Diablo 3 Sign-Up

I could play Hardcore, but I refuse to play Hardcore when it's online only. Perm death from my own idiocy is fine, but perm death due to sudden server disconnects or lag/latency spikes makes me toss keyboards through windows.

Oh come on, it's part of the charm.

When your super-geared character suddenly and unexpectedly dies... I'd say it's one of the strongest experiences in any computer game. You pause and think about the fleeting nature of life.

Also, party HC is great fun.

• Like 1

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

What I dislike is how every big boss fight is an arena style set up. Cutscene, locked in tiny room/area, fight. This goes against most of the past history of Diablo boss fights. Oh sure the act bosses were always in a specific spot, but you had room to run and if you wanted, you could even run completely away. They weren't "arenas." Duriel was the one exception I think. Fine to have one of two like that, but it's every single one.

And I was highly disappointed when

Izual was made into an arena fight. I mean, you used to have to look for him to spawn randomly in that one area in D2. Now he's....forced upon you. It's lame and lacks a feeling of freedom or exploration anticipation.

Diablo's have always been linear, don't get me wrong, but the way they've made the game, D3 now feels even more linear.

Complaints aside...did anyone else find the farmer with the reference to the movie Pyscho? That was hysterical. I also finally got the Gharbad the Weak set piece. Kind of funny.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I could play Hardcore, but I refuse to play Hardcore when it's online only. Perm death from my own idiocy is fine, but perm death due to sudden server disconnects or lag/latency spikes makes me toss keyboards through windows.

Oh come on, it's part of the charm.

When your super-geared character suddenly and unexpectedly dies... I'd say it's one of the strongest experiences in any computer game. You pause and think about the fleeting nature of life.

Also, party HC is great fun.

I played HC in D2 quite often. I'm not unfamiliar. Just not my general thing in online gaming. Besides, I tend to play with an partial ironman mentality to begin with, even in softcore. I buy from stores but I don't trade/buy from other players to get l33t fast and I try very hard not to die, even if dying means nothing. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Found a funny perf issue --- yesterday my laptop ran D3 smoothly and today it's realllyyyy sllooooowwww. On the forums this seems to be an issue too. Tried everything --- all drivers up to date. Am now back to the desktop hoping Blizz will patch the game already....

sonsofgygax.JPG

gharbad the weak!! that instantly conjures up fond memories of D1, i didn't know he had an appearance in D3, now i want to find it!

i have a feeling a lot of my smaller issues with D3 will end up being resolved when the expansion arrives. The D2 expansion drastically improved D2 in several important ways beyond just including a 5th act.

i REALLY REALLY want the amazon to return though.... I miss my spear character

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

D2 LOD was an excellent expansion pack, and Act 5 was significnatly more fun than all the other acts. It will be nice to see what they do.

I agree there are annoying things like arena bosses, the idiotic story trying to be cool all the time, etc., but in the end nothing beats 4 dudes in nightmare / etc dealing with 3 mobs at once with everything exploding and you trying to stay alive.

but in the end nothing beats 4 dudes in nightmare / etc dealing with 3 mobs at once with everything exploding and you trying to stay alive.

Oh I agree. The crazy hack n slash is what Blizzard has always excelled at. Even in single player when I'm faced with some giant mob and trying to wipe them all out it's horribly satisfying. It's just a bit irritating that I have to deal with all that stuff in order to do it.

And I'm loving the Artisans. I want him to make me those sets and legendary items, please. I don't care if there may be some better items from drops only. Gives me something to work for besides farming bosses or whatever. Also, hooray for being able to unsocket items without destroying either gem or item.

Reached level 41 with my Witch Doctor (Nightmare difficulty). Died a couple of times, mostly because I got stressed, and ended up panicking. It's good that I'm playing with someone who actually knows how to play properly. The challenge really ramped up and I'm loving it. Most of the deaths have been my own stupid fault, but I felt a few of them were cheap. Those exploding enemies are so damn annoying. I want to hit something when I see them. We're on act II and there's something I have to say is amusing. Regular enemeis + elite enemeis can be difficult for me, but I don't die during boss fights. Can't put my finger on why. During one of the boss fights, I just stood there, spamming fire bombs and soul harvest.

they made it a design goal for boss fights to not be as hard as elite and unique monster fights. appropriately: bosses don't drop fancy loot as often as elite and unique monsters do

so the real loot hunters will scour the Acts looking for all the elite and uniques to fight, instead of just doing boss runs. i think its a brilliant solution

• Like 1

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Yeah, I don't think boss runs will be as useful this time - and that's great. It's more enjoyable this way, especially since the bosses in D3 aren't that great anyway. I feel like Belial in particular was very humdrum, and nothing approaches Andariel or Baal.

the act bosses are definitely more bark than bite in diablo 3. I like some of the smaller bosses best actually; skeleton king, the spider lady, undead guy in act 2, the giant spider etc are usually more fun than the act bosses

i know that diablo 3 was designed so that the game really got started in nightmare difficulty, but i preferred diablo 2 difficulty balance where even normal mode was a bit of a challenge for casual players.

normal in diablo 3 is just way too easy

Found my 2nd Legendary item...more useful than the 1st I found. Some normal zombie dropped on the way to the Butcher. Sadly, my Demon Hunter is only lvl 15. :lol:

Diablo3-000048.jpg

I am installing the game since over 20 minutes and it's only at 15%... Is it so slow only for me?

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

It was super slow for me the first time I tried installing. I closed the installer and restarted the install from the DVD and it installed normally. Don't know if that would work if you are downloading it.

Using a gamepad to control an FPS is like trying to fight evil through maple syrup.

I havent seen any Legendary items yet but Im still going through my first play through so maybe they dont drop on Normal? My personal record for largest mob killed was 62 monsters but I never really feel threatened with my level 32 Monk when I get surrounded as one roundhouse will clear the immediate area. Killed the two Hearts last night so I think I must be close to the end.

Haven't seen any uniques or sets at level 44, Nightmare act 3 - but no biggie, feel like I have pretty decent gear at the moment. 1200DPS and 40%MF. Zoltan Kulle was a breeze.

Beat Diablo with my wizard, that fight was kind of fun, even if it was just me running from him and tossing arcane bombs at him. On to Nightmare.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I needed around 4 hours to install the game. Normal installation from DVD, which took like forever, then language change to english, which needed me to download 2,9gb additional stuff. Madness.

Started a Witch Doctor. The beginning was a bit boring, but now that I got some more skills, it is becoming more interesting.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I havent seen any Legendary items yet but Im still going through my first play through so maybe they dont drop on Normal?

They drop in Normal. That's where I found my first one, and I know someone else who did as well. Seems similar to D2, where there are probably low, mid, high lvl ones.

More on the supposed hacking: seems tied to being in a public game and the way the achievement announcements work, enabling theft of "session ID" via the packets as achievements broadcast to everyone else. So they can then boot you out and control your character, bypassing the login. I guess the servers were down for a while as they maybe tried to fix that? Dunno...just reading about it 2nd hand.

Edited by LadyCrimson

Now, are legendary items set items? Or are those separate as well and has anyone found any set items yet? I'm currently about 3/4 way through Act I on nightmare and decided to always join a public game or start a MP game as this game is much much more fun with at least another person than by yourself.

I do get a little upset with the lag issue typically present and am pretty sure that's why PvP was pushed back because an uproar could easily ensue due to the lag issues the servers are still having.

Set's are different. Legendary just seems like D3's version of "Unique" (gold) items in Diablo2. Sets are still green, apparently, and I haven't seen any. The Blacksmith can make some (eventually) but I think there's ones that drop too...Blizzard's website game guide has a list of items, but I don't know if it's 100% complete (the guide seems to still be a work in progress for some things).

Edit: I've had no "lag" in the game myself in terms of latency/ping, but the game does tend to jerk on a regular basis...that is, kind of like how FNV would "stutter." You walk a short distance it's fine, suddenly it kind of jerks a tiny bit, as it draws in new stuff maybe, then it's fine, repeat. It's minor and hasn't affected combat negatively for me but it's annoying.

They're not supporting the catalyst 12.4 drivers either. Game may not even work if you use them.

Edited by LadyCrimson

i think uniques and sets are similar in D3 to how they were in D2 PRE expansion - there are not very many, so finding any is unusual, and they aren't even that good when you find one.

im guessing that the expansion pack will end up adding dozens of new uniques and set items, so finding them throughout all the difficulties will be more common of an occurrance.

just finished normal difficulty last night with my witch hunter, now torn between pushing on through nightmare, or getting my wizard and barbarian through normal too before i begin moving all my characters through the upper difficulties.

if i keep my characters similarly leveled, they can help eachother by using the shared stash to share good drops, so i guess thats the most efficient way to progress, but it does make it a slow progress through the difficulties