Deus Ex 3

Not surprised people already beat it, 15 hours or so. So, decent length to it. Still waiting to hear negatives about the game rather than a stream of "OMG this game is awesometastic!" style crap from my friends that have it.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'll guess the game is pretty short if you run through it and don't take your time with exploring.

I really hope it will not be 15 hours for me. That would be disappointing.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

To further torment our British and other European fellows, it's spoiler time!

Jensen is a clone. Wait, did you really just read that? I made it up, but you shouldn't be even reading my made up spoilers, silly people.

Are you still reading? Now that's just stupid. And actually, there may be Jensen clones. Patient-X is AJ09. Though it's probably just Jensen with extra numbers tacked on to hide it.

That's not nearly as big a spoiler as it sounds. You find out Patient-X's designation in the first ebook in the first room of the game. The rest is speculation.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Still waiting to hear negatives about the game rather than a stream of "OMG this game is awesometastic!" style crap from my friends that have it.

The loading times are horrendous. It's not so troublesome to live through when you're entering a new area or whatever but it becomes a real pain in the ass when reloading saves if you die and such. Some areas can take a bit of reloading to get through and waiting for the loading really sucks.

I just fought one so far but the boss battles appear to be made of suck. It's true for the first one at least. Couple this with a very high deadliness (you die very easily, normally a good thing but not in the boss-battles), lots of reloading and the above mentioned loading times and, well...

Not too many people have this problem but I personally find the cover system to be rather clunky to use, though it's not game-breaking. Also, the takedown cutscenes are awkward and the concept of using energy for takedowns feels a bit cheap.

Those are the main negatives that stand out for me so far. Thoroughly enjoying the game all in all.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Also, the takedown cutscenes are awkward and the concept of using energy for takedowns feels a bit cheap.

The reasons for the energy use actually came up in one of the interviews. Apparently they did implement takedowns without any energy use, but the testers would go through entire levels just using takedowns and not bothering to "find" any of the alternate routes or actually put that much thinking into it. So in the attempt to balance it out and make sure folks would do more.. they decided game balance needed that energy use just to put a slight check in...

Swings and roundabouts I guess...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Yeah, it's easy to see the gameplay reason for it when you're playing the game. You really could breeze through the game, but it feels like a backwards design somehow. I normally like micromanaging resources in RPGs as well but using energy for something like takedowns just feels weird to me. And I really hate that the game switches to a cutscene style when you do them. I don't know how it works in terms of enemies being able to detect you or not but it just feels really awkward in that the camera gets taken away from the player in a moment where you might very well be surrounded by enemies who could spot you at any time. I mean, the result might still be the same if I was stuck in an animation in first-person mode but it just *feels* wrong to have the camera detach like that and watch the animation play out.

Would've really preferred a melee-weapon system of some kind.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I'll guess the game is pretty short if you run through it and don't take your time with exploring.

I really hope it will not be 15 hours for me. That would be disappointing.

I'm at 11 hours and am still in the first hub. i'm expecting the game will be at least 25-35 hours for someone who actually explores and hacks and reads all the terminals.

edit: and yeah, i wish i had a melee weapon, i keep expecting to find one somewhere but no luck so far. the takedowns work alright though, energy bars are plentiful, and you always have at least 1 cell because your last cell regenerates after 35 seconds (on default, augs can improve this)

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Load times for levels and stuff are fine, I have no idea why it take soooo long to load a saved game. I'm a bit anal about not raising any alarms, so it's quite inconvenient.

Everything else is fantastic though. Don't dawdle to the first mission, by the way :(

Everything else is fantastic though. Don't dawdle to the first mission, by the way :(

If you hurry too fast, I've heard that you can miss the first sidequest. Be sure to check Jensen's e-mail. I don't know if it's necessary for that sidequest, but it is related. If you hurry, you can check out the three related offices with no time problem.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

If you hurry too fast, I've heard that you can miss the first sidequest. Be sure to check Jensen's e-mail. I don't know if it's necessary for that sidequest, but it is related. If you hurry, you can check out the three related offices with no time problem.

If you don't do it before the mission, it develops further after the mission, just check your office once you're back

Still found that funny that my friend exclaimed that...if he took too long the hostages would die. Might as well grab the game tonight if it's available.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Might as well grab the game tonight if it's available.

I wouldn't pick it up from GameStop if I were you.. It looks like they might have a small bit of bad press cropping up..

GameStop removing Free Code from Deus Ex games..

Yep, posted that in news already. Was thinking places other than Gamestop though :(

Yep, posted that in news already. Was thinking places other than Gamestop though :lol:

That's what I get for not checking alll the threads .. :(

I wouldn't pick it up from GameStop if I were you.. It looks like they might have a small bit of bad press cropping up..

GameStop removing Free Code from Deus Ex games..

Whoops! They deserve to get sued for that.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.