What you did today

Tale

Joy. One of those days where everyone in the family is annoying/irritating everyone else. So lots of snappishness passing back and forth and general ragh spilling around.

Ah well, trying not to get too stressed with it all. A fresh cup of tea to soothe the day along.

You just need a good family dustup. We have those every now and then, very good stress reliever.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Got to agree with Malc. I come from a shouty-throwy-smashy family. Does you good. In fact, weirdly enough, I was just thinking this morning that apart from a couple of weekends ago in teh pub I haven't had so much as a raised voice in years. :(

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

That's the joy of having several monarchs of the land of passive-aggresiva and a 35 year old sister who can throw a sulky strop like a spoiled 17 year old.

Urf on unrelated matters I took a moment away from some work to throw the ball around for the puppy.. and in the middle of that I just got hit by a wall of exhaustion. Not physical wearing out, just that sudden "i'm about to fall over asleep" type of feeling. Putting the kettle on for a fresh cuppa I think.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Nah it's preferable. If my mother's family had done it more, they'd be less of the sneaky vipers they are now. :(

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

That's the joy of having several monarchs of the land of passive-aggresiva and a 35 year old sister who can throw a sulky strop like a spoiled 17 year old.

Urf on unrelated matters I took a moment away from some work to throw the ball around for the puppy.. and in the middle of that I just got hit by a wall of exhaustion. Not physical wearing out, just that sudden "i'm about to fall over asleep" type of feeling. Putting the kettle on for a fresh cuppa I think.

You getting enough exercise? Your energy levels sound appalling.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Seriously. Maybe start taking a multivitamin as well, I know that helps me considerably.

Talking to a couple of journals. One seems fairly close to being accepted, another will require some work and painful refiddling first. Which is not cool because (a) half of my material is back in NZ and (b) I wrote this nearly 2 years ago and if I did this now I'd have done it differently from the ground up.

It would also have been nice if I could have done this before starting school here, but such is life.

I've been keeping mine topped with sugar and caffeine. Expect to hit the wall so hard I'll be picking my teeth up when I cut it.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I'll admit it could probably be better. It's more assorted walking around the village, running with the dogs, try jogging on the spot as I'm throwing toys for them to fetch, usually get in between 30-100 pressups in the evening, a few other short bursts of exercise scattered around my daily routine like doing squats when I clean my teeth... I try to blend it in rather then manage a specific focused time for exercise.

Mostly it probably comes down to how my schedule is. I don't tend to get to bed until after I get mom settled, and with her general pain levels and such its normally around 2-3am that I actually get to bed. Then wake up between 8-9am, her morning meds tend to have her a little dozy for a few hours, so the mornings tend to be that slow deal with assorted chores and properly waking up for the day.

There's that batch of rough sleep that catches up every now and again, then it'll pass. Today just seems to have been one where it just crashed big time and I've been zoning in and out this afternoon trying to push a few words around between things.

My cups of tea tend to be in nearly pint-sized mugs :( I normally go through 5 or 6 of them in a day. They generally keep me moving.

Well Steve Jobs died. Reaction should be interesting. Kind of funny to think what the reaction will be when Thomson, Stallman, Ritche, etc. buy it - thought it'll make sense.

Edited by Malcador

Well Steve Jobs died. Reaction should be interesting. Kind of funny to think what the reaction will be when Thomson, Stallman, Ritche, etc. buy it - thought it'll make sense.

I was never, and never will be, a fan of Apple products (less about Apple per se as the way tech is going as a whole). But he was a tech-wizard and a tech-trend setter...influence for decades past and to come and all of that. I admired the man for that. So it's kinda sad, if not unexpected. Stupid cancer. I wonder how Apple will do over the next decade or two....we shall see.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Well Steve Jobs died. Reaction should be interesting.

So much for "An Apple a day keeps the doctor away" :)

I know. That was bad. Too little sleep and too much work does that to you.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I liked the joke on Slashdot about him having a kernel panic. Also this one was a bit chuckle worthy - "His final will stated that he be buried in a glossy white coffin with no visible hinges or latches. And rounded corners"

Edited by Malcador

Speaking of Apple, hubs just came home with an iPad2. Work client gave it to him cause the client thinks hubs "needs it." Hubs might disagree but hey, free stuff. With the iPhone they switched him to recently (which he doesn't like much), I now get to tease my non-Apple spouse about being an i-person. :)

Guess I can take a peek at it and see what the fuss is about. I still have absolutely no use for such a thing myself, but shiny gadgets are always cool to look at regardless.

Cheers, Mr. Jobs.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Has the world become so politically polarized that two people of opposing political views cannot treat each other with civility? I have never held anyones political opinions, no matter how boneheaded or irrational, against them personally. People think they way they do because of the lessons they learned in their life experience. If you lead a totally different life from someone else, odds are you will have a totally different outlook on things. Makes perfect sense right? Anyway, I started dating this lady I met, a high school social science/civics/history teacher. We've been out a few times, it seemed like it was going well. We sparred about politics a little because she is definitely left of center but to me it's all in good fun. At least I thought so. Turns out it made her so mad that I had a totally different opinion on (insert issue name here) that she broke it off all together. And not very nicely either. Jeez, I thought a good argument was supposed to lead to some spirited make up sex and a good laugh.

What is it about the left wing types that they seems to be perpetually unhappy and they get mad that you're not pissed off too? Anyway, I'm going to pour a drink, put some pink floyd on the ipod, and sit on the porch until the coyotes howl. Then maybe howl back at them.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

What is it about the left wing types that they seems to be perpetually unhappy and they get mad that you're not pissed off too?

Yeah...it's just the left wing types. Then again right wing types always make themselves out to be Homo Superior in my experience. :)

Speaking of Apple, hubs just came home with an iPad2. Work client gave it to him cause the client thinks hubs "needs it." Hubs might disagree but hey, free stuff. With the iPhone they switched him to recently (which he doesn't like much), I now get to tease my non-Apple spouse about being an i-person. :)

Guess I can take a peek at it and see what the fuss is about. I still have absolutely no use for such a thing myself, but shiny gadgets are always cool to look at regardless.

Cheers, Mr. Jobs.

I hated it at first too, but reading websites like a book on your bed or sofa is awesome among other things

Speaking of Apple, hubs just came home with an iPad2. Work client gave it to him cause the client thinks hubs "needs it." Hubs might disagree but hey, free stuff. With the iPhone they switched him to recently (which he doesn't like much), I now get to tease my non-Apple spouse about being an i-person. :sorcerer:

Cheers, Mr. Jobs.

I hated it at first too, but reading websites like a book on your bed or sofa is awesome among other things

Linus Torvalds and Bill Gates Lives.

Who else lives? Richard Stallman. What else do I need? Chris Taylor said he wanted Fallout Online by Inteprlay ported to many platforms. But if he had to pick just one he prefered Mac over Linux. I asked, wouuld the second be linux? yes I think he said.

i might just offer to port it to linux for them. i imagine by the time i finish my game i will be capable of doing so.

I will miss Steve Jobs. I think one of the google guy's should step up to offer a merger, or the head of state at facebook should join apple to regain the hipster power pool zing zing.

redacted

Almost forgot it's election day here. Wonder if I can use this to get out of work earlier - can also avoid the damn line up at the polls. Elections for every level in the past year too, heh.

Having one of those.. mildly annoying days. Mom's going in for the surgery that was delayed tomorrow. So sorting out various prep for that and juggling with other tasks. Of course, it feels like every 5 minutes I'm getting interupted or distracted by other people coming in to ask questions or some totally random and needless half conversation/statement before they putter back out.

Punch a CRT monitor, works well, provided you can find those. I never did find out how my friend's experiment of tossing one of those out a 14th floor balcony went, incidentally.

Has the world become so politically polarized that two people of opposing political views cannot treat each other with civility? I have never held anyones political opinions, no matter how boneheaded or irrational, against them personally. People think they way they do because of the lessons they learned in their life experience. If you lead a totally different life from someone else, odds are you will have a totally different outlook on things. Makes perfect sense right? Anyway, I started dating this lady I met, a high school social science/civics/history teacher. We've been out a few times, it seemed like it was going well. We sparred about politics a little because she is definitely left of center but to me it's all in good fun. At least I thought so. Turns out it made her so mad that I had a totally different opinion on (insert issue name here) that she broke it off all together. And not very nicely either. Jeez, I thought a good argument was supposed to lead to some spirited make up sex and a good laugh.

What is it about the left wing types that they seems to be perpetually unhappy and they get mad that you're not pissed off too? Anyway, I'm going to pour a drink, put some pink floyd on the ipod, and sit on the porch until the coyotes howl. Then maybe howl back at them.

There's a lady I'd have my eye on if we didn't have such polarised political views. She's got integrity, and spirit, and that's more than half a romance right there. But I get the same feeling you do, that left wingers are purists. It's as much about how you get there a where you get to. Me, I want folks to be happy, have a decent crack at life, and know they lived. I'm not dogmatic about how that happens (I probably am) :lol:.

Actually, in general I much prefer being with someone who isn't like me. Fights ensue, but it's ten times more interesting, and you learn a lot in the process.

Anyway, good day today. Plenty got done.

-Elwood Blues