RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Gorth

BG3 in some shape or form depends on the success of the enhanced edition and Atari's good will since they currently hold the license. This is straight from the developers mouth.

Really? WOTC itself holds the BG IP, and Atari does not have the D&D licence for new games as of last year, only for old ones.

They'd still potentiallt be a sensible choice as a publisher given their experience, but not given their woeful financials.

]I can live with hard combat as long as its not a grind fest.

It is.

also, some people dont like the combat system because its too methodical, but thats a personal taste issue.

Methodical.. Well, if that's what you want to call it. For me it was sluggish. I pressed one button, my character took two slow steps forward and lunged lazily with his little shortsword. There was no way of interrupting the animation once it started, nor was there anything else you could do if the enemies turned out to be twice as fast as you. Methodical..

• Like 1

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

It's always grindfest when you want to have multiple maxed out weapons/armor. But that's not the point of the game. To have fun you don't need that. Maybe some farming but nothing tedious.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

You never knew that it existed...and now you never will.

What's the point of cancelling an unannounced project?

Is there some sort of internal struggle going on at the business that this is going to give leverage to one or another party?

http://www.gamespot.com/news/gears-of-war-exile-cancelled-6370520

Epic Games design director Cliff Bleszinski says unannounced franchise entry rumored to be on-rails Kinect game has been canned.

Gears of War: Exile will never be. Epic Games design director Cliff Bleszinski told GameSpot today that the rumored Kinect project is no longer in development at the Cary, North Carolina-based studio.

"Let's just bury the hatchet now," he said. "Gears of War: Exile was an unannounced game that I can't give any details about that has since been cancelled."

It was rumored, so it's not like he's canceling something nobody knew about.

And the market isn't saturated enough for a tough competition and bribes, they're not gonna cancel games for a kickback from another company.

You never knew that it existed...and now you never will.

What's the point of cancelling an unannounced project?

Is there some sort of internal struggle going on at the business that this is going to give leverage to one or another party?

http://www.gamespot....ncelled-6370520

Epic Games design director Cliff Bleszinski says unannounced franchise entry rumored to be on-rails Kinect game has been canned.

Gears of War: Exile will never be. Epic Games design director Cliff Bleszinski told GameSpot today that the rumored Kinect project is no longer in development at the Cary, North Carolina-based studio.

"Let's just bury the hatchet now," he said. "Gears of War: Exile was an unannounced game that I can't give any details about that has since been cancelled."

This is Cliffy B. He's known for being a bit of an egomaniac. That said, it's obvious that the game was at least a TINY bit known in the industry/gaming circles.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I'm not asking/advertising for backers, but I discovered this project on Kickstarter called Nekro, by Darkforge, "a group of industry vets hailing from studios such as Blizzard, Sony, Microsoft and more. We have many years of experience creating quality games for both ourselves and large AAA studios."

Just sounded interesting to me, perhaps a thematic cross between Dungeon Keeper and....other games. Thoughts?

Here's their announcement video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb4KFoizKss

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

It sounds like Overlord for the most part.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

They're all correct, except that Gaider and Bioware have let narrative take up too much space in their games at the expense of everything else.

If it was really good stuff like PST you could claim its necessary and a part of the experience, but when its 10 minutes of cinematics for every 3 minutes of gameplay in which all the characters spout predictable lines straight out of a Marvel comic, its just a waste of space.

• Like 2

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

They're all correct, except that Gaider and Bioware have let narrative take up too much space in their games at the expense of everything else.

I was just thinking about this earlier. It's funny, because it's true for DA2. But it's sad, because it's almost the opposite for ME2. They finally perfected the formula they were toying with from ME1 onwards only to totally **** up on the narrative side of things.

• Like 1

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I think Levine's and Avellone's work simply for different things. Levine's idea is very good for replacing exposition. It can convey motivations and characterization. It can convey the history of a location. Avellone's is about the ongoing. And environments aren't typically as responsive in that regard. But I also think Avellone's idea might be too limited and only applicable to open world games. Could Alpha Protocol work on just emergent behavior?

It's hard for me to take from what Gaider says. I keep thinking of Dragon Age 2 and specifically Act III. Or Leliana's return even if the player killed her. Was that them just failing to be good liars? Or was that them being too interested in what they're willing to let the player do that they forgot what the player would want, calling out his premise as faulty. Just how well can one lie? I'm inclined to think he does not give his audience enough credit.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

from a design standpoint, i agree the most with levine. level design and world building are absolutely paramount to good game design. vastly more important than writing a neato story to be read aloud to you by voice acted animated cliches.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Avellone's basic point is about providing coherent, systemic bases for meaning and narrativisation, which is certainly not limited to just random mob spawns or such. That actually becomes a guiding principle in how you write the 'narrativ-y' bits in the first place, how you write the factions, dialogue.

• Like 1