RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

BG2's model was great - it's funny how such a little thing (i.e. "Need X from each of 4 places" to "Go to up to 4 places, earn enough money") changes the whole dynamic.

Yet when they recycled it in DA2, I didn't hear anybody like it. :wacko:

Because it wasn't very well recycled?

Raising money in Ch2 in BG2 -> Thieves Guild, Umar Hills, Windspear Hills, Planar Sphere, Unseeing Eye, Planar Prison, Trademeet

Raising money in Ch2 in DA2 -> X identical fetch/kill quests in X identical looking dungeons

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

BG2's model was great - it's funny how such a little thing (i.e. "Need X from each of 4 places" to "Go to up to 4 places, earn enough money") changes the whole dynamic.

Yet when they recycled it in DA2, I didn't hear anybody like it. ;)

Because it wasn't very well recycled?

Raising money in Ch2 in BG2 -> Thieves Guild, Umar Hills, Windspear Hills, Planar Sphere, Unseeing Eye, Planar Prison, Trademeet

Raising money in Ch2 in DA2 -> X identical fetch/kill quests in X identical looking dungeons

It didn't feel that bad to me, but you might have gotten me there. :wacko:

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Apparently "not epic enough" is the new "poor writing", the last-ditch complaint when you can't think of anything else.

That and "generic". You don't really have to know anything or about books/art/and so on and you are always right since nearly everything has been done before in one way or another. Hell, you don't even have to fully experience it like Morgoth elegantly demonstrates here.

Also Shooters get just as much critizied for their length/pacing than other games. Theres no "perfect balance" for everyone to enjoy. The reason Shooters sell more than Rpgs is easy. It's the same reason there are less D&D Nerds than there are Gun Lovers on this planet. Everyones favorite activity is to shoot things.

Apparently "not epic enough" is the new "poor writing", the last-ditch complaint when you can't think of anything else.

That and "generic". You don't really have to know anything or about books/art/and so on and you are always right since nearly everything has been done before in one way or another. Hell, you don't even have to fully experience it like Morgoth elegantly demonstrates here.

Also Shooters get just as much critizied for their length/pacing than other games. Theres no "perfect balance" for everyone to enjoy. The reason Shooters sell more than Rpgs is easy. It's the same reason there are less D&D Nerds than there are Gun Lovers on this planet. Everyones favorite activity is to shoot things.

Quoted for awesome.

Modern Warfare 3 headsets

Found that pretty amusing. Also, somehow I managed to do that completely backwards. Go me.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

the link is broken

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

"Maybe older games just left a stronger impression because you had to use your imagination to make up for the shortcomings in presentation? Never underestimate the power of imagination"

More like the fact that games were development was really young, the gamers were rather young, and there was very little to compare them to.

People whined about facing two dragons at once in the NWN games (both aprtys) yet the GB games would throw multiple easily killable drgaons at you for no reason but **** and giggles. They would give you mass phat loot and nopbody blinked a but nowadays you get one or two magic items early and people whine the loot was too phat. LMAO

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Or it could be the fact that less and less developers are taking risks. On this market economy everyone seems to be playing it safe, mechanics (sadly) seem to have peaked.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

"Or it could be the fact that less and less developers are taking risks. On this market economy everyone seems to be playing it safe, mechanics (sadly) seem to have peaked."

Yeah, because the GB games were so risky... LMAO

Game companies were never about risks.. theyw ere about being successful.

Plus,. you reply to me but at the very same time ignore what are you replying too. LMAO

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Or it could be the fact that less and less developers are taking risks. On this market economy everyone seems to be playing it safe, mechanics (sadly) seem to have peaked.

Risks, such as they were, were a lot more viable when your team had <15 people on it - and selling 250k units was mind-blowing (I think that's what Pool of Radiance was advertised for). Of course, I have to agree that there was absolutely no risk in any of the gold boxes, pretty much the opposite.

Interestingly, I think it's also the last time a good crpg/pnp cross promotion was done. Or, well, Curse of the Azure Bonds was. ;)

It looks disturbingly like Half-Life 2.

Does remind me of it. Not all together disturbing though.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

On reflection, an only moderately worn dystopia with light anachronisms is disturbingly underdone.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

dishonored looks pretty cool, a little half life 2, a little 1920's. i dont think the art alone is enough to get me to buy it, but good art/design can make a great game greater.

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

If 4.5 out of 10 is "bad," what is < 4.5? :>

/edit: But the new Call of Juarez didn't looked pretty good from the very beginning, imo. They should have sticked to the old wild west stuff. I mean, I can see why they wanted to go away from that and try something newer, but ... meh.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

If 4.5 out of 10 is "bad," what is < 4.5? :>

/edit: But the new Call of Juarez didn't looked pretty good from the very beginning, imo. They should have sticked to the old wild west stuff. I mean, I can see why they wanted to go away from that and try something newer, but ... meh.

Horrible, pathetic, awful...? I don't know pick your negative word. Either way I'd certainly describe a 4.5 as 'bad'.

Completely agree that CoJ should have stayed in the old west.