Diablo 3 Sign-Up

Ok I caved and bought it, feel free to LOL at my inability to not buy it. ;)

I will not LOL. Your decision was completely rational. Welcome, and I look forward to hooking up for some nightmare MP soon :D

sonsofgygax.JPG

Finished normal. Great game so far. Now I'm torn between taking my monk into nightmare or starting on the other characters. ><

Using a gamepad to control an FPS is like trying to fight evil through maple syrup.

You should, yes, but I only just have 400. My gear is rather poor, so I'm trying to load up on MF as much as possible.

It's been interesting how much MF affects drops in D3. In D2 you could have 30% and feel like it hardly made much of a dent outside of boss drops. But once I had enough to get up to about 25% those Rares started dropping like crazy. Maybe I just got lucky tho. One of those treasure pgymy's dropped a Legendary 2H sword for me too. But alas I don't use those. :/

I will not LOL. Your decision was completely rational. Welcome, and I look forward to hooking up for some nightmare MP soon :D

Don't know how much MP I'll do. The control-freak in me has a difficult time with MP. ;) Never did a whole lot in D2 either, outside of random boss and cow runs to level up faster. Depends how much I feel like making another character too. Made one of each class to lvl7 just in case but ... we'll see.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

im really looking forward to act 1 nightmare, i feel like that will be the first point where paying attention to how i equip and build my character will matter, im still only act 2 normal right now, and any problem can be easily overcome by just gaining another level or two and retrying

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

My main issue at the moment is the poor quality weapons sold by merchants and the inconsistency of smith levelling. This strikes me as an Auction House issue (nobody has bought my cracked vambraces, btw).

sonsofgygax.JPG

Beat the game with 3 other players last night(this morning). So much fun. We then immediately started our Nightmare run. So far, so good. Beat the boss of act 1. Posed no threat at all. Playing a Witch Doctor and mostly using Soul Harvest, Fire Bomb, Zombie Dogs and that big zombie dude you can summon. We've had some casualties on both Normal and Nightmare, but there were most of the time two people surviving. There was one boss on normal we had a lot of trouble with, getting wiped out 2-3 times. Diablo on the other hand was a joke in multiplayer (Normal). The bugs that spit bugs at you were my second most hated enemy of the game. That was my first death ever. There's one enemy type I hate more, you'll probably agree when you face them.

One of the guys was playing a melee Wizard and actually did really well for himself. I thought he was crazy at first, but I was wrong. Probably played a melee role 50% of the time and caster the other 50%. and the guy was 10 levels lower.

I have only ever played Diablo 2 for a little while, so this was my first "real" Diablo experience. I have played a lot of other "clones", and enjoyed them. But I now understand why this game is the most popular in its genre.

Think we beat the game at level 32. I have not been lucky with item drops, but we did trade items so I did get some good stuff. Oh, I was also going to sell like 30 yellow items in the AH, but salvaged them instead. Today, I think I'll take a break from the game. Played almost 10 hours yesterday.

Beat Normal Diablo. I have 320dps so it took me about 10 minutes instead of the usual 1-2 boss-minutes, mostly because of running in half-circles waiting for skills to recharge between attacking him etc. Didn't die. The semi-long trek through all those areas/loading screens to get there (when you're solo) grew wearisome to me by the end. Was wishing I had teleport, haha.

Entered Nightmare (clvl 32). The "normal" mobs are still cake, and some of the purple dudes are fine....but there's been a few that gave me fits of running around on a fine line between death and survival. Lucky for me, I don't have a desire to kill everything this time around. So I went and got the Crown (not hard) and then stopped. Want to see if my 320dps will take care of the SKing. After that I'll fiddle with gear and get up up another 100-200 I suppose. ... I'm sure I wouldn't last/be any help in a 4 player game but for solo, it's managable. I think D3's Nightmare is a bit tougher than D2's Nightmare...which is fine with me.

Anyway....my other stats outside of dps + skills keep me alive thru the high hit point guys. High dodge and rapid fire punching. It's fun.

Not sure I'd say I love the game itself, but I do love that Monk.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Diablo 3 is selling for $20 in 3 days for a few hours on an Australia discount website. If I can buy it then, I will. Otherwise it could be a loooong time before it ends up on my computer.

But hey, if the game is as good as you guys claim it is, that shouldn't matter right? If it's as good as Diablo 1 and 2, lots of people will still be playing it online many years later.

Yes.

Level 40 and 4-player'ing Act 2 NM, getting a bit frustrated now since my dude has 900 DPS, enough, but only 250 vit and 3000 health. There are bosses where I literally step on their fiery emissions and die. Of course, my wizard really shouldn't be this far.

Level 40 and 4-player'ing Act 2 NM, getting a bit frustrated now since my dude has 900 DPS, enough, but only 250 vit and 3000 health. There are bosses where I literally step on their fiery emissions and die. Of course, my wizard really shouldn't be this far.

Yeah....4 player is a different beast altogether. I'd be no help there at all yet. :lol:

The fire or poison ground emissions are the worst thing in the game so far, to me. If you're not an INT based character takes a while to find any +to resist stuff I guess (I've only found a couple things once in NM that have it, so far). So 3000hp drains away in seconds. It's quite brutal.

Diablo 3 is selling for $20 in 3 days for a few hours on an Australia discount website. If I can buy it then, I will. Otherwise it could be a loooong time before it ends up on my computer.

But hey, if the game is as good as you guys claim it is, that shouldn't matter right? If it's as good as Diablo 1 and 2, lots of people will still be playing it online many years later.

Have a link? that could be worth picking up from the site if true.

Edited by greylord

^ LOL.

Was having some video card issues on my desktop so installed it on the laptop. Heh, it actually runs better and looks great.

Level 26 end of Act II. Barbarian is starting to make a bit more sense.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Haha, I kind of don't want to share the link since I believe they have limited stock. But whatever, sharing is caring.

It's an Australian store, but that probably won't matter - might want to check though.

http://www.catchoftheday.com.au/

Killed Diablo in hardcore mode. My e-**** is bigger than ever.

I don't have the stomach for hardcore mode. I'd constantly be in fear of losing my character - it'd take all the fun out of it for me.

Hardcore mode makes the game a lot more tactical and I think that translates to a lot more fun.

If you play in hardcore mode from the outset, you quickly learn how to survive in it. It's a completely different mindset to playing in softcore, and the mistake people often make is thinking that they can do the same sorts of things in hardcore as they do in softcore. For example, rushing becomes a fairly bad idea.

Where do you get "Pages of Training"? When you level the Blacksmith up to level 4 (same with the Jewelcrafter iirc) you can no longer train them with gold only but now need a combination of gold and a Page of Training. Where do you get the pages? I thought you had to disenchant Yellow gear but Ive done a bunch and havent seen any Pages drop.

Haha, I kind of don't want to share the link since I believe they have limited stock. But whatever, sharing is caring.

It's an Australian store, but that probably won't matter - might want to check though.

Yeah, COTD regularly pull stunts like this to draw traffic - the amount of stock they have is probably something in the low three digits, and apparently the deal has notched something like 20000 Facebook 'likes' so you can calculate your odds from there, if you can even get onto the site the minute it goes up. This practice just barely skirts by consumer laws about having a reasonable number available when advertising a sale.

Still, if you want to chance your arm, create an account there now, and within the sale period, stay logged in and spam refresh on the hour, every hour (since they change the item every hour "randomly") and have your card details and such ready to paste in. It's almost a perverse sport or such - thousands of people will be doing that exact same thing and you probably have less than a 30 second window to complete the transaction to actually buy one. I have to admit even I'd be tempted by a $20 D3 deal, speaking as someone who personally despises the genre, but I won't personally deal with COTD so no competition from me. :p

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Where do you get "Pages of Training"? When you level the Blacksmith up to level 4 (same with the Jewelcrafter iirc) you can no longer train them with gold only but now need a combination of gold and a Page of Training. Where do you get the pages? I thought you had to disenchant Yellow gear but Ive done a bunch and havent seen any Pages drop.

Random drops from higher difficulty levels.

And also, if you guys haven't tried go to options -> gameplay -> and turn elective selecting on(or whatever it was). It gives a lot more choices with skill placement.

Edited by kirottu

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Yeah, COTD regularly pull stunts like this to draw traffic - the amount of stock they have is probably something in the low three digits, and apparently the deal has notched something like 20000 Facebook 'likes' so you can calculate your odds from there, if you can even get onto the site the minute it goes up. This practice just barely skirts by consumer laws about having a reasonable number available when advertising a sale.

Still, if you want to chance your arm, create an account there now, and within the sale period, stay logged in and spam refresh on the hour, every hour (since they change the item every hour "randomly") and have your card details and such ready to paste in. It's almost a perverse sport or such - thousands of people will be doing that exact same thing and you probably have less than a 30 second window to complete the transaction to actually buy one. I have to admit even I'd be tempted by a $20 D3 deal, speaking as someone who personally despises the genre, but I won't personally deal with COTD so no competition from me. :p

I agree, and my thinking has been trending along those lines over the past few days. So far all they've asked for is my email - I figure I can unsubscribe afterwards and block their email in Gmail. But if they require registration as your suggest, that's a definite no go.

My experiences with Groupon, something similar, were less then stellar. These sites represent some of the worse excesses of consumerism.

I've also been thinking that I probably have lots of better things to do than sit around refreshing a website 6 days before I have 3 final exams to sit, hoping to snag a deal on a game that is a huge time waster (if its predecessor is anything to go by). I've made a list of things I want to accomplish in my 10 week break between semesters 1 and 2, and it involves building a website for group collaboration for uni students, coding neural networks in C++, learning linear algebra, electric circuit theory, building an Arduino robot, and practising discrete maths in Haskell. While it's probably wishful thinking to believe I can achieve all of this in 10 weeks, very little of this would be achievable if I owned Diablo 3. :p

Random drops from higher difficulty levels.

And also, if you guys haven't tried go to options -> gameplay -> and turn elective selecting on(or whatever it was). It gives a lot more choices with skill placement.

I see, thanks.

Hit level 30 and beat the Demon of Sin before calling it a night. Onward to Diablo! Although I do think its a bit funny that Diablo is represented as having the power to

destroy Heaven itself and its prime guardian but a lowly level 30 monk, his Mystic Ally and a Templar that does ~25 DPS is going to take her down.

http://www.catchoftheday.com.au/

[

Thanks, frequent many different parts of the world myself so sales in australia should be no problem. Even have an address that it can be sent to.

Killing NM SKing with 320dps/3000hp. Took 3 minutes to whittle his health down but hardly broke a sweat. I even used the Scoundrel instead of the Templar so no extra healing/regen. When I got to the Drowned Temple quest it started to get a bit tough to kill things, so I tweaked and fiddled. I now have 480dps and 5400hp and it's fairly easy again for soloing. Also, seriously, the +life-on-hit, if you stock up on that like mad, you're almost invulnerable to anything that can't one-shot you. It seems to works on undead too since it's not life steal.

For single player, massive dps seems like overkill to me. There's other attributes/tactics that will make having lower dps plenty viable. But...it does help that Monks have a good healing spell to go along with the slow-timered healing pots. I played my Barb to mid-Act2 and while he dealt damage like no tomorrow/was very fast, it was definitely more annoying because he had to pause/rely on potions a lot more between fights to heal up. :lol:

But I'm starting to get bored of slogging through the game a 2nd time. Even when I switch chr. classes for a change of pace, there's a constant "Am I there yet" sensation. Repeating all the enforced quests and skipping all those cutscenes over and over gets wearying fast when there's little randomization to things. It was great the 1st time but it becomes a chore the 2nd time.

D1 and D2 I didn't get bored of that process for a lot longer - took a while before I felt like "rushing" the game. In D3 I almost immediately feel like rushing the game ... that is, not exploring fully and just trying to go from point A to point B plotwise. Kind of sad really. I may have to start buying stuff from the AH so I can become a dps-twinker like everyone else and jump into some random MP games to see if that makes it any more fun...and to get to Inferno faster. I do love the artisans....what a money sink they are. At least I have two Stash pages now.

I could play Hardcore, but I refuse to play Hardcore when it's online only. Perm death from my own idiocy is fine, but perm death due to sudden server disconnects or lag/latency spikes makes me toss keyboards through windows.

i do miss the more open ended levels of diablo and diablo 2, and agree that there are too many story moments in diablo 3. its distracting how often i have to skip dialogues etc to get back to the monster slaying.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.