What are you playing now?

Gorth

Friends decided to play some TA with Brutal AI. Luckily we defeated the AI with cunning and subtle tactics.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I suck at gun skills as I went the energy weapon way.

Well, aside from Gauss rifle and some DLC weapons all energy weapons are useless.

I found that I could get through 1 or 2 Deathclaws with the Q34 and a lot of crit-boosting perks. And Pew-Pew is probably the best way to go when they get close. But, yeah, get a Gauss. Preferrably the unique one, although, IIRC, that's only available if you don't have Wild Wasteland on.

Also, if your stealth is good, I think you can get to a couple sniping locations above the quarry from where you can fire and not worry about them getting to you. (On the crane?)

Edited by Enoch

I suck at gun skills as I went the energy weapon way. I've got some decent explosives skills too, but the darn critters seems to ignore most stuff I can set up as traps for them (C4 and plasma mines). I don't know their stats, but I suspect they have a fairly high damage resistance.

There's almost no damage resistance in FNV...it's all that "damage threshold" instead. So they have a DT of about 15 IIRC. They just have a lot of hit points (500+). I don't recall them having any specific resistance buffs, their "perks" just upped their damage and perception I think. Maybe their high Perception enables them to avoid some trap damage or something? Never used traps much, not sure.

And yeah, there's some cliffside points where you can snipe them from afar.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I tend to like firearms, although I've seen folks advocate everything from unarmed to energy. I tell you what, if you think energy weapons are weak, go take a gander at the alien blaster. On the hardest settings, you can put down that badassed Deathclawzilla you meet in one of those caves in no time. I think it's the best weapon in the game.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Jurassic Park: The Game

If you ever were a fan of JP. Buy this. Now. Scrap that. Buy this for all sorts of reasons.

Never have seen QTE's as intense as in this game. And the death scenes are a sight to behold too if you fail.

One of the Protagonists getting bitten apart between a T-Rex and a Triceratops while his daughter watches in horror is a sight to behold, really.

Edited by C2B

Having a blast with LotR: War in the North, great action RPG with amazing enviroments and pretty nice combat system :) Slicing through orcs and goblins with my loremaster is great fun :p

I've been through the campaign once and am about 1/3 the way through it again and am having a good time as well. I'm playing the dwarf since the start.

Also, putting in some time with Battlefield 3 and Skyrim, plus a little Saints Row: The Third on the side.

Having a blast with LotR: War in the North, great action RPG with amazing enviroments and pretty nice combat system :) Slicing through orcs and goblins with my loremaster is great fun :p

I've been through the campaign once and am about 1/3 the way through it again and am having a good time as well. I'm playing the dwarf since the start.

Also, putting in some time with Battlefield 3 and Skyrim, plus a little Saints Row: The Third on the side.

(War in the North) Been there, done that...wasn't impressed. It gets better as you go further along in the game, but just didn't hit the right chords with me.

As for Skyrim...more of a MW3 type guy myself...for which oddly enough, I think I may be the odd one out on these boards...unlike most other places.

Edited by greylord

If you use energy weapons in FONV, think about over charged ammunitions. It is really efficient against deathclaws.

Hmm... never thought about that. I even have a backpack full of different batteries for my toys. I remembered the souped up med-x and turbo and what have you, but forgot about different ammo types. Took me forever too to figure out how to change ammo :p

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

If you use energy weapons in FONV, think about over charged ammunitions. It is really efficient against deathclaws.

Hmm... never thought about that. I even have a backpack full of different batteries for my toys. I remembered the souped up med-x and turbo and what have you, but forgot about different ammo types. Took me forever too to figure out how to change ammo :p

Yeah, same thing during my first playthrough. Then I figured how to change the amunitions and was delighted to see how energy weapon became really more efficient if one changes amunitions depending of the target.

And... finished Revelations.

The storyline would have worked great if it had been a tad bit longer, and had been built around more action set pieces. As it is it feels very thin and somewhat rushed. The only character who's really given enough screentime to have a characterization is Ezio's love interest, Sophia. The game is structured so that for each memory segment, you really have two "stories". One is the main story about Ezio trying to find the keys to Masayyf's Library, the other is him setting up the Assassins in Istanbul, and hunting down the Templar's Key that they stole at the start of the game. They BARELY intertwine much, with the Key finding always being done with Sofia, and everything else done with the Istanbul Assassins.

The Key's are also the device used to inject Altair into the game. For those who don't know he's the protagonist from the first game, and where in ACI he had an american accent, in this he's got a proper arabic accent. His bits are fairly short and sweet, but are really where I got the most intrigued/drawn in, because it seems to have SO much more weight to it. Of course I've always liked Altair better from the start so... Anyway, his bits are the end cap to each "find a key!" mission. These missions play out like the Assassin Tombs from 2 and the Romulus lairs from Brotherhood. They really limited themselves with where Altair could be simply because they didn't want to add to many maps to the game. Basically anything with Altair will be done in Masayyf, and Ezio visits there once at the start of the game.

I will say however, that this is the first time I've actually LIKED Ezio rather than been at a point of toleration. In 2 and Brotherhood he always felt a bit... arrogant about his position, and he always seemed a bit overt (I've complained about that before). This is exemplified in brotherhood by him wandering around rome with Machiavelli and having Machiavelli tell him "Yeah, you don't want to go there, the Borgia are in control because of the tower" so Ezio promptly shrugs and burns the thing down. In this he's an Italian in Constantinople/Istanbul and he's having to deal with his aging (he's in his 60's or so). So it makes sense that he's feeling more vulnerable (the way the game starts helps too).

But ultimately the new system that was touted by the devs all over, "YOU CAN MAKE BOMBS!", falls flat because there isn't much reason to USE the things. I still performed combat how I did in Brotherhood (counter once then go on a kill string), and didn't need the bombs to provide distractions given the variety of other ways you could work. The other one, the hook blade, both works and doesn't. It works on the level that it changes how Ezio moves (because you can zipline around) and shows how he's aging (where before he'd just do a HUGE jump up a wall, now he hauls himself up with the hook). But on a different level I couldn't help but wonder "Wtf mate!" because he still uses this as a killing tool. He stabs a HOOK into somebodies body and pulls it back out like nobodies business... And yet there are other kill animations (with the sword mainly) where he stabs a normal flat blade into a guy and then lets them slide off (sometimes while the guy is scrambling to keep themselves upright). I know I'm supposed to suspend my disbelief and run with it, but something about the fact that he uses a hook exactly the same as his hidden blade bugs me.

Anyway, the ending sets up for what we all figured, Desmonds game. And personally, that game better friggin release on 12/12/12 given how much emphasis they've put on that date.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Started playing L.A. Noire.

Pretty nice so far. I hope we see that kind of facial capture in more games in the future, even though the tech is expensive as hell right now and requires actual actors. Sure beats standard morphing sliders.

I bought it, but Rockstar sucks at optimizing for PC - I should've learned my lesson back when I bought GTA IV, it took six months before the game would even run. Same problem here, memory leaks, stuttering, extreme fluctuations in framerate.

Fortune favors the bald.

As for the PC port, remember that LA Noire uses a custom engine developed by Team Bondi.

Hmm, true - funny that it's the exact same problems I had with GTAIV. But I've kinda lost confidence in Rockstar as PC developer now, even though it was Bondi's engine, Rs had the responsibility as publishers to make sure the game was playable when released.

Fortune favors the bald.

I play it actually on the PS3, there are some stuttering errors here and there, but overall it's perfectly playable.

As for the PC port, remember that LA Noire uses a custom engine developed by Team Bondi. Rockstar's own tech RAGE should actually be better optimized. Hopefully (we'll see when Max Payne 3 comes out).

Not sure who did the PC port - Bondi'd gone into receivership by that time. Maybe the same people who did GTAIV? :)

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Heh, i've got Saints Row the Third supposed to be turning up tomorrow.. and then I've got the "we'd like to invite you to the beta test of SWTOR for the weekend of the 18th and 19th"

I do believe there might be some time cramming in there...

Decisions, decisions.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I'm really starting to get pissed off with this God forsaken L.A. Noire game. It gets stuck with on the Synchronizing screen and hangs. I let it run there for hours on the weekend and there's still no resolution (that works) I can put in place on my end.

:Cant's long suffering icon:

Nope, I suppose I should just cool my jets. I'll install it on my wife's (XP) system. I have to switch the DVI cable since I only have four damned HDMI inputs on my TV, but other than that, it shouldn't be an issue and then we can play it together. F'n bites my asscheek.

Luckily, the bottle of port is taking the edge off the experience. I think I'll buy Skyrim for the hell of it. Then I wno't have time to play it, but at least I can kvetch over it later.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Luckily, the bottle of port is taking the edge off the experience. I think I'll buy Skyrim for the hell of it. Then I wno't have time to play it, but at least I can kvetch over it later.

If you won't have time to play it, why don't you wait for a lower price ?

Oh, I don't think it will be much less for a while on Steam. I could be wrong, but I doubt it has much less than a ten buck price cut for some time. If it does, then I'll have something else to complain about. Don't you know this is the internet? Complaining is our God given right. :Cant's contented smile icon:

Obsidian Plays