What you did today

Tale

Going to New Orleans tomorrow for work. This trip will wrap up a huge project that has been a big priority of ours for the last few months. Should make for a nice little bonus at years end. Unfortunately this will be the last design project we do. Going forward the company is returning the lower cost, higher stability job of network management For me it will mean a return to the more mundane work (FCC license management & FAA tower compliance) I originally hired on for. I am seriously thinking about striking out on my own with a design/consulting business. If anyone out there has a BSEE or equivalent experience in RF Network and Microwave design/maintenance and a FCC GROL/1st Class and don't mind working long hours for low pay send me your resume.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Mom's not doing so well. Depression/memory/hospital visits etc. Old age (almost 80) + lingering spousal grief. Think she might be one of those that never quite recovers after the death of the very long term spouse. She was doing ok last time I saw her some time ago, but...things can happen fast. Memory/social wise she's starting to remind me of grandmother (mom's mom) quite a bit.

...this is going to be an emotionally bad upcoming year, I can feel it. *moody*

On the bright side...um...well, my own health/life is still good. :) Also, Breaking Bad's season ending episode was the super-awesome. Thought that might be a final series ender but guess they plan on one more final season.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Actually ... a few distilleries I have visited actually encourage exactly one ice cube in order to soften the alcohol to release some of the notes that are not readily apparent otherwise :) I'm just sayin' ...

Barbarians! :o

@Guard Dog: Different lines of work, yet parts of it sounds strikingly familiar. High risk interesting projects versus the less glamorous ones that ensures you can pay rent in any foreseeable future. I like the first ones better, my employer the latter ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Saw that - i7core will do you fine. It's what's running my XPS system and gaming is good. I did not look at your video card though ...

@ Hurlshot - specs?

I put a link to it in the tech forum. I hope it's a good choice.

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

Actually ... a few distilleries I have visited actually encourage exactly one ice cube in order to soften the alcohol to release some of the notes that are not readily apparent otherwise :) I'm just sayin' ...

@Guard Dog: Different lines of work, yet parts of it sounds strikingly familiar. High risk interesting projects versus the less glamorous ones that ensures you can pay rent in any foreseeable future. I like the first ones better, my employer the latter ;)

High risk sounds awesome until it doesn't pay off. :)

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Thats part of the fun. If you screw up, you're royally screwed (been there, done that) and if you succeed, you feel so very much alive (been there, done that too) :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Thats part of the fun. If you screw up, you're royally screwed (been there, done that) and if you succeed, you feel so very much alive (been there, done that too) :)

I hear you. I've had a lot of the former and a little of the latter, just enough to make you believe it's possible. But, I've got until the end of the year to decide. I can't make a move before then for a few reasons.

Anyway, I'm on the road to the Big Easy at 0500 tomorrow so good night all.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Actually ... a few distilleries I have visited actually encourage exactly one ice cube in order to soften the alcohol to release some of the notes that are not readily apparent otherwise ;) I'm just sayin' ...

@Guard Dog: Different lines of work, yet parts of it sounds strikingly familiar. High risk interesting projects versus the less glamorous ones that ensures you can pay rent in any foreseeable future. I like the first ones better, my employer the latter :)

Someone todl me the other day that an entrepreneur is a man who will cheerfully work 16 hours a day to avoid working 8 hours a day for someone else.

Edited by Walsingham

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

And now to really strike home an enjoyable morning..

The cat has diarhea, got it all stuck around its fur..then wandered the house. So stains on the carpet, the furniture, the windowsills... all attempting to clean it.. and of course the bastich cat won't let you clean it. He's going all fur-n-fang-n-claw. So managed to stick him in the travel box for a moment while some of the cleaning elsewhere gets done..

;)

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Mother of God. You need to get old testament on your pets, man. :x I'm talking scourging floods. Possibly of fire.

-Elwood Blues

Well the cat is feeling pretty damn miserable from whatever gave it the stomach troubles..

Although I'm now sporting assorted scratches up my forearms, on my chest, and he managed to slash my throat a tad.

Trying to wash a cat's behind, when the cat is that resistant to running water is not an easy solo job.

But, eh, onwards with the day.

Edit: And to be technically accurate.. none of them are mine.. All three are actually my sister's pets.. :x

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Actually ... a few distilleries I have visited actually encourage exactly one ice cube in order to soften the alcohol to release some of the notes that are not readily apparent otherwise ;) I'm just sayin' ...

So you only drink cask strength? :x

Took 750 pages of photocopies and lamented the fact that wearing a microskirt while riding a bicycle doesn't happen back home. :ermm:

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I learned three things. One, the double space after a period is a holdover from typewriters with monospaced font. It's considered incorrect in modern typing on computers. Two, this forum automatically turns a double space into a single space. But that's because it truncates all amount of spacing to just one space. Three, the double spacing habit is really hard to break.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Did some Fall yard-work - evening meeting to follow ...

As for spaces: Tale when I finished my first Graduate Thesis there was a very long, dry conversation not about content, but my choice to use on single space as per updated MLA standards. Old school Profs were not impressed :x

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

I learned three things. One, the double space after a period is a holdover from typewriters with monospaced font. It's considered incorrect in modern typing on computers. Two, this forum automatically turns a double space into a single space. But that's because it truncates all amount of spacing to just one space. Three, the double spacing habit is really hard to break.

Hah, yeah it is. I keep doing it though, was drilled into me by mom when she was teaching me to type (and the way to properly space a letter as well). Today has sucked, I can understand why all the guys working here drink so much.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

As for spaces: Tale when I finished my firtst Graduate Thesis there was a very long, dry conversation not about content, but my choice to use on single space as per updated MLA standards. Old school Profs were not impressed :)

Two spaces is still the rule in a some environments. I'm thinking specifically of court filings in many jurisdictions-- judges have a lot in common Old-school Professors.

To thoroughly change the subject, the personal issue I had mentioned a couple weeks ago in this space is resolved, and not in a particularly happy manner. By the time we got to the follow-up/second opinion last Monday, the little guy's heart had stopped beating. We had a good amount of warning that this was a likely outcome, and we take some solace in that unhappy resolution now is greatly preferable over an unhappy resolution 3 months from now. The associated medical stuff (induced labor, delivery, recovery from such) has also all gone well so far. But, of course, we're still sad about the whole thing. We've had a lot of family around, which has helped. And my admiration for Mrs. E has only increased with how well she has handled all of this (her immediate family too-- those folks rock).

My condolences Enoch :(

Not much to say that would make a difference. Hope you'll end up with a large family some day :)

Condolences, Enoch.

Small comfort, but I'm glad to hear your wife's health wasn't endangered.

-Elwood Blues