say my opinion of wanting to take it slow and go solo the first time through has waned due to the speed so I'll be looking into jumping into some of your games soon enough. Having a good time with the barbarian and collecting rare items for my other characters spending loads on my stash to open up more area for more loot. But having a great time so far between work and other commitments.

Make sure you go to the options and select Americas servers so we can all play together. Any version of the game can play on any of the US/EU/Asia servers, but your characters on each server is separate.

As my Wizard goes up in level I'll start the Monk too, so that whether high or low level I can play with you guys.

I'm interested in playing, probelm is that I don't want to use my current character (WD), because I'm only using him when I play with my cousin.

Oh, and no work tomorrow. I'm able to play for some time.