Deus Ex 3

Damned peer pressure. :sorcerer:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The one downside to the resource mechanic is that it feels penalizing to have more than one battery. This devalues all battery upgrades except faster regen, as a result.

I know I'm not the only one, but I've not had more than a single battery charged since the first enemy in the first mission. Takedowns become too expensive when they get rid of a limited resource. Same for punch-through-walls. And then once that resource becomes unlimited, you're not really wanting to go back.

I might eat an energy bar later if I really really need to use cloak for more than 4 seconds. But that's the only reason I can see for it. I'm thinking that all bars need to recharge, even if depleted. Just slowly. That way there's some actual value there for more regular use.

I felt like this at first but then I understood the logic behind it, they really don't want you to be a powerhouse. Downside to all that power, you run on batteries use your augs wisely. Guess this isn't a game for people who want to be overpowered.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I felt like this at first but then I understood the logic behind it, they really don't want you to be a powerhouse. Downside to all that power, you run on batteries use your augs wisely. Guess this isn't a game for people who want to be overpowered.

I don't see how it'd make you a powerhouse. I'm not saying unlimited energy or fast recharging. The last battery is simply far superior to all other batteries. Meaning there's no reason to buy more batteries. You can just chow on power bars instead if you absolutely can't wait for the recharge. Which is a corner case, most of the time.

The most common ability to use battery on is the takedown. But using takedown when you have more than one battery full is a waste of a battery, since it kills that battery, that would have been better used on another power that might still allow regen.

It either needs all batteries to regen, but to take longer, much longer, or to allow takedowns to not kill the entire battery, so it can recover from infrequent use.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

i liked hacking at first, but now im kind of sick of it. i liked the hacking better in deus ex. it was a lot faster and more tense. i dont hate the hacking in HR, just think its a bit tedious. maybe upgrading my stealth hacking will make it go faster?

in my second playthrough i now have 5 praxis points saved up. im not sure what to spend them on... i'll probably just save them until i really need a specific upgrade to do something i want, then use it for that purpose.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I don't see how it'd make you a powerhouse. I'm not saying unlimited energy or fast recharging. The last battery is simply far superior to all other batteries. Meaning there's no reason to buy more batteries. You can just chow on power bars instead if you absolutely can't wait for the recharge. Which is a corner case, most of the time.

The most common ability to use battery on is the takedown. But using takedown when you have more than one battery full is a waste of a battery, since it kills that battery, that would have been better used on another power that might still allow regen.

It either needs all batteries to regen, but to take longer, much longer, or to allow takedowns to not kill the entire battery, so it can recover from infrequent use.

They probly wanted to curve the familiar approach of stealth being the "solve all" of the gaming world. Plus the fact that if you are allowed to kill multiple assailants it makes the stealth approach silly overpowered when you add the final bonuses. I guess the devs wanted to push the gamer from the usual takedown X enemies and move on to the next area approach to stealth and stop anyone from abusing it to become fastly overepowered.

I actually found it refreshing, since I finally found a game that actually penalizes me for rash actions that would actually blow my cover in RL while it rewards me for being completely unseen.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I had this game pre-ordered but couldn't be bothered to pick it up today. Maybe next week.

Maybe I'll try an unarmed/social build. That's possible, right? I'm sick of stealth and cover-shooter mechanics.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I had this game pre-ordered but couldn't be bothered to pick it up today. Maybe next week.

Maybe I'll try an unarmed/social build. That's possible, right? I'm sick of stealth and cover-shooter mechanics.

i think you need to carry at least 1 weapon, even if you plan on sneaking past every enemy in the game. the reason you need at least 1 weapon: boss fights are unavoidable.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

i think you need to carry at least 1 weapon, even if you plan on sneaking past every enemy in the game. the reason you need at least 1 weapon: boss fights are unavoidable.

I use my pistol for mines as well. I'm sure there are plenty of uses for weapons that don't involve creating holes in people.

Can't you defeat them with words, forcing them to commit suicide after picking the red or blue option, like in Mass Effect?

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

In that case, the game can wait or you may even want a refund since it's kinda core mechanism. If you haven't gotten it from what people had written here so far, there is no unarmed-build...there is just a simple take-down system, which works in the context of the stealth mechanism, with a few enhancements related with it.

The reason why I refrain myself from taking down enemies in stealth action games is that I know it makes the game less interesting. Since the game implemented it in its own system, I don't need to be so "self-disciplined," which is why I think it's a good idea or an interesting approach, at least. I miss climbing/lighting factors but it's a decent blend of cover-shooter and stealth mechanism, I think.

Can't you defeat them with words, forcing them to commit suicide after picking the red or blue option, like in Mass Effect?
Seems to be no complete social path...minor spoiler for the first two bosses

I persuaded the first boss but I didn't have the option for the second one

. This bugs me but it is same in the original Deus Ex...my usual "tactics" is to keep explosives and spam them against bosses and I ended up with repeating it in this game. It's actually a shame...they made decent mini-games but boss fights seem to mean frontal attack. Nice that reviews had decreased my expectations in this area.

As for social enhancement (build), I wonder...I'm still at the beginning but it is quite possible to profile manually at this stage. For example (minor spoiler about the characters of unnamed NPCs),

I came across with an NPC who feels he was treated unfairly. Naturally, he wants sympathy but he has a habit of accusing the others in gripping on his injured pride. So, basically, the player needs to let Adam show his compassion while preventing the NPC from retreating to his self-indulgence. Also, I came across a "confident" type who hates to be counter-argued and tries to change subject when he feels losing his control on the topic. The players need to show that Adam is not counter-arguing him while keeping the conversation on track.

You can see these from the dialogues even without the social argumentation. You see why Oblivion couldn't do this...it requires insightful writers and much more clear visions for each NPC. A possible question here is whether the players can role-play Adam since he is basically trying to manipulate NPCs. However so far, I don't feel Adam too manipulative probably because this cannot be done without understanding NPCs. As a result, the conversation feels quite humane. The system is important but the content, too, which is why I didn't like Obsidian lose too many writers...

Actually, later on you don't even need a weapon your Typhoon augment just rips anything apart.

I think I'm basically at the end (according to my achieves I've got basically only the "ending" one left), and honestly I found the entire game to be... lacking the conspiracy that Deus Ex is supposed to have in it. I mean there's one there, but it's not really relevant as much as it would have been previously.

I still loved the various little nods to the events of the first game (Tracer Tong has emails, Versalife on medical stuff, you meet one of the founding members of the NSF if you look at it right).

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Note that other batteries do recharge, but only if you don't drain them completely. Takedowns drain a whole cell of course, but using 3 sec cloak for just 2 seconds will allow the battery to recharge.

nope, they are like metal gear solid boss fights. the first boss takes about 12 magnum rounds in the face before he dies. save a good weapon, or a lot of grenades.

edit: at least the boss fights in the original deus ex could be solved with a single gep gun shot, or rifle grenade. no such luck here.

Edited by entrerix

Apart from that, GOTY. Amazing to see a novice studio make a game this... perfect, when seasoned veterans can't quite get it right. May Eidos Montreal enjoy a prosperous future, and keep making games that sure as hell aren't Pg13'd for maximum appeal.

Well, the devs themselves are pretty seasoned. The game is a combination of having good devs and beeing able to go all out. That has happened now twice this year (Witcher2) so hopefully this will also be a sign to publishers to work on a better basis with dev studios.

Note that other batteries do recharge, but only if you don't drain them completely. Takedowns drain a whole cell of course, but using 3 sec cloak for just 2 seconds will allow the battery to recharge.
I haven't upgraded the charge but I've gotten an impression that the first battery slot is also designed as a minimum asset to avoid the players' being stuck without any energy.

edit: at least the boss fights in the original deus ex could be solved with a single gep gun shot, or rifle grenade. no such luck here.
Guess they "balanced" the combat, then, which is not bad for sure, but, for an RPG, I'd rather like to see various ways to deal with bosses, hopefully specific to each build.

Well, the devs themselves are pretty seasoned. The game is a combination of having good devs and beeing able to go all out. That has happened now twice this year (Witcher2) so hopefully this will also be a sign to publishers to work on a better basis with dev studios.
Whoever make them, it's nice to see good writings and interesting settings show their worth to publishers.

So here's a thing that might not have been mentioned yet: If you have a conversation in which you have to do convincing / can use the socializing aug, and then reload the game to retry the conversation, the game will load alternate line readings that differ in order and phrasing. That's what people are saying, anywy. I've had one experience that bears this out (I thought I was just tired and mishearing things, but I definitely chose the same option twice and the sequence was definitely different). That's pretty cool, guess maybe they got to use multiple line readings?

I've also heard that in order to scuttle savescumming attempts, the optimal path through a conversation can change with reloads as well. That seems dubious to me, but if it's true it's ****ing cool. Games tend to get savaged on this forum but I think if you took AP's convo system and integrated it into DX:HR you could have something damn near close to a perfect game. I don't say that lightly.

Edited by Pop

I pre-ordered the game but can't play it right now because I just moved to a new house with no net yet so I am typing this via my smartphone as a modem. 2GB data cap on that though. I could download it at my girlfriend's, but she doesn't get back from Sydney until Monday afternoon at which point we'll be too busy ****ing for me to play DX3 anyway.

First world problems.

Edited by Krezack

I too am getting the urge to restart because I don't like my build.

This time I'm going with Hacking (5) and inventory upgrade (3) No energy upgrade above 2. That should make me a lot of money, and the capacity to pick up and carry lots of extra ammo. I'll factor in the jumping and strength augs when I get to Shanghai. I don't see the point of typhoon except against mechs and turrets since it requires energy you aren't likely to be able to use it when you need it the most. This could be said for most activated augs though. Better to max one out and leave it at that than to get them all.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Actually, later on you don't even need a weapon your Typhoon augment just rips anything apart.

I think I'm basically at the end (according to my achieves I've got basically only the "ending" one left), and honestly I found the entire game to be... lacking the conspiracy that Deus Ex is supposed to have in it. I mean there's one there, but it's not really relevant as much as it would have been previously.

I still loved the various little nods to the events of the first game (Tracer Tong has emails, Versalife on medical stuff, you meet one of the founding members of the NSF if you look at it right).

Hm, well that's a bit disappointing.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Well I think I spent about 13 hours in total on my first Detroit hub time before I headed China-ways. Now I've added about another five or so hours in that rather delightful multi-tiered city and helped the pilot find a murderer..

I've got to admit, balancing the augs is a twitchy business on exactly what you want.. I meant to pick up stealth and some hacking.. and ended up picking up all the ones that help you explore first.. icarus landing, jumping, smash through walls (although so far I've only come across about 3 of them..and they were all around detroit), with some hacking skills. Mostly relying on being sneaky without the camo-system at the moment...

Dumped the whisperhead sniper rifle in Adam's apartment because I just wasn't using it and it took up way too much inventory space.

I'm having fun, but I don't seem to be finding that many sidequests in the second hub.. not compared to what there were in Detroit.

Still, time for a pause, some moments away from the game to have that break...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."